Your current reading list

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Your current reading list

Postby coldharvest » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:22 pm

The Archive Effect: Found Footage and the Audiovisual Experience of History by Jaimie Baron
Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War by Karl Marlantes
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Kurt » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:50 am

I want to read James Ellroy's latest novel.

I am a sucker for reading about places and times I am glad I am not living in.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Devlin » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:22 pm

I have taken a big interest in the case that was made against Lt. Charlie Becker of NYPD back in 1912, in which he was sent to the chair for.

I just read, The Execution of Officer Becker, by Cohen.

I am halfway through, Satan's Circus by Mike Dash and after that I have a copy of Against the evidence by Andy Logan, that book was done in the 70's and tries to prove that Becker was framed.

Good stuff if you have a thing for NYC in the early 1900's
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:12 am

Read this in a couple of days. (8 hrs or so) A little dated now, it's been been 7 plus years since it was written. But I really enjoyed it.

The Tecate Journals: Seventy Days on the Rio Grande by Keith Bowden.The Rio Grande is simultaneously one of the most watched and least understood rivers in the world. Some stretches of the Rio pass for endless miles through remote wilderness, boxed in by canyons hundreds of feet high and inhabited by only the hardiest animals and humans. Other stretches go straight through the center of massive urban areas, all but ignored by the thousands of city folks above. It is a national border, a water source, a dangerous rapid with house-sized boulders, a nature refuge, a garbage dump, and a playground, depending on where you are on its 1885-mile course.That's why journalist Keith Bowden decided to become the first person to travel the entire length of the Rio as it forms the border between America and Mexico. This is his fascinating account of the journey by bike, canoe, and raft along one of North America's most overlooked resources. From illegal immigrants and drug runners trying to make it into America to the border patrol working to stop them; from human coyotes -- smugglers who help people navigate their way into the United States-to encounters with real coyotes, mountain lions, and other flora and fauna, Bowden reveals a side of America that few of us ever see. The border between the U.S. and Mexico is, in many ways, a country unto itself, where inhabitants share more in common with fellow riverside dwellers than they do with the rest of their countrymen. With this isolated and colorful micro-world as his backdrop, Bowden not only explores his surroundings, but also tests his inner mettle along some of the most dangerous and remote riparian wilderness in North America.Product Code: 0776Pages: 320ISBN: 978-1-59485-077-6Publisher: Mountaineers BooksPublication date: 8/24/2007

Just finished Pilgrim's Wilderness. Another good read. (work has been slow).

http://www.tomkizzia.com/pilgrims-wilderness.html

When Papa Pilgrim appeared in the Alaska frontier outpost of McCarthy with his wife and fifteen children, his new neighbors had little idea of the trouble they were in for. The Pilgrim Family presented themselves as a shining example of the homespun Christian ideal, with their proud piety and beautiful old-timey musicianship. But their true story ran dark and deep. Within weeks, Papa had bulldozed open a road through the mountains to the new family home at an abandoned copper mine, sparking a tense confrontation with the National Park Service and forcing his ghost town neighbors to take sides in an ever more volatile battle over where a citizen's rights end and the government's power begins.

In Pilgrim's Wilderness, veteran Alaska journalist Tom Kizzia unfolds the remarkable, at times harrowing, story of a charismatic spinner of American myths who was not what he seemed, the townspeople caught in his thrall, and the family he led to the brink of ruin. As Kizzia discovered, Papa Pilgrim was in fact the son of a rich Texas family with ties to Hoover's FBI and strange, oblique connections to the Kennedy assassination and the movie stars of Easy Rider. And as Pilgrim's fight with the government in Alaska grew more intense, the turmoil in his brood made it increasingly difficult to tell whether his sons and daughters were messianic followers or helpless hostages in desperate need of rescue. In this powerful piece of Americana, written with uncommon grace and a zest for adventure, Kizzia uses his unparalleled access to capture the era-defining clash between environmentalists and pioneers ignited by a mesmerizing sociopath who held a town and a family captive.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby michelle in alaska » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:40 am

Pilgrim's Wilderness is a well written book by a local Alaskan.
However...please remember: it's a story about someone else moving here (as many have).
It's only indicative of this place, in that it was 'the end of the road' for them.
....a common goal for miscreants, outsiders, etc. etc.
if 'you're crazy'... you can hide your crazy up here.
but only for awhile.
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:26 pm

Crazy frigging holier than thou Texan. The state is run by them.

I came across the book after seeing the story about the mass murder in Mcarthy on a crime show.
And the other "reality" show about some of the folks that live there. Can't remember the name as their are so many Alaska shows on these days.

Thank's for the reply.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby michelle in alaska » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:12 am

Am currently reading 17 Carnations by Andrew Morton.
Excellent.
Its all that and a bag of chips.
....Prince Albert, Wallis Simpson (doesnt rumour have it she was reportedly a man? I blame Vanity Fair magazine for any past misinformation >:)...
and their alleged involvement w Hitlers Germany.
Draw your conclusions.
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:03 pm

michelle in alaska wrote:doesnt rumour have it she was reportedly a man?
and their alleged involvement w Hitlers Germany.

She was a hermaphrodite
and their involvement with the Nazi's was quite real.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby svizzerams » Sun May 31, 2015 3:36 pm

michelle in alaska wrote:Pilgrim's Wilderness is a well written book by a local Alaskan.
However...please remember: it's a story about someone else moving here (as many have).
It's only indicative of this place, in that it was 'the end of the road' for them.
....a common goal for miscreants, outsiders, etc. etc.
if 'you're crazy'... you can hide your crazy up here.
but only for awhile.

Ain't that the truth - the liminal characters are a higher percentage of the populace in AK. Another book to go on the ever lengthening list. :-)

Currently reading Maurice Herzog's Annapurna. Mountaineering books - my idea of horror genre - but I can't resist them.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby michelle in alaska » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:09 am

....yes,svizz, re 'ain't that the truth'...

am reading FINDING BETHANY by Glen Klinkhart. Image

A story about a local young woman who went missing, by the detective who found her.
Too hard to talk about...it's well written. And i'll be disappointed when i've finished it. There aren't too many books these days i feel that way about.

and..am also in the process of rereading BLACK HEARTS: one platoons descent into madness in iraq's triangle of death by Jim Frederick.
http://jimfrederick.com/Site/Books%20Elements/about_blackheart_info.jpg

..for different reasons, neither book is easier to reconcile than the other.
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:41 pm

MRD Foot is reminding me of what a pleasure it is to read precise writing. Not seen much of that lately. Or thinking for that matter.

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby michelle in alaska » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:05 am

In the midst of several books...
my first foremost and fave:

....yeah...they're in the midst of making the movie.
i guess the story has to get out one way or the other.
not everyone reads, non?

and....this book is written by the same author who wrote the Shootist--Glendon Swarthout
...he and his wife have researched pioneer diaries of american women....this book is a compilation.. it's now a movie and i'm waiting impatiently to see it.
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bouncer » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:53 pm

This is the current read...

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Carpe Cookius
Bouncer
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:02 am

Just getting into to it. I wish I had more time to read these days...
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby michelle in alaska » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:20 am

...and yet another account about the deadly ascent of Everest in '96: After the Wind by Lou Kasischke.
Always interesting hearing another viewpoint of this climb from a different set of eyes.

....and also, [img] http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... iAodLIYFJQ img]
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe