The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Skype

Postby vagabond » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:09 pm

i linked to this earlier above, but Rebtel might solve your mobile phone problems: http://www.rebtel.com/en/
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chelly » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 pm

I'll add to that as well: if you're strictly looking for cheap international calls or to have a line somewhere to forward somewhere else there are plenty of VOIP options. Where Skype wins is it has all the usual computer based message chat (free) options plus the ability to call and receive from land lines as well as set up land lines in other locales that reach you on your computer.
Chelly
Besleeve Yourself, Strumpet!

Postby Swordsman » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:46 am

Got 8 skype-in numbers, and i have them all forwarded to whatever local cellphone number i got at that time. The only fee I have to pay is the skype rate for calling to that country that I am in (skype=>my cellphone). This way I always have the same 8 numbers no matter where I am, or what cheap ass cell phone provider i am using.
"We are the last bastion of free Fuck You shithole travel agents... like Orbitz run by the Soup Nazi...like Club Med run by Goebbels...like a discount seat contest on a North Korean SCUD... - RYP
Swordsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:16 pm

I don't know if this is extra info, but anyway. Mr P has skype set up on his computer in the normal way, and we make free calls, with picture, to other people who are on skype, wherever they are. When the lines break down, as they do quite often with some Venezuelan friends who live rather in the sticks, with not v reliable connection, he then rings their landline on skype on his computer, and pays peanuts for the call. (I suppose he's set up an account for that.)

Otherwise we have a VOIP phone, with a Birmingham number, which we carry backwards and forwards with us and plug in as soon as we get to either place, and pay a small monthy fee (£8, I think). So people can always phone us on it, even if they don't know whether we're in England or Spain, and pay local charges (whether they're in England, Spain, France and a few other countries). It helps especially with old people who are still convinced that phoning abroad must cost a fortune and are otherwise reluctant (Mr P's mother, for instance). Plus it's the number we give out for enquiries about renting the house we let as a holiday villa here, so it only costs potential tenants a local call. Works perfectly.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe