Awful beer.

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Awful beer.

Postby RSnyder » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:01 am

Worst - Star Lager, Nigeria
Runner Up - Skopsko Pivo, FYRO Macedonia
"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home." - James Michener
"Why is it that everyone who hates freedom apparently hates indoor plumbin'?" - Tim Wilson, comedian.
RSnyder

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:22 am

India had the worst beers I've ever seen. The worst was Kalyani Black Label, I think that was the name. I am not joking when I say there was such quality control issues with it that when you got 4 bottles of it, a couple would taste different and be a different color than the other two. Some bottles tasted funny. There would be sediment at the bottom of some. Some of the glass bottles were brown, some were clear, some were green.I've never seen anything like it. I don't know what I was thinking drinking that stuff.

Any port in a storm?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:22 am

India had the worst beers I've ever seen. The worst was Kalyani Black Label, I think that was the name. I am not joking when I say there was such quality control issues with it that when you got 4 bottles of it, a couple would taste different and be a different color than the other two. Some bottles tasted funny. There would be sediment at the bottom of some. Some of the glass bottles were brown, some were clear, some were green.I've never seen anything like it. I don't know what I was thinking drinking that stuff.

Any port in a storm?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby suwon fish » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:07 am

Maybe I was overly disappointed as I fancied a nice dark beer when I ordered this. To my surprise it tasted like arse...

As a counterpoint (and to wash out your mouth) to Black Panther, try Zorok! It tastes refreshingly like piss. In it's defence it is the cheapest beer I have ever drunk.
A day should not be praised until the Sun has set, a woman until she is burned, a sword until it's tested, ice until it's crossed or beer until it's drunk - Viking proverb
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:08 pm

Shiner Bock and Tannerite

breakfast of champions.

suwon, i haven't had black panther, but i've had panther ice. it won the universal worst beer ever award amongst my friends and i after we went on a foolhardy oddessy to discover the worst of the worst.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby LechoZX » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:21 pm

kilroy wrote: panther ice.

Polar (bear) ice from Venezeula is also disgusting.

Blah person
LechoZX
BFCus Regularus

Postby suwon fish » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:37 am

kilroy wrote:suwon, i haven't had black panther, but i've had panther ice. it won the universal worst beer ever award amongst my friends and i after we went on a foolhardy oddessy to discover the worst of the worst.

I can only imagine how awful the ice version would be ^^ Beyond terrible is my guess....

Kilroy, I never did work out where the NB club is. If you give me the skinny I'll check it out and send you a current sitrep.

Also, should you come back, you will find Suwon now has it's own Tinpan alley, saving you having to travel to Hongdae to get laid! Good things come to those who wait.
A day should not be praised until the Sun has set, a woman until she is burned, a sword until it's tested, ice until it's crossed or beer until it's drunk - Viking proverb
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:46 pm

suwon fish wrote:
kilroy wrote:suwon, i haven't had black panther, but i've had panther ice. it won the universal worst beer ever award amongst my friends and i after we went on a foolhardy oddessy to discover the worst of the worst.

I can only imagine how awful the ice version would be ^^ Beyond terrible is my guess....

Kilroy, I never did work out where the NB club is. If you give me the skinny I'll check it out and send you a current sitrep.

Also, should you come back, you will find Suwon now has it's own Tinpan alley, saving you having to travel to Hongdae to get laid! Good things come to those who wait.

don't remember the exact location, only that it's on ingyedong with most of the other clubs in suwon, but if you ask around on that street i'm sure it should be easy to track down. i did talk to a friend recently who said they heard it was closing?! so check it out before that happens if it's true. and let me know, i'll have to go into a 3 day mourning period if they shut that bitch down.
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:23 am

The beer in Ethiopia has been passable but only by African standards, the food here sucks so I gotta get my nutriants from somewhere.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby LechoZX » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:00 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:The beer in Ethiopia has been passable but only by African standards, the food here sucks so I gotta get my nutriants from somewhere.

Where you in Ethiopia? Hipster urban types say Ethiopian food is good. I have never had it.
Blah person
LechoZX
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:44 pm

LechoZX wrote:
rickshaw92 wrote:The beer in Ethiopia has been passable but only by African standards, the food here sucks so I gotta get my nutriants from somewhere.

Where you in Ethiopia? Hipster urban types say Ethiopian food is good. I have never had it.

I like it, but I've never been to Ethiopia and have only had it in restaurants in the U.S. Stiv took me to a great place in Philly where all the patrons were Ethiopian and Eritrean taxi drivers.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:54 am

So far the food has not been as bad as many other sub Saharan places I have been to but bad enough that I think of the big mac combo, large size I am gonna have when I get off the plane at Heathrow. There is a lot of stew and that is good however the stew is served on a big foul tasting pancake type thing called indera. You can have your stew with bread but the locals dont make good bread either. From time to time you can find good western food but that comes at a western price. Unlike other parts of Africa there is not a big Asian population so going out for cheap Indian food aint an option.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby suwon fish » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:52 am

kilroy wrote:don't remember the exact location, only that it's on ingyedong with most of the other clubs in suwon, but if you ask around on that street i'm sure it should be easy to track down. i did talk to a friend recently who said they heard it was closing?! so check it out before that happens if it's true. and let me know, i'll have to go into a 3 day mourning period if they shut that bitch down.

I've grilled all my nightclubbing buddies in Suwon and no-one heard of NB. There are two NB clubs in Seoul, one in Apkujeong and one in Hongdae, but it's not possible to get so drunk that you partied in Seoul and woke up thinking you partied in Suwon. Is it?

I'm pretty sure the NB club you remember is no more :(
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:40 pm

yeah, talked to a buddy about that, he said early last year they moved it by suwon station (shitty location for a nightclub in my opinion) and it started to suck really bad. as far as he knows it's still there by 수원역, but most of the people that worked there moved on to other clubs and he doesn't go there anymore. very sad :( i'll have to find a new haunt now when i go back.
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:24 am

Worst kind of beer? Anything brewed in the US. All of it weak bodied, flavorless, soulless piss. Micro breweries just brew smaller batches of piss swill. With weird or stupid names.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe