So.... quick question

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: So.... quick question

Postby Fenrisco » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:20 am

Kurt wrote:If not, then did she ask you to advocate for her return on the BFC?

I was wondering that as well. Something else we have Facebook to thank for.

I don't expect I'd leave as such but I would probably check in rather less often, having far less time to waste on divisive, disingenuous, passive-aggressive troll posts and interminable cut-and-pasted Grauniad blether than I used to. Apart from that I don't think my emotional well-being would take too much of a hit.

However, why anyone would want to return to somewhere they've been booted out of for what should be acutely embarrassing behavior is beyond me anyway. Moving on would be the mature choice.

el3so wrote:It was a bit of a bigger no no than "pushing back" if memory serves.

Quite. We might as well be having this discussion about Mach or any other nuisance poster except they didn't get quite as weird. I don't believe that particular unpleasant quality of obsession/addiction is healthy either to the BFC or to the obsessive.

seektravelinfo wrote:boy oh boy this thing is way past its use-by date and it smells.

Couldn't agree more! Don't see why it was an issue to be dug up and bandied about at all, in fact.

el3so wrote:The username insults were a nice touch.

Yeah, I know - I miss them too; we should reinstate it as a tradition. I'm having a little trouble coming up with anything for yours though; it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.
"Do What Keepeth Thou from Wilting Shall Be the Loophole of The Law"
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dr. V » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:41 am

seektravelinfo wrote:Her being banned (although not driven away, as she frequently appears in chat) was ludicrous and a result of one individual's anger at her, whereas that individual took it upon themselves to gain mod. capabilities to ban her. .

If you think this is what happened then you really are deluded.

Firstly Penta was banned before I obtained admin powers.

Secondly It was only after discussions with RYP that I agreed to act as BFCAdmin - taking it on whilst Kurt was off learning how to programme computers in Plankalkül.

I was given a very clear steer from RYP about banning Penta. In fact early on - because the decisions were so controversial - everything was run by RYP who had the option to overturn any decision.

The forum is owned by RYP and he has the right to ban / not ban people as he sees fit. Then and now he wants Penta banned and so banned she remains. This is not a democracy. You and we (the moderators and administrators) might not always agree with his decisions but, as evidenced by the people posting elsewhere on the internet, you are free to leave at any time.
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby muskrat » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:58 am

Wow , I had no idea what really went on in that case.
the Rat is less about criminality per se but the importance and sheer fun of using one's intellect, skill and willpower to carve a survival niche into whatever inhospitable environment one finds oneself. Damn the imposed morality of the overlords. F
muskrat
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:44 am

vlindsay wrote:
seektravelinfo wrote:Her being banned (although not driven away, as she frequently appears in chat) was ludicrous and a result of one individual's anger at her, whereas that individual took it upon themselves to gain mod. capabilities to ban her. .

If you think this is what happened then you really are deluded.

Firstly Penta was banned before I obtained admin powers.

Secondly It was only after discussions with RYP that I agreed to act as BFCAdmin - taking it on whilst Kurt was off learning how to programme computers in Plankalkül.

I was given a very clear steer from RYP about banning Penta. In fact early on - because the decisions were so controversial - everything was run by RYP who had the option to overturn any decision.

The forum is owned by RYP and he has the right to ban / not ban people as he sees fit. Then and now he wants Penta banned and so banned she remains. This is not a democracy. You and we (the moderators and administrators) might not always agree with his decisions but, as evidenced by the people posting elsewhere on the internet, you are free to leave at any time.

I repeat: boy oh boy this thing is way past its use-by date and it smells

Of course the Black Flag Cafe is not a democracy nor is it any kind of political entity or system of government. There are no codified laws regulating my posts that I am aware of. It is an internet forum for chrissakes, it should not a vehicle for personal squabbles and thus as it bears repeating:
boy oh boy this thing is way past its use-by date and it smells

I know I'm free to leave at any time, you silly woman! Perhaps the decision will be made for me and I'll be banned too. You as well, are free to leave at any time. In the meantime, I'm here and would appreciate you putting your well schooled expertise into any feedback about traveling in India, which I am considering.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fenrisco » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:42 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:traveling in India

Wasn't it Dawn who had some interesting yarns to spin about getting into, and out of, various scrapes on the subcontinent a few years ago?
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:51 pm

It was never my intention to create an elitist monolithic forum where people weren't challenged. Personally I hate the naive PC of the Thorn Tree, don't really want to discuss family discounts in Orlando or even whether backpacks should be peach or purple. This forum is for folks who are going to someplace obscure and want to find someone who has been there or knows folks there.

Penta was banned not because of her opinions, but because she dabbled in obsessive vendetta activities outside of the flag. More importantly there were a number of warnings, in and outs and finally the boot. A lot of people left because of her and despite this being a autocratic dictatorship, I still have to nod when the castaways want to boot someone off the island.

I have never met her or the most of the people she went after but I don't invite people here to be harassed, threatened or life in fear. I have no problem with insults, arguments and florid cuss outs.

VLindsay is doing a great job and Kurt does his best from his solitary cel in an undisclosed SuperMax facility.

And Bobby, you get too fucking serious and the world will become an ugly place.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Fenrisco » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:33 pm

RYP wrote:Kurt does his best from his solitary cel in an undisclosed SuperMax facility.

Plankalkül is lovely this time of year; land of the midnight sun and all that. And just a boat ride away from the enchanting Islets of Langerhans.
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:53 pm

I heard he was was without emotion when they sentenced him for running the Flag, but when they added "dial up only" as a condition of his sentence he broke down and sobbed.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby dicey » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:04 pm

One of the more interesting threads to come along in awhile. Joined after Penta got booted and it definitely feels as if I've missed out.

Re: India. A headlamp is far more useful than a flashlight. If you don't already know, TP is overrated. So is alcohol hand sanitizer. Traveling by train? Don't take anything less than 2-tier AC (on an overnight trip; AC chair during the day) unless you enjoy the crowds. Bring ear plugs with the highest dampening you can find (perhaps in a hunting section or hardware store). Buy your Rx here. Don't sweat malaria unless you're going to be in an area known for it (it's obvious but most people don't do their homework on this one). Going some place like Nagaland, Bihar, Kashmir, Bodoland, etc., or have other more specific questions, feel free to ask.
dicey

Postby Fenrisco » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:08 pm

RYP wrote:but when they added "dial up only" as a condition of his sentence he broke down and sobbed.

Inconceivable!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D58LpHBnvsI[/youtube]
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bobby Sands » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:30 pm

RYP wrote:I have never met her or the most of the people she went after but I don't invite people here to be harassed, threatened or life in fear. I have no problem with insults, arguments and florid cuss outs.

Penta threatened to kill people? All this time I thought threatening death was Jefe's bailiwick.

I don't know the ins and outs of what happened other than tales of expensive wine being consumed. From the tidbits I heard, It sounded more like a cheesy sex comedy like "10" or "Blame it on Rio" where the main characters get into sticky sexual situations where fidelities get questioned and feelings get hurt....

http://www.boozemovies.com/2008/06/10-1979.html

Having written and directed three Pink Panther movies in a row, Blake Edwards longed to produce a film that was more sophisticated, hip, and adult. The resulting picture, 10, proved not only to be a box office smash; it also introduced the world to Bo Derek (a dubious distinction) and cemented the stardom of Dudley Moore (sans comedy partner Peter Cook).

Moore stars as George Webber, a songwriter who feels “betrayed” by age and dissatisfied with life, despite wealth, success, supportive friends, and a long-time relationship with a theater star (Julie Andrews). While stopped at a traffic light, George happens to catch a fleeting glimpse of a beautiful bride (Bo Derek) in another car, and his general malaise blossoms into a full-on midlife crisis. He becomes obsessed with the girl, but being that 10 is a comedy, George’s attempts at stalking generally degenerate into drunken slapstick. Eventually, bolstered by pain pills and liquid courage, George decides to travel to Mexico to interrupt the girl’s honeymoon

Anyway, it's your board, RYP, so if you clipped Penta, then you clipped her.

RYP wrote:And Bobby, you get too fucking serious and the world will become an ugly place.

and I'm DJ, bro.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkn-HkvphBg[/youtube]
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:33 pm

RYP wrote:Saying that, I will note that we have been a little short of village idiots lately.

Sorry boss but I'v been doin shit n stuff. Ya know what I mean?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Bronco » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:41 pm

Kurt wrote:You do realize she was banned for reasons other than her politics right?
Remember that the main reason she was banned was because she revealed personal information about people here that got deleted ...or in some cases not deleted when it happened in chat. It is not the kind of offenses that people just bring up and say "then she said __________ about my ___________" because that would bring it all up again.
So lets at least be clear as to why she was banned. It was not politics. I am sorry I cannot go into more details about the specifics because I am not at liberty to bring up a topic that people did not want brought up for a reason (hence the ban).

[rant] Ok, sorry. I was out of circulation back then and missed a lot of things including the stuff that happened on a personal level. I've heard bits and pieces of what went on and my impression is different from some of the other people on this board. I did hear about some of the stuff that supposedly happened and it appears to me that there is more than one version of the truth.
My own experiences with Penta have all been friendly and she was very supportive when I was in a bind. I have just been trying to reciprocate.

Those who operate the BFC should appreciate it when someone tries as hard as you say Penta has to be part of this place.

I realize Kurt, that you are in a tough spot and you've done well handling it for the most part. I do not hold you personally responsible for this mess, so I hope you don't feel that I'm attacking you. [/rant]
"I used to care, but things have changed"
Bob Dylan
Bronco
Old Man On The Mountain

Postby Sri Lanky » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:02 am

Svizz: Somalia? When? I need someone to hold my hand.
Sri Lanky

Postby coldharvest » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:32 am

My own experiences with Penta have all been friendly and she was very supportive when I was in a bind. I have just been trying to reciprocate.

I have never doubted your goodwill.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe