What is Evil?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

What is Evil?

Postby Lethal Dose » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:06 pm

I have a philosophical question for y'all...
What defines "Evil" in your personal dictionary?
Why? Cuz I said so, that's why!
Lethal Dose

Re: What is Evil?

Postby flipflop » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:57 pm

Live backwards

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby coldharvest » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:54 pm

evil is what we decide it is
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Lethal Dose » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:55 pm

coldharvest wrote:evil is what we decide it is

And by "we" are you referring to individuals or society?
Lethal Dose

Postby nowonmai » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:00 am

Lethal Dose wrote:I have a philosophical question for y'all...
What defines "Evil" in your personal dictionary?

-Rickshaw's underwear after day in the saddle and a night on the Guinness

ps. your question is gay and retarded, unless you're a teenager in which case it is par for the course
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lethal Dose » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:32 am

Not sure why you think it's a ""gay" question. Just wondering how different folks think of the concept of evil. Some folks think it's just a state of mind, others figure there's a spiritual component, while others still think there's no such thing. Where do you stand?
Lethal Dose

Postby coldharvest » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:51 am

Lethal Dose wrote:
coldharvest wrote:evil is what we decide it is

And by "we" are you referring to individuals or society?

yes
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Lethal Dose » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:40 am

Social morality is defined by law. What is legal is what is deemed socially acceptable. Is your personal morality defined by law also, or by religious doctrine, or by intuition, by mood, or by some other criteria? I find that your kind have a predictable group mentality that bounces between the bandwagon effect and an incessant drive to be contrary. How this relates to individual morality or ethical code is a sociological point of interest.
Lethal Dose

Postby Woodsman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:23 pm

Lethal Dose wrote:Social morality is defined by law.

Wrong.

Lethal Dose wrote:What is legal is what is deemed socially acceptable.

That depends on what one calls "acceptable". I suppose it is "acceptable" to give up your wallet when you are outnumbered by armed assassins all aiming their weapons at you demanding your wallet. That is a useful comparison to "legality" as a matter of certain interests creating law to support their interests over what is preferable to the public good.

Lethal Dose wrote:Is your personal morality defined by law also, or by religious doctrine, or by intuition, by mood, or by some other criteria?

Its simply defined by what is right. That has its basis in logic & cognition and it is limited by ignorance, which is a shared attribute of all humans.

Lethal Dose wrote: I find that your kind have a predictable group mentality that bounces between the bandwagon effect and an incessant drive to be contrary. How this relates to individual morality or ethical code is a sociological point of interest.

"your kind"? Please, seek professional psychiatric help.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:53 pm

Just walk away John, he's not worth it, just walk away

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Lethal Dose » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:37 pm

Woodsman wrote:
Lethal Dose wrote:Social morality is defined by law.

Wrong.

So what is illegal may be considered moral then. That is if it adheres to your concept of what is logical.

Lethal Dose wrote:What is legal is what is deemed socially acceptable.

"Woodsman wrote:That depends on what one calls "acceptable". I suppose it is "acceptable" to give up your wallet when you are outnumbered by armed assassins all aiming their weapons at you demanding your wallet. That is a useful comparison to "legality" as a matter of certain interests creating law to support their interests over what is preferable to the public good.

The example you give is a no-brainer, but sometimes things aren't so straight forward.

Lethal Dose wrote:Is your personal morality defined by law also, or by religious doctrine, or by intuition, by mood, or by some other criteria?

Woodsman wrote:Its simply defined by what is right. That has its basis in logic & cognition and it is limited by ignorance, which is a shared attribute of all humans.

Yes, apparently some much more than others. Fortunately, I don't count myself among "all humans" (or any for that matter). So what does your "Logic and cognition" say about such hot-button issues as abortion and gay marriage? My post on "Abortion and World Hunger" suggests an extremely logical way to deal with both. The solution therefore, by your reasoning, may be considered moral.

Lethal Dose wrote: I find that your kind have a predictable group mentality that bounces between the bandwagon effect and an incessant drive to be contrary. How this relates to individual morality or ethical code is a sociological point of interest.

Woodsman wrote:"your kind"? Please, seek professional psychiatric help.

Why you people should be offended by such terms as "Your kind" where it is applicable is just another one of your idiosyncrasies. It simply means, "Those who are not like me" which is something I'd think you'd be in agreement with, albeit for different reasons.

Morality, like the laws that it spawns, is priority driven. There are those naive enough to believe that these very "human" priorities have something to do with the collective good of the species. (I can't help but laugh every time I think about those morons). There were times in the past where it was considered ones moral prerogative and in fact their spiritual duty to smite those who did not believe in the same religious doctrine that they had customized to justify their petty bloodlust. To do otherwise was the epitome of immoral. The movement allowed countless people to kill and torture others of their species, which satisfied the true nature shared by "all humans", and was therefore also logical. At least for them it was. Perhaps not so much for their victims, but they didn't matter because the majority chose them not to matter, and in a true democracy, majority rules. Gawd bless Democracy!
Lethal Dose

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:10 am

"your kind"? Please, seek professional psychiatric help.

We have been tellin him this for well over 10 years!
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Lethal Dose » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:05 pm

Lethal Dose

Postby Sri Lanky » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:13 pm

Evil destroys itself you brain dead fucking moron.
Sri Lanky

Postby gnaruki » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:56 am

Sri Lanky wrote:Evil destroys itself you brain dead fucking moron.

His newly created caricature has become boring in less than twenty posts.

Even Graves did cartoony evil better.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK6P8zMO8mQ[/youtube]
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe