World's BEST . . . AND Worst "All-Inclusive" Resorts?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: World's BEST . . . AND Worst "All-Inclusive" Resorts?

Postby Mikethehack » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:59 am

I have never done resorts, unless you count all the times I hung out at refugee camps.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby buffybot_in_beirut » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:30 pm

US military bases in Iraq or Afghanistan? Free accommodation, free laundry, free gym, free medical care, free food, free drink (non-alcoholic, though). US miliary staff can even send their "holiday postcards" home at no cost, courtesy of USPS free mail privileges. And unlike Club Med, you get paid for staying there, not vice versa. Hey maybe the US military should use these similarities as a recruitment slogan! Dangers...? Well, put it into perspective: You'll be totally safe from any tsunamis!
buffybot_in_beirut
BFCus Regularus

Postby 8victor8 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:24 am

theroad2 wrote:I tend to agree with Penta---they're boring. I've only been to one once in Crete. It was for a meeting. The place sucked. The food was terrible and there were pudgy geezers and skanky Russian girls everywhere. Even just 1000 meters away, the rocky beach was far more appealing than the manicured one at the resort. But, the meeting was good and my wife enjoyed the sun.

What is wrong with skanky Russian girls everywere(smile)
8victor8

Postby Woodsman » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:35 am

8victor8 wrote: What is wrong with skanky Russian girls everywere(smile)

I only saw one in Jamaica with a kinky little chain bathing suit and bigger than life sunglasses. Looked hot, but one of the more husky player Jamaicans told me "look, no touch"...apparently, she's owned by someone you don't screw with.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:16 am

When I lived in Bulgaria with some American friends one of my roomates invited a friend of ours and his girlfriend to come and visit. It was not good. We got in a simple argument with Bulgarian transit cops on the trams and my friend's Bulgarian girlfriend (now his wife) slapped a transit cop. Not a big deal in 1993 but our visiting friend freaked out. He was paralyzed with fear, his bowels went into overdrive and because of that incident he never left the toilet in our apartment and he never wanted to leave either.

Later when he returned to Wisconsin he wrote a harsh letter to us accusing us of endangering his and his girlfriend's lives. The end of that letter (back in the days when we wrote letters instead of e-mails) he vowed to only travel with package tours in respectable countries. The next year he and the girlfriend (now his wife) went on a package tour of England to castles.

We thought that was great for him. At least he did not panic so much that he swore off travel altogether. We thought it was comical that the almost everyday event of getting hassled by cops in the Balkans was so terrifying for him but the fact was that it was terrifying for him. Some people just do not want to have the personal relationship with their travels like I did (and still do) and should not be expected or condemned for not emulating me.

I could never do a package deal to Cancun but if you are going to Cancun you might as well do a package deal. (as El Presidente said). Also I can really see how after working for a whole year how sometimes you just want to fork over the cash and not think about anything...that is the real bargain of package deals.

I knew a trader on Wall street who was so stressed out he would just call Club Med and say "Book a vacation for me during this time period" when they asked him where he wanted to go and what he wanted to do he said "I don't care...just book something and mail me the tickets". He had such a stressful job he just could not be bothered to think about anything else.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ElPeregrino » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:37 am

Would agree that resorts in general are boring as hell, and isolated. That said, if you're going somewhere for a beach they're handy and easy. Stayed in one in Jamaica (Beaches Sandy Bay, about twenty minutes from Negril) with the family two years ago. Nice enough diving for Jamaica, cool watersports (Hobiecats are neat little diversionary toys), and tasty enough if repetitive food. On the other hand, it was like living in a fucking walled compound for a week. Zero interaction with real Jamaicans except for the guy selling weed on the beach and the guy grilling fish over an open fire on the island about two miles offshore. To get the real experience of any country, just take a taxi into town and wander around. We were barely out of the compound before we found the whores standing on the street. Dolla dolla bill ya'll.

I'd also suggest making friends with one of the twenty-something local guys that seem to loiter around the resorts clipping grass with scissors or the like. Those guys can not only play mean games of ping-pong, but also tend to know where the party is.
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
—Ambrose Bierce—
ElPeregrino

Postby rickshaw92 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:10 am

reshma wrote:What is the drinking age in the Atlantis resort in the bahamas? I am 18 and I was wondering if I could drink in the resort or only outside of i

Lick the underside of my nut sack after a 15 hours shift on the shaw. Bitch.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby el3so » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:35 pm

Sheesh, mr Shaw, manners cost naught, no? Welcome to the Flag, reshma.

my € 0.02:
your parents don't want you to achieve adulthood. That's natural. They know the pitfalls of adulthood, all that freedom. They know it only too well.
Temptation to stray, deflecting their guilt and anger onto you for a crime that's not even a crime.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Mikethehack » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:43 am

I would say Guantanamo.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Re:

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:14 pm

el3so wrote:Sheesh, mr Shaw, manners cost naught, no? Welcome to the Flag, reshma.

Its just a troll dude.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby el3so » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:14 pm

rickshaw92 wrote: Its just a troll dude.

my bad.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby El Presidente » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:52 am

Stayed at a shithole called Riu Tropical Palace Negril earlier this week. Nice beach, but shitty service, pool,and food. Go with Sandals.
El Presidente
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:54 am

You gotta go all-in in Barbados unless you're Simon Cowell. I didn't initially but when I was charged over £40 for two breakfasts on the first morning I soon changed to all-in/drink what you want. The catch was only local beers and spirits - with a few exceptions - were 'free'.

When I left after ten days 'on it' the resort considered expanding their pay-as-you-go policy to include the local swally as well, the suppliers and deliverymen were happy me and some little Canadian alcoholic rocked up there though I'm sure

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby coldharvest » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:34 am

flipflop wrote:You gotta go all-in in Barbados

Yep, Barbados is top notch.
Sam Lords Castle at the top of the island used to be superb but I haven't been for years.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Novimya » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Love the Hilton Waikoloa. Fantastic.
Novimya

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe