ROTHBURY 2009

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: ROTHBURY 2009

Postby Woodsman » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:13 pm

A very cool video/audio clip link reporting on the "fashion" of Rothbury.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:15 pm

A very cool video/audio clip link reporting on the "fashion" of Rothbury.

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/slideshows/20080705rothbury-fashion/
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby harun » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:29 pm

looks cool... kinda like Burning Man... but with better music, more trees and insects, and less full nudity.

i went to Burning Man in 2005 and it was seriously the best week of my life... i've wanted to go back ever since but life keeps getting in the way-- Michigan is more doable than the black rock desert in Nevada.
"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there."

- Jalal ad-Din Rumi 1207-1273
harun
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:34 am

Good stuff Woodsman. Looks like it was a good line up.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:18 am

Looks like fun.

Free Hugs seems to be catching on everywhere.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Stiv » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:24 pm

Wow Primus is back together? Les C is awesome.

Zappa does Zappa? The sons and Ike "Thing Fish" Willis I bet, I've seen the "Project object" incarnation..berry berry good.

The Disco biscuits are local Philly boys and a jam band that always does a big NYE bash here. One of our institutions MD's kid is the bassist.

Thanks for the photos Woody!! I must say a nice line of sounds.

~Stiv
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby Devlin » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:18 am

I would like to see A3 but that was their only U.S. date.
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:37 pm

IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN: July 2nd-5th.

Lineup:

The enviros & other things going on were better than the music for me - the music is awesome.

It was unbelievable last year, and I expect attendance will skyrocket this year. It will be a hell of an experience.

For more information:

http://www.rothburyfestival.com/

I am in no way affiliated with Rothbury, I'm just promoting it because it was a remarkable experience last year and I expect it to be this year as well.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chelly » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:23 pm

jeezus, Toots & the Maytals should at least be ahead of Damian Marley in the list.
Chelly
Besleeve Yourself, Strumpet!

Postby denise » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:36 am

so, woodsy, did you go? my youngest boy did, and thanks to you i had a heads up, and though he wasn't quite so forthcoming about the details he did buy the t-shirt.

if i'd bought the t-shirts back in the day i could probably retire on them by now, but anyway...

he also lost his cell phone, he does that as often as some people lose their tempers, and this lovely young man called me to say that he had found it and that he was looking for it's owner and that was the first time that had ever happened and it took several other efforts but he did return the phone to my son and it probably meant more to him than it did to someone who's dad will just keep buying him endless electronic shit no matter what, but i remember saying "God Bless You" to the finder, and he said the same to me.

that isn't the sort of thing you normally hear from those kind of places but i thought it was kind of nice.
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:53 pm

denise wrote:so, woodsy, did you go? my youngest boy did, and thanks to you i had a heads up, and though he wasn't quite so forthcoming about the details he did buy the t-shirt.

if i'd bought the t-shirts back in the day i could probably retire on them by now, but anyway...

he also lost his cell phone, he does that as often as some people lose their tempers, and this lovely young man called me to say that he had found it and that he was looking for it's owner and that was the first time that had ever happened and it took several other efforts but he did return the phone to my son and it probably meant more to him than it did to someone who's dad will just keep buying him endless electronic shit no matter what, but i remember saying "God Bless You" to the finder, and he said the same to me.

that isn't the sort of thing you normally hear from those kind of places but i thought it was kind of nice.

Yes indeed I did go. It was just a little less mind blowing this year as it was last year...for anyone who would have experienced it the first time this year, they got their money's worth. I expect it will be different every year, but the thing I think is the best attraction (the lit up forest environs) is limited due to just not having any more red pine on that tract.

They really need to keep the undercover law enforcement element out. Cops running through the woods dressed in black with service pistols on them at night really kills the buzz and is not at all cool. They ought to ban 'em outright. I mean seriously - so kids are taking drugs...that's pretty much the extent of the laws being broken. I mean I'm sure there are other bad things going on, but for the most part, it's a very peaceful place with BY FAR overwhelmingly peaceful people, so the whole experience has been WAY better than the typical rock concert sort of venue.

It doesn't surprise me at all that someone would return your sons cell phone. Wouldn't you return someone's cell phone if you found it?
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Re: ROTHBURY 2009 - Thanks for the Update

Postby denise » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:36 pm

of course i would, but if i find money in the washer or dryer, i sometimes consider it a tip ;)
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe