The Fascist-Imperialist Danes Must Be Stopped!

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

The Fascist-Imperialist Danes Must Be Stopped!

Postby SRR » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:16 am

First Han Island, now this.... I say the Canucks and the Russians form a 'coalition of the willing' for a little pre-emptive ass-whupping of those imperialist dogs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3716178.stm

Denmark hopes to claim North Pole

Denmark hopes to claim the North Pole and search for oil in high Arctic regions, the Science Ministry has said.

It announced that the country would send a team to try to prove that the seabed beneath the North Pole was a natural continuation of Greenland.

The world's largest island is a semi-independent Danish territory whose northern tip is around 725km (450 miles) from the Pole.

Possible claimants to the area with the Pole also include Russia and Canada.

"We're seeing a growing focus on and fight for the resources in the Arctic, especially as the global warming makes the region more accessible," Samantha Smith of the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) told Reuters news agency.

New resources

Danish scientists hope to prove through hi-tech measurements that Greenland's continental socket is attached to a huge ridge beneath the floating Arctic ice, the Associated Press reports.

The country has allocated 150 million kroner ($25m) for the project on the Lomonosov Ridge and four other potential claim areas around Greenland, reports say.

Science Minister Helge Sander said last week that success would give Denmark access to "new resources such as oil and natural gas".

The Danish bid also rests on a UN convention that allows coastal nations to claim rights to offshore seabed resources.

Countries that ratify it have 10 years to prove they have a fair claim to the offshore territory and its resources.

"First, we have to make the scientific claim. After that, there will be a political process with the other countries," science ministry official Thorkild Meedom said.

But experts have warned that it could take years to sort out the overlapping potential claims in the Arctic.

Canada and Russia are making similar investigations around the North Pole, the Associated Press reports.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby Kurt » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:33 pm

We must protect icey wastlands from the wiley Northmen.

Their longboats are no match for our Christian God.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Skirita » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:51 pm

"The white hair of the sea is shaken... that wild wind means sleep for me;
tonight I fear no Viking raiders - they will not brave the Irish Sea"

Anonymous (Old Irish, c. 800 CE)
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." - W.B. Yeats
Skirita
Malus In Se

Postby goat balls » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:05 pm

Kurt's right man...

Hell..when I finish my business here in Florida, I'll re-up and go in for the attack.

But...I want a harem of their women for my efforts.
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Reparations for the Irish

Postby Mikethehack » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:13 pm

The Vikings came to Ireland,trashed Dublin (look at the state of it today-still a mess),raped our women and looted our homes-it's never too late for war reparations.
Should (allowing for interest rates) be in the high trillions by now.
But I'm not greedy-I'll make do with 20 of their finest women.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby Prodigal Son » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:26 pm

Canada has also been showing the flag in its icy north -- I read recently that Ottawa sent a military patrol into Canada's arctic island chain to stress its territorial claims. With global warming allegedly at work, warming trends in the great white north may make these islands valuable in the future. I guess ice-free channels would open up the "Northwest Passage" and significantly reduce the time it takes to sail from Europe to the Far East.

Of course...the real prize will probably be Antarctica...just think of all the untapped resources under the ice. A whole new continent to exploit.
Prodigal Son
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:34 pm

Of course...the real prize will probably be Antarctica...just think of all the untapped resources under the ice. A whole new continent to exploit.

That's what Margaret Thatcher's war with Argentina over the Malvinas/Falklands was mainly about -- ensuring British claims to a few spots of land that would give us claim to a slice of the pie.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Buzzsaw » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:55 pm

Penta wrote:That's what Margaret Thatcher's war with Argentina over the Malvinas/Falklands was mainly about -- ensuring British claims to a few spots of land that would give us claim to a slice of the pie.

You conveniently ignore the part where Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands on April 2, 1982. That might have had something to do with "Thatcher's War."
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby mach1 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:22 pm

"We're seeing a growing focus on and fight for the resources in the Arctic, especially as the global warming makes the region more accessible,"

Like wild dogs around a carcass?
mach1
Postus Allthefuckingtimeus

Postby Kurt » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:27 pm

Sorry Mike.

My relatives that came over in the 1860's from Norway had done so by finding a small stash of treasure in a peat bog on the Island of Hundvakoy. Rumor was it was from Ireland.

Beer is on me as part of my reparations to the Irish between 800 & 1000 AD.

But on the other hand, we knew when to leave at least...unlike some *cough England* nations out there.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Penta » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:18 pm

Buzzsaw wrote:You conveniently ignore the part where Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands on April 2, 1982. That might have had something to do with "Thatcher's War."

Yeah, but she wouldn't have gone to all that trouble just for a bit of scrubby land, a few sheep, a lot of penguins, seaweed, and 1800 people. And I did say that's what it was 'mainly' about. Possibility of oil, too.

I didn't notice her attacking the USA over the invasion of Grenada; did you? The Queen was very pissed off about the illegal invasion of one of her countries, or hadn't you heard? Course, she's still got a few, so one more here or there probably doesn't make much difference. It's a question of the niceties, though: they didn't even ask, or apologise afterwards, those ex-colonial upstarts.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Return to Black Flag Cafe