Elephant Dung Paper!~

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Elephant Dung Paper!~

Postby media » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:37 pm

As most of you know, whenever I come across something really odd while gleaning the news sources, I like to pass it along, fearful that it might be overlooked, and pass into the dustbin of journalism, unknown and unappreciated.

http://www.eureka.lk/elefound/recycling.htm

A whiff of ingenuity...
At the Millennium Elephant Foundation a little dung goes a long, long way, as elephant waste is recycled and turned into sheets of paper. A factory on-site produces hand-made paper to any thickness and a variety of colors.
You are what you eat
The texture and color of the 'pachyderm paper' varies depending on the diet of the elephants, and how well they digest their food. The paper also differs depending on what other ingredients are mixed with the dung in the manufacturing process, for example tea, paddy husks or onion peel. The paper is mixed with dyes to get dozens of different colors.

Getting the Maximus out of elephants
Maximus (Pvt) Limited has a factory and retail outlet in the capital Colombo. Using the recycled paper they take orders for corporate stationery, calendars, cards, bags, boxes. In fact, anything you can think of, they can make.
media
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:50 pm

Finally!!

This will make my habit of drawing on turds much easier.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby media » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:53 pm

so .. if they make toilet paper you are really just wiping your ass with more shit....
media
BFCus Regularus

Postby Jimbo » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:51 am

Elephant dung toilet paper has been produced in Thailand for a while now, I believe they also make writing stationary using pachyderm poo as well. However most people here choose to use a water spray thingy to clean their arse after a crap, it saves paper and is better for the environment. So I don't know what they use the dung TP for...blowing their nose perhaps....
Jimbo
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe