Jamaica?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby Sri Lanky » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:35 pm

Can't remember any names but the dancers came in all colours,shapes,and sizes....they had a propensity to make love to the floor.
Sri Lanky

Postby AK74 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:42 pm

From what I know the 2 hippest places in the capital are located just a few meters apart in new Kingston.

One is Quad and the other Asylum--Knutsford Blvd. is where they are both located and the major hotels (Hilton, Pegasus) as well as the American embassy are just a couple of blocks away as well.

Walking between the 2 clubs is safe, but after nightfall don't even think about walking a long distance to or from the clubs (even from the aforementioned hotels).

There also 2 weekly block parties that are Kingston traditions. One is in Raetown on Sunday nights, and the other is called Passa Passa and held each Wednesday night in the Tivoli Gardens section of town. Both areas are ghetto and should be avoided at other times, but apparently there is a tacit rule among the gangs that tourists dropping on the musical festivities are off limits.
AK74
BFCus Regularus

Postby zedminster » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:12 pm

wow, I just got back in time for the fireworks last night.
That was amazing- the Bob Marley tour got kind of boring,(too many white people, ya know? same with the nightclubs.) so I bought an old triumph motorcycle for $45 and made a full circle around the island before it broke and I had to leave it. the weed was way too cheap, when I tried to buy a joint for $5, rastamon gave me an ounce, which I gave the better half of to some streetkids who took me to an kick-ass ska concert.
the only people that tried to rob me were the cops, and that wasn't too bad, considering they just took a twenty out of my wallet and gave me back the rest.
Brought home some rum, but customs wouldn't let me bring my carton of cheap cigs. and the frat boy that sat next to me on the return flight is going away for a while, dumbass had a coffee can full of pot in his carry on.
oh yeah, and try the salt-fish.
If you are dead weight, please wear a handle.
zedminster
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:43 pm

Ackee and saltfish is the Jamaican's national food.

...but it should be ganja soaked in overproof rum.
Sri Lanky

Postby soulohio » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:00 pm

everytime i go on an international flight i run into some "frat boy" who wants to talk drugs....man, these " types" are getting really wierd.....i mean, i half expect them to try and follow me into the bathroom...
where are you going? why don't you walk the wheel with us? what is the matter my american friend? what has upset you?
soulohio
BFCus Regularus

Postby WillyBlues » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:29 pm

Zed, sounds like you had a great trip.
"All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something that isn't even visible."
WillyBlues
BFCus Regularus

Postby great_agustin » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:14 am

now now people... what are your favorite places to travel to? :)
i work as a maid on a big ol' cruise ship ;p

Princess Cruises Tahiti
great_agustin

Postby captain_stu » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:06 pm

I want to go to Honduras or some other South American place to help out.
stu
captain_stu
BFCus Regularus

Postby wreck99 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:42 pm

I just got back from Jamaica myself.

My girlfriend went down and spent the first two weeks of July there. We spent the first three days in Negril doing the resort thing .. and afterwards we traveled down to Treasure Beach.

Negril was pretty but it was nothing more than one big tourist trap as far as I could tell. The south western side of the island was much more laid back.

I met several people that had built houses there ... and was interested in the process it took to get them completed. You drive around the country side and it's littered with concrete block houses that are in some degree of construction ... despite the fact that many look as if they've been bombed out twenty years ago.

One of our cab drivers told us he was hoping that the government would let the 'batty boys' march in Kingston ... so that all the gays could be singled out and shot. I thought that was pretty hysterical.

Met an interesting fellow who was there from the states studying the destruction of the Coral. He'd been there for about a month and a half so he had some good tips for us.

And yeah .. the salt fish was awesome.
any way ... I could post some pics if anyones interested.
Welcome to it ............
wreck99

Postby Kurt » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:49 pm

Oh yah, Jamaican's tend to really dislike homosexuals. One of my truck driving partners was Jamaican and he would never even go into a place that had "the rainbow flag" over it. I told him they were not gay establishments but that gays or anyone was welcome there, but he did not want to risk a homosexual handling his coffee.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Sri Lanky » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:46 pm

It's a primitive society so cruelties towards what is percieved to be unconventional is common.

People with mental illness are also cruelly targeted. They tend to get raped and eye-gouged.
Sri Lanky

Re: Jamaica?

Postby HerkyMerc » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:26 am

zedminster wrote:going to Jamaica next month, my resort/tour is being paid for, all I'm paying for is airfare.anyways, I got a Bob Marley tour thing going on, any advice?

... stay on the beach, or within a mile of it... and yer gonna have a hell-of-a-time.
"what man calls civilization always results in deserts",
... the lives and times of archy and mehitabel... (1916) Don Marquis.
HerkyMerc

Postby AK74 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:41 pm

All y'all over the age of 30 should remember how Shabba Ranks wrecked his career through a public display of homphobia.
AK74
BFCus Regularus

Postby media » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:07 pm

Send Lawyers Guns and Money...
media
BFCus Regularus

Postby QzarBaron » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:40 pm

Don't buy drugs from people on the streets.... I had a friend who got caught up in a very shady deal and ended up with nothing but a pair of boxers and his cell phone (apparently they didn't need that).
QzarBaron
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe