Your current reading list

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Your current reading list

Postby snaark » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:35 am

Sledgehammer of a book, both in content and physical dimensions. Its going to take me a while to get through it.

This one I've almost finished. Worth reading for anyone interested in the financial markets.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:49 pm

Recently read three I thought you all might like.

World War Z - nothing like the movie, at all, except for zombies. Just cheesy speculative fiction, but better than average and it reminded my of the BFC for some reason.

1493 - A must for Latin Americanists. A really great rundown (some of it speculative, but supported by lots of data and period literature) of what really happened in the Americas in the 1500s and 1600s, and how it affected the Old World. For instance, pre-Columbian European financial and political centers tended to be in warmer areas, for the simple reason that you could grow enough food to support cities. In the north, you really couldn't. Until the introduction of the potato. The England and Russia etc happened. And now you know the rest of the story.... Anyway, also a big focus on China, unsurprising considering Charles Mann also wrote 1491. Really top notch pop historical survey.

Dirty Entanglements: Corruption, Crime, and Terrorism
by Louise I. Shelley http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/110768 ... PDKIKX0DER

This is why I even bothered posting here. All of you all working in counterterrorism, narcotrafficking, all that stuff should check this out. It's academic as fuck and was hard for me to read, but it's an amazing, and scary overview of various terrorist/criminal networks operating in states being incrementally weakened by globalization. Check it out, it's amazing and I wish I had some use for all my new knowledge. A lot of you folks still lurking around here probably do, it's not even that long.
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby nowonmai » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:49 pm

friendlyskies wrote:Image

I thought this was about Rickshaw's bathroom habits.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:18 pm

I was just thinking, "the BFC would really like this book," and then about halfway through there was a shout-out to RYP and the Somalia Report. So here it is.

The author books passage on different container and security ships, a strange voyage that ties together the tale of her research on container shipping. Which is fascinating, especially since she's a really good writer, straightforward with a story arc rather than overly academic. She HATES pirates with a white hot passion, too. Anyway, here's her TED Talk if you're interested, but prefer the 11min Cliffs Notes version:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7RsRnYlz7I[/youtube]

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Devlin » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:08 am

Lights Out by Ted Koppel

Satchmo, Louis Armstrong
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby michelle in alaska » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:15 pm

Lights out is a SCARY book!
Am reading No Place to Hide :Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the US Surveillance State by Glenn Greenwald..

...also: Meatless: more than 200 of the very best vegetarian recipes from Martha Srewart.

if you have time to kill:
Empire of Sin : a story of sex, jazz, murder, and the battle for modern NewOrleans by Gary Krist.
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:04 pm

michelle in alaska wrote:if you have time to kill

always
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Darcy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:06 pm

The Wet and the Dry: A Drinker's Journey - Lawrence Osbourne

Great read!

Just finished It's What I Do: A Photographer's Life of Love and War
by Lynsey Addario. Brave lady.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby michelle in alaska » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:58 am

No pretty pictures.
Just books.
gahh. Books Books. Books.
PERSONAL EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS Andrew Blaze
MEDICINAL PLANTS AT HOME Maria Transito
THE POISONER'S HANDBOOK Deborah Blum
....and i don't know why, but this man still intrigues me.... HOWARD HUGHES the secret life. Charles Higham

...but the two I'm actually reading:
CITY OF THORNS Ben Rawlence
THE HARDER THEY COME T.C. Boyle.

Happy Easter to those that care and those that don't.

xxoo
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby michelle in alaska » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:57 am

Two new books. Just titles.

Consequence. A Memoir
by Eric Fair

Left of Boom: How a young CIA case officer penetrated the Taliban and Al-Qaeda.
by Douglas Laux and Ralph Pezzullo.
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:30 pm

This book is a must-read if you enjoy US history, and a great companion to the current US Presidential primaries.

Woodard's thesis - approached almost anthropologically - is that the USA, and North America as a whole, is made up of nations within and astride the official political states. These 11 culturally distinct nations have grappled with each other for generations, and their tensions explain the course of US history.

These 11 nations include "Yankeedom" (New England), "New Netherlands" (New York City and its urbane satellites), "Midlands" (the Midwest, sort of, but also parts of Canada; it involves German and Scandinavian settlement), and the "Left Coast" (Coastal NorCal, Oregon, and Washington State). These states more or less want peaceful communities, tolerance, and social security, and have a long-term, ever-shifting series of alliances, with Yankeedom the most important and influential partner.

The rival bloc is usually made up of the "Deep South" (most of the US Southeast), "Greater Appalachia" (a much bigger swath than you'd assume, from the Appalachians down to Texas; he talks about our Scots-Irish heritage a lot, and references the movie Braveheart, twice), "Tidewater" (Coastal Virginia and the Chesapeake Bay, where most of the Founding Fathers were from and once immensely important, but now just a subservient satellite of the Deep South), and the "Far West" (the Wild West, basically anywhere humans couldn't really live without irrigation projects and large-scale shipping). There are other nations, too: "New France" (Quebec and Southern Louisiana), "First Nations" (Inuit-controlled Canada) and "El Norte" (Aztlán), but Woodard treats those as afterthoughts.

For Woodard, it's all about Yankeedom vs. the Deep South, a pitched battle for control over the US political systems and cultural mores. It's an amazing analysis. I don't agree with all of it, and I was pretty offended by some of his characterizations of Appalachians and Deep South. Dude has a bias. But it was a great read and made sense on soooooo many levels. It's worth it just for his contextualization of the Woodrow Wilson presidency.

friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby nowonmai » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:48 pm

Re-reading Borstal Boy by Brendan Behan. This and Homage to Catalonia were my young teenage self's favourite books. (In between Sven Hassel and James Herbert).

Could do with Eric Blair around now. Plenty of targets.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:49 am

nowonmai wrote:Re-reading Borstal Boy by Brendan Behan. This and Homage to Catalonia were my young teenage self's favourite books. (In between Sven Hassel and James Herbert).

Which is pretty much why a guy like me was banging the girl you had a crush on.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:03 pm

michelle in alaska wrote:Two new books. Just titles.

Consequence. A Memoir
by Eric Fair

Left of Boom: How a young CIA case officer penetrated the Taliban and Al-Qaeda.
by Douglas Laux and Ralph Pezzullo.

Laux's book is just bad. I agree with everyone who gave it a 1 star rating on Amazon. Pezzullo should have known better than to associate with this loser.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:31 pm

Dang dude...brutal read.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe