So.... quick question

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: So.... quick question

Postby RYP » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:51 pm

Bobby Sands...you were funnier when you were funny.

The Flag is a rectal thermometer of adventure. Sometimes it gets hot, sometimes it cools off but you still gotta admit its the shittiest and most embarrassing way to get travel information from people who actual work and travel in shitholes.

The Flag is what it is. The more famous I is, the lower the quality of poster. The more I stay under the radar the more I like it. Things will change dramatically in a few months so enjoy the mellow tickover.

Saying that, I will note that we have been a little short of village idiots lately.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby coldharvest » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:29 pm

RYP wrote:Saying that, I will note that we have been a little short of village idiots lately.

we can fix that right pronto if Kurt leaves the screen-door open.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Kurt » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:34 pm

coldharvest wrote:
RYP wrote:Saying that, I will note that we have been a little short of village idiots lately.

we can fix that right pronto if Kurt leaves the screen-door open.

The screen door is open it prevents the screen from being broken by the baby when I throw out the bathwater.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Bronco » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Kurt wrote:If those of you who actually care could answer this and perhaps help me come to a decision I would appreciate it.

Pro-Penta: Is the BFC your only way to have contact with her? If not, then did she ask you to advocate for her return on the BFC?

Yes, I know of Penta in another place and communicate now and then, but my statements supporting her return are based on the way she left, not because she asked me to take any part of this. I just think it was wrong to ban her at all. Many of us have kicked some sacred cows and have been yelled at for it, but most of us were forgiven.
"I used to care, but things have changed"
Bob Dylan
Bronco
Old Man On The Mountain

Postby Kurt » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:04 pm

Bronco wrote:
Kurt wrote:If those of you who actually care could answer this and perhaps help me come to a decision I would appreciate it.

Pro-Penta: Is the BFC your only way to have contact with her? If not, then did she ask you to advocate for her return on the BFC?

Yes, I know of Penta in another place and communicate now and then, but my statements supporting her return are based on the way she left, not because she asked me to take any part of this. I just think it was wrong to ban her at all. Many of us have kicked some sacred cows and have been yelled at for it, but most of us were forgiven.

You do realize she was banned for reasons other than her politics right?

Remember that the main reason she was banned was because she revealed personal information about people here that got deleted ...or in some cases not deleted when it happened in chat. It is not the kind of offenses that people just bring up and say "then she said __________ about my ___________" because that would bring it all up again.

So lets at least be clear as to why she was banned. It was not politics. I am sorry I cannot go into more details about the specifics because I am not at liberty to bring up a topic that people did not want brought up for a reason (hence the ban).
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby seektravelinfo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:17 pm

Anti-Penta: Would a continued ban make you happy? Like as in noticeably happy....or would it make you just less grumpy than normal? Would you leave if she returned?

I said not to long ago that there was no way I would preside over her return and here I am asking these questions so I am not going to take comments about my inflexibility very well.

For people who think I am caving in, remember that if I was inflexible about everything my favorite band would still be REO Speedwagon followed closely by April Wine.

Questions #1 & #2:
Neutral-Penta/Pro Inclusion & Freedom of Expression: it's all kinds of mixed nuts that make up the bowl. Maybe Penta is the Brazil Nut, and I don't like Brazil Nuts as much as the other nuts but I'm not going to give the nuts to the baby to sort through and remove while bathing, for the whole lot to be thrown away. There is been no contact (from me) with Penta, or even any dialogue. Occasionally I have seen her in chat and made like a greyhound to run off.

I say live and let live. It is unseemly for grown ass people to be even having this discussion. She is not disturbed, she is not a fantasist, she is not harmful in any way shape or form that I can see. One thing I can say, she's got a thick skin, I give her that. Her existence in this part of cyberspace makes no druthers to me and if it matters to some then perhaps they should examine their own bad-ass selves and move on, instead of going all shock and awe in "Get Penta".
I mean, really.

There is a whole world out there. This means nothing. I'd rather be reading and talking and arguing about the whole world than this balderdash.
(cool word, innit, Kurt?)

Meanwhile, Turkey is fixing to go into Syria. We (the great great great great USA) are secretly arming the Syrian rebels.
The PKK has established a base in N. Syria. Alleppo is burning. Damascus is burning. Kofi Annan has resigned.

Kurt, don't be a Kofi Annan.

Now, let's all raise a toast to an independent and autonomous Kurdistan. Let the parties begin. BYOB
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bobby Sands » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:59 pm

Ultra Swain wrote:At what point do we all just get over this already?

When will we all get over the Holocaust?
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Postby muskrat » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:52 pm

Penta is OK imho. In my view she was pushed by the poster 'Peanut' & a couple of others that had her personal info, whereabouts, pics of houses, family members etc who were going to release them. Someone used this info to make personal threats regarding her family from my understanding. So she pushed back.

I agree with Ultra the 2nd Penta war was clearly fucked up.

Cheers M.
the Rat is less about criminality per se but the importance and sheer fun of using one's intellect, skill and willpower to carve a survival niche into whatever inhospitable environment one finds oneself. Damn the imposed morality of the overlords. F
muskrat
BFCus Regularus

Hand_Solo?

Postby el3so » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:28 am

It was a bit of a bigger no no than "pushing back" if memory serves.

fuckwit beyond compare
The username insults were a nice touch.
7.I TRIED TO FILM SEX WITH BEAUTIFUL GIRLS, ORGASMS, CRIMPIES, SQUIRTS - BUT ALL DON'T CARE.IN A YEAR I DOWNLOADED 180 VIDEOS OF WHICH THE MOST WATCHED ARE IN@EST, SLE@PERS AND TABOO.PEOPLE STRIVE FOR EVERYTHING WRONG AND FORBIDDEN, IT IS THEIR NATURE.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re: Hand_Solo?

Postby svizzerams » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:13 am

el3so wrote:It was a bit of a bigger no no than "pushing back" if memory serves.

fuckwit beyond compare
The username insults were a nice touch.

There was a fair amount of disinformation being bandied about - there are no complete innocents nor are the guilty necessarily as guilty as presumed or painted. But words left on a public forum speak volumes about the character of the one behind the keyboard. A little respect goes a long way toward promoting the viability of this community.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby sparrow » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:40 am

Wow, lots of opinions here. I say let her back. She held her own in political discussions and it was always interesting. She writes well and certainly better than I.

The personal shit between her and Jaeger should have just stayed that but there it was. Out there for of us all of us to see. Welcome to the internet and the world where my children consider our ideas of privacy rather quaint. But they both were antagonists at least from where I saw it. Call it a truce and get this done.

Shit, is he still with that girl?

+1 each for svizzerams and seektravelinfo.
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Postby Athena » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:46 am

Personally the board still serves the purpose it did some 15 or so years back. I can go to a reasonably trusted source for information related to austere or dangerous places. It remains better than Facebook for me since on FB I'd be using an identity connected to real life friends and family to say my house would be empty during an upcoming trip. I'd be announcing my upcoming presence someplace Americans are seen as rich and worth kidnapping.
Athena
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:48 am

boy oh boy this thing is way past its use-by date and it smells. It is done, it is history and in the whole scheme of things it is mighty insignificant. Right now while the world is falling into entropy can we not put our punditry to worthy pursuits of discussion & debate?

On a travel note, I went to Arkansas this year and am going to Amsterdam early autumn. Light weight trips I know but mellow suits me just fine these days. If anyone is going to Arkansas I recommend the Whole Hog BBQ cafe in Little Rock for the ribs and Charlotte's Sweet's in Keo for the pie. If you happen to be in Carlisle there is a catfish diner that will make you think you'd died and gone to Heaven and make sure to go to Hot Springs for a hot bath in a swell bathhouse. Also, don't miss the Clinton Library. It is hallowed ground. I'm quite sure many here would be in disagreement about that but it don't hurt my feelings one bit.

I am looking forward to the Stedlak Modern Art Museum (sp) in Amsterdam as I haven't toured it yet and will be sure to hit the Van Gogh Museum for all that high art grandeur behind their walls.

Travel question for Amsterdam: The truffles, the magic truffles, should they be chewed or swallowed whole? Svizzerams, any suggestions on that? JUST KIDDING! no I'm not.

I am going to India in March if I get my ducats in line, plan to land in New Delhi. I've not been to India yet. Anyone, suggestions regarding India, besides packing a flashlight?

Is anyone traveling on here? Besides Fansy, who is going to Iran AT THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME but what the hell. Just remember you sweet young man to duck, cover and don't look at the light.

Everyone, hold your loved ones close and let's all give Kurt a big huge thank you for putting up with the BFC for the past annus horribilness *or something like that.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bobby Sands » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:44 am

RYP wrote:Bobby Sands...you were funnier when you were funny.

I miss the old, funny Bobby Sands too. But as time has gone on, Bobby Sands has become more "real" and he isn't as edgy as before. Which, is kinda funny as this whole Penta thing is about real life intruding on a cyber forum.

I figure when you let your real identity "out" and you start hanging out in the real world with fellow posters, your "real" story is gonna seep out.

Anyway, all credit to Kurt, and Shivers, and some other select members of the BFC for not "outing" me even though I attended one of their Thanksgiving bashes in NYC. I think it is pretty cool that they have kept my rather mundane life story to themselves all these years.
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Postby svizzerams » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:11 am

It's all real life - even when we pretend it isn't..... ;-)

But I just noticed last week that I have enough frequent flier miles to go to Iceland!!!!! But first I have DC and Chicago coming up in September (DC qualifies as a DP doesn't it?) and then Chicago again in November. But first I have to go to Rally Mexico in Leon in March '13 (Remember, Patron is on me). And then there is Amsterdam and the UK...and...maybe some medics need to some Rx training in Somalia.... So travel is on my mind. Buon Viaggio etc.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe