Your current reading list

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Your current reading list

Postby ktrout » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:37 am

coldharvest wrote:
ktrout wrote:The Horse, the Wheel, and Language: How Bronze-Age Riders from the Eurasian Steppes Shaped the Modern World.
Just started. It's a topic I've been interested in for some time.

I think I'll get that
what do you think so far?

I've really just gotten into the first chapter. Fascinating so far. It's on O'Reilly Safari if you want to do a trial.
Actually into chapter two. He's making a point that linguists and archaeologists don't know how to talk to each other because they aren't taught anything about each other's disciplines. Archaeology would seem to be pretty core to linguists and vice versa to me.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:48 am

I just happened upon The Grand Inquisitor, an excerpt from The Brothers Karamazov. Trying to make heads or tails of it:
https://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/pol116/grand.htm
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby michelle in alaska » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:58 am

Soldier's Heart by Elizabeth Samet.

She's an English teacher at West Point. Maybe a prof. apologies for not checking.
It's always very telling what soldiers are reading. Always.
this book breaks my heart.
Couldn't finish it.

i enveigled an older retired gentleman who is a weapons trainer on base, who deals with young soldiers all the time, to read it.
I'll get his review in a week and pass it on.

break my heart.
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:49 pm

michelle in alaska wrote:It's always very telling what soldiers are reading. Always.

It's usually this

or this

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:33 am

I'm Your Man, The Life of Leonard Cohen by Sylvie Simmons

I really want to read that new book out by Lawrence Wright, the book he wrote about Scientology. I'd love to read a good American novel but well-written & evocative fiction is so rare these days. It seems to be that reading non-fiction is the way to go.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:05 am

seektravelinfo wrote:I'm Your Man, The Life of Leonard Cohen by Sylvie Simmons

I really want to read that new book out by Lawrence Wright, the book he wrote about Scientology. I'd love to read a good American novel but well-written & evocative fiction is so rare these days. It seems to be that reading non-fiction is the way to go.

I think so. James Ellroy's Blood's a Rover did not live up to what I expected from American fiction.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby roach coach » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:16 am

I've been reading and re-reading the Small Unit Leadership book and it's been quite useful from student groups to Type 2 wildland fire crews. Right now I'm doing some research on Libya and the Arab Spring so these two are on my priority list, as well as Vandewalle's History of Modern Libya. If any of you have any other good books or literature about Libya/Arab Spring/Benghazi, give me a holler.

..................__
............/´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........./'/.../..../......./¨¯\
.......('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
........\.................'...../
.........'\............. _.·´
...........\..............(
............\..............\
BROFIST
roach coach
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:17 pm

Kurt wrote:
seektravelinfo wrote:I'm Your Man, The Life of Leonard Cohen by Sylvie Simmons

I think so. James Ellroy's Blood's a Rover did not live up to what I expected from American fiction.

So, I stand by my assertion that American fiction has slid way downhill. I read Junot Diaz book recently, thought his writing style was innovative and good but the content of the story was miserable with no redeeming qualities and nothing to take away from. There just have been no treasures for at least a couple of decades, no instant classics like True Grit (Charles Portis), Bonfire of the Vanities (Tom Wolfe) or something decliously strange and offbeat like you'd find in a Flannery O'Connor or Carson McCullers novel.

I suppose I will revisit my bookshelf for all my Fitzgerald, Steinbeck and Faulkner. It's been long enough that I've read them that perhaps they'll seem fresh again. In any event, modern American fiction sucks ass.

from salon.com:

FRIDAY, MAR 29, 2013 11:36 AM EDT
“Most contemporary literary fiction is terrible”
An acclaimed writer wants his students to read more new fiction. They shouldn't. Most of it is really bad
BY J. ROBERT LENNON

In a recent piece on the Review Review, Dan Chaon writes about the need for young writers of literary fiction to emulate their counterparts in music, and develop an obsessive interest in the products of the culture they hope to join. He bemoans his students’ unfamiliarity with the litmags they hope to be published in, and encourages them to explore the literary world. He recommends the annual best-of short-fiction anthologies, and name-checks a few good magazines. “Young writers,” he says in conclusion, “if you want to be rock stars, you have to read.”

On the face of it, this thesis seems impossible to refute. But I’m going to try.

It does go without saying that fiction writers ought to be reading, and most of us do, naturally. But I feel as though the particular course of action that Chaon is suggesting — immersing oneself in the world of contemporary literary fiction — is, potentially, a recipe for hackneyed, insular, boring writing.

Chaon’s argument is perhaps stronger when applied to the world of poetry, which is smaller than that of fiction, and more dependent upon a robust dialogue with itself. The world of poetry is also less risk-averse than that of fiction; poets are more naturally experimental, less embarrassed about strong and unpleasant emotion. Poets aren’t bothered by the same career anxieties fiction writers are — they don’t presume there is any money to be made doing what they do. And poetry is less concerned — not unconcerned, certainly, but less concerned — than fiction with the common idioms of storytelling. Poets are constantly reinventing language. A poet ignores new writing at his or her peril.

But I don’t think Chaon’s advice is necessarily beneficial to literary fiction writers. For one thing, most contemporary literary fiction is terrible: mannered, conservative and obvious. Most of the stories in the annual best-of anthologies are mediocre, as are the stories that populate most magazines. It’s inevitable that this should be so; fiction writing is ludicrously popular, too many people are doing it, and most of them are bound to be bad at it. MFA programs, while of great benefit to talented writers, have had the effect of rendering a lot of lousy writers borderline-competent, and many of these competent writers get stories and books published. (This is not an anti-MFA rant: I loved the program I studied in, and love the one I teach in, and enjoy helping students do their best, even when it doesn’t end up being very good.)

As a result, the dialogue literary fiction writers are having with themselves is, by and large, uninteresting. It isn’t that there aren’t smart people writing and conversing, it’s just that the lit-fic world is so enormous that the noise tends to overwhelm the signal.

Chaon takes his students to task for their shallow knowledge of contemporary fiction: “When I ask them what they’ve read recently, they frequently only manage to cough up the most obvious, high-profile examples.” But maybe that isn’t such a bad thing. There is more superb fiction already extant in the world than any of us will be able to read in our lifetimes. Why develop an encyclopedic knowledge of the present cultural moment when so much of it, inevitably, is crap?

In my view, a good writer can learn something from whatever he or she reads. And so I certainly don’t begrudge a student reading any piece of contemporary fiction. In fact, I assign the annual best-of anthologies as textbooks in my workshops, and more often than not our discussions of the assigned readings — initiated by students, not by me — center on what makes the stories so goddam awful. This is useful and good.

But a fiction writer ought to engage with other parts of the culture, too. This includes reading outside one’s genre — I happen to favor sci-fi and mystery, but I think it’s fine for literary writers to read YA, romance, fantasy or whatever they please. Literary writers are in the privileged position of being permitted to raid any genre for tools to subvert and repurpose. We ought to be reading poetry, too, of course, and nonfiction. We should read instruction manuals, legal documents, restaurant reviews and corporate newsletters. We should follow weird people on Twitter and go to lots of parties and have lots of intense and ridiculous conversations with drunk people. We should go home for the holidays and argue with our families, and we ought to listen to lots of music and we ought to watch plenty of television, because television is, at the moment, the most artistically important narrative medium. We should eavesdrop, and we should gossip. We should probably be in therapy. We should probably drink more coffee.

Let’s face it: Literary fiction is fucking boring. It really is. It’s a genre as replete with clichés as any. And when you’re as deeply immersed in it as many of us are, it’s all too easy to stop noticing the clichés. They no longer stand out. They’re just What People Do. And so, we do them. If a writer of literary fiction wants to be great, she needs to poke her head up out of the echo chamber every now and then and absorb the genuine peculiarity of human striving. And that means reading stuff that is not literary fiction, and, sometimes, not reading at all.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby michelle in alaska » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:14 am

nowonmai wrote:
michelle in alaska wrote:It's always very telling what soldiers are reading. Always.

It's usually this

or this

i talk to two or three hundred soldiers a day. in a library. i know how they're rolling: half of them are trying to stay alive and half of them are trying to get laid. or maybe both at the same time.

and seeks: 10-4 regarding bad fiction.
and THANK YOU for the Leonard Cohen recommendation.

Happy Holy Saturday, all.
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby michelle in alaska » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:01 am

...saw the movie first: Lawless...
...but the book is even better. it's about the second oldest profession in the world. ;)
the author is a grandson of one of the brothers portrayed in the movie.
"The Wettest County in the World". It's a really good well-written story. I enjoyed it. In spite of being a northerner and all. :)
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:30 am

dispatches by michael herr. have read this several times and i always wonder what the hoopla is. he writes like he's the hippest dude that ever walked. his main theme was to write in the coolest style he could think of. you read the book & don't have any idea what the hell he said.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:29 pm

AztecDave wrote:he writes like he's the hippest dude that ever walked.
I figured that's how all people talked in the 1960s.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby JITW » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Just picked up "death on the dark continent"

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby strapped » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:02 pm

I read an old paper copy of "Vagabonding down the Andes; being the narrative of a journey, chiefly afoot, from Panama to Buenos Aires" by Harry A Franck a few years ago. It was published in 1917. I really enjoyed it.

He had led a life that would probably appeal to a lot of the BFCers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_A._Franck

I going to be starting on "Zone policeman 88; a close range study of the Panama canal and its workers" where he worked as a policeman in the Canal Zone during it construction before he travelled through South America. I thought about him recently and have found that most of his works have been digitalized since I last looked on the web for him. A lot of them are here:

http://archive.org/search.php?query=har ... pe%3Atexts

I know I'll be chewing through them over the next couple of years.
strapped
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Thu May 02, 2013 1:42 am

The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo by Tom Reiss.

Here is the remarkable true story of the real Count of Monte Cristo – a stunning feat of historical sleuthing that brings to life the forgotten hero who inspired such classics as The Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Musketeers.

The real-life protagonist of The Black Count, General Alex Dumas, is a man almost unknown today yet with a story that is strikingly familiar, because his son, the novelist Alexandre Dumas, used it to create some of the best loved heroes of literature.

Yet, hidden behind these swashbuckling adventures was an even more incredible secret: the real hero was the son of a black slave -- who rose higher in the white world than any man of his race would before our own time.

Born in Saint-Domingue (now Haiti), Alex Dumas was briefly sold into bondage but made his way to Paris where he was schooled as a sword-fighting member of the French aristocracy. Enlisting as a private, he rose to command armies at the height of the Revolution, in an audacious campaign across Europe and the Middle East – until he met an implacable enemy he could not defeat.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe