Free language courses

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby vagabond » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:15 pm

Oh, and the Barry Farber book is excellent. Highly recommend that. His key is mnemonics plus some other techniques and he writes in a very enjoyable and helpful style.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Subfighter63 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:58 pm

redharen wrote:I've studied several "esoteric" languages, all in a university setting, and I think that's the best way to go, if there's a good college within daily driving distance. If you're interested in Central Asia, it'll be hard to get lessons in, say, Dari or Pashto, but Farsi would probably be a good option because it's related, versatile, and shares the same script.

If you decide on Arabic or Farsi, you might find someone at a mosque (if there's one nearby) who can help you. Ironically, my first Hebrew lessons were from an expat Iranian (Baha'i) who I met in my Arabic class. He teaches Russian now. And that was in Oklahoma. So you never know where you'll find people who can help. Just put the word out.

If a non-muslim goes to a mosque to learn Arabic, they will brush you off.
What I did was go to a mosque and pretend that I wanted to convert to Islam. I took the Shahada, which is an oath you take when you become a muslim. For 14 months I studied Arabic at that and several other mosques in the area AND I also learned about Islam from an insider's perspective. I learned how to do muslim prayers, I read the Qur'an from cover to cover twice and now, I could pass myself off as a muslim anywhere in the world. I speak Arabic quite well now also. I'm already 100% fluent in Spanish and Russian, having been an interpreter in the US Navy back in the 1980's.
Subfighter63

Re: Free language courses

Postby suwon fish » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:31 am

A fantastic source for free language courses is the Defense Language Institute. Language, culture and local sit-rep. All kinds of shit for any country where the US is fighting, faught or is going to fight in. So, almost eveywhere ^^

http://fieldsupport.dliflc.edu/index.aspx

I am currently working throught the Korean Headstart 2 for the Ipod. Kicks ass...
A day should not be praised until the Sun has set, a woman until she is burned, a sword until it's tested, ice until it's crossed or beer until it's drunk - Viking proverb
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:03 pm

suwon fish wrote:A fantastic source for free language courses is the Defense Language Institute. Language, culture and local sit-rep. All kinds of shit for any country where the US is fighting, faught or is going to fight in. So, almost eveywhere ^^

I am currently working throught the Korean Headstart 2 for the Ipod. Kicks ass...

That's some cool shit 'fish, cheers.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Kurt » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:13 pm

suwon fish wrote:A fantastic source for free language courses is the Defense Language Institute. Language, culture and local sit-rep. All kinds of shit for any country where the US is fighting, faught or is going to fight in. So, almost eveywhere ^^

Welcome to the board. I had to check you out before you posted because your IP said SPAMMER but you are indeed legit and I hope you continue to post here.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby vagabond » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:14 am

Thanks for the link and welcome to the board.

Might've posted this before but here's a place with links to free language podcasts:

http://www.openculture.com/freelanguagelessons

---

I've been messing around with a few different methods lately which are only free if they are illegally downloaded (or you work for the gumint or get them from a library).

Thoughts:

Rosetta Stone - makes the 30 min go by quick and is entertaining but doesn't really feel like it covers a lot in that 30.
Pimsleur - also does in 30 min. increments - felt I had a good grasp of things throughout and after; been listening to it at work too and can still keep up so far while doing other tasks.

---

Would also recommend Anki, a spaced repetition program, which you can use for memorization of anything. Link: http://ichi2.net/anki/index.html. Lot of cards already made up for Japanese and Chinese that you can download but easy enough to make your own if have some materials you're studying.

V
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby suwon fish » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks for the welcome gents!

I've enjoyed this site and used it as a resource for years. So long in fact that Sharkeys in PP was still listed as one of the most dangerous bars in the world when I first checked the site ^^

Just so you know, I've been in and around Asia Pacific and SE Asia for 8 some years so I hope I can add something useful to the forum from time to time.
A day should not be praised until the Sun has set, a woman until she is burned, a sword until it's tested, ice until it's crossed or beer until it's drunk - Viking proverb
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:29 pm

vagabond wrote:Seems Foreign Service Institute courses are available for free at this site:

http://fsilanguagecourses.com/

Guess all of this would make you a cunning linguist.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby lmetrucking » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:43 pm

BYKI (it stands for "before you know it") is free and fairly effective. I used it (and still do) for Arabic so that I could learn to string together all the curse words that I learned more fluently. I get to speak all the Arabic I want with the Iraqis that work for me here so that helps more than the half assed studying that I do.
At least that Cleric is not obsessed with cocks and things that might be thought of as cocks by a cock obsessed person.- Kurt
lmetrucking
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:48 pm

Rosetta Stone is better in my opinion - but I don't really have a nack for languages, takes me years to learn new ones

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby lmetrucking » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:10 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:Rosetta Stone is better in my opinion - but I don't really have a nack for languages, takes me years to learn new ones

~JITW

Jesus fucking christ would you pay attention, the title to the thread is FREE language courses.
At least that Cleric is not obsessed with cocks and things that might be thought of as cocks by a cock obsessed person.- Kurt
lmetrucking
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:42 pm

i got yer free shit right here:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4661371 ... DEIFIED%5D

dont know bout legal tho

edit: 2 secs of additional research found better one
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:49 pm

lmetrucking wrote:
JamesInTheWorld wrote:Rosetta Stone is better in my opinion - but I don't really have a nack for languages, takes me years to learn new ones

~JITW

Jesus fucking christ would you pay attention, the title to the thread is FREE language courses.

I have never paid for any of the 20 or so Rosetta Stone courses I own you fucking retard

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby lmetrucking » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:00 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:
lmetrucking wrote:

~JITW

I have never paid for any of the 20 or so Rosetta Stone courses I own you fucking retard

~JITW

So,not only can you not take some kidding but you own "20 or so Rosetta stone courses" and have failed to learn a language...
and I'm the fucking retard?
lmetrucking
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Fight!
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe