Bamiyan, Afghanistan

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Bamiyan, Afghanistan

Postby cjpurcell » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:58 pm

Looking to go to the Bamiyan Buddha area - the ones the Taliban destroyed - apparently that province is safe
http://wikitravel.org/en/Bamiyan

Also want to check out this lake:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Band-e_Amir

Don't know if you know of anyone in Kabul that can give any pointers - seems as if Kabul is not safe, but if I can organise a driver direct from airport to
Bamiyan and keep a low profile should be fine. Anyone know the ins and outs of this - anybody know some reliables on the ground who can organize transport to the area and back. Obviously do not want to hang around in Kabul. Any advice appreciated
cjpurcell

Re: Bamiyan, Afghanistan

Postby Penta » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:44 pm

Ask flipflop.
And you might want to look at his pictures:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=36262
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby flipflop » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:36 pm

Cheers Penta. Both Bamiyan and Band-e-Amir are safe for foreigners. But, it's snowed in at this time of year, you'll have to wait until March at the earliest before going there. As for transport from Kabul, I don't want to give you any old advice because I'm not sure how to go about it as an independent traveller - I went there as part of my job. You'll need to do more homework and search online more I'm afraid. Try travelblogs and type in "Bamiyan" on google blog search, I'm sure there's lots of good advice out there. I can say that the main road north from Kabul is the safest by far of all the main routes in/out of Kabul, with next to negligible Taliban/AGE (Anti Gov Elements) activity. The drive is exhilirating if sore on the old arse - plenty of cheap minibuses run the route, but again, be smart and do the research.

Kabul itself isn't that dangerous as long as you keep your wits about you and get a good local guide - this is essential for keeping you out of harm's way. If you book accommodation make sure they supply transport for the short trip from the airport into town. Once there ask hotel staff to sort out a guide at a reasonable price and enjoy this great city - you'll love it - not as much as Bamiyan, but it's all good.

Feel free to pm me for anything and make sure you do the trip, you'll not regret it

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby cjpurcell » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:37 pm

Thanks - appreciate the advice. Will wait until late March - there is a return plane service to the area for $500 which is what I was quoted for a return 4X4 - so will probably go with the plane option depending on the schedule. Will post some pics when I get back. Cheers.
cjpurcell

Postby flipflop » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:15 am

cjpurcell wrote:Thanks - appreciate the advice. Will wait until late March - there is a return plane service to the area for $500 which is what I was quoted for a return 4X4 - so will probably go with the plane option depending on the schedule. Will post some pics when I get back. Cheers.

No problem. The plane ride is awesome over Bamiyan, get that camera ready and ask which side gives you a view of the buddhas, the gravelly uneven runway is a must do event too. When we were there we had to clear the runway of motorbikes, sheeps and goats as the aircraft was making it's landing run in each day.

I personally would take the overland route - takes 9-12 hours by 4x4. A local service minibus would be more fun (not for your arse cheeks though) but far longer, with plenty of stops and people to meet along the way. Hazaras are the friendliest people I've met in Afghanistan so far, you'll have the trip of a lifetime.

Make sure you come back alive to post those pics ;-)))

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby crotalus01 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:44 pm

The Band-e-Amir lakes are stunningly beautiful, but swimming is a no-go. They are absolutely frigid, and the minerals in the water that give it that cobalt blue are toxic (or so I was told - the temperature was enough to keep me out of the water).
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Chimborazo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:07 pm

crotalus01 wrote:The Band-e-Amir lakes are stunningly beautiful, but swimming is a no-go. They are absolutely frigid, and the minerals in the water that give it that cobalt blue are toxic (or so I was told - the temperature was enough to keep me out of the water).

Are there any fish in there?
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:28 pm

No clue. I did not see any, or anyone fishing for that matter...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Stiv » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:05 am

crotalus01 wrote:The Band-e-Amir lakes are stunningly beautiful, but swimming is a no-go. They are absolutely frigid, and the minerals in the water that give it that cobalt blue are toxic (or so I was told - the temperature was enough to keep me out of the water).

Fansy went swimmin in it didn't ya?

~Stiv
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:06 am

Stiv wrote:

~Stiv

I did - I managed 1 minute before my knackers almost disappeared for good and my heart stopped. A mate lost his wedding ring swimming in it when his fingers shrunk in the cold. Worst bit is getting back out if it's a windy day, which is pretty much everyday up there, but it's still a must do event - a real man-test.

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Fansy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:59 pm

Stiv wrote:

~Stiv

yah it shrunk my dicknballz 5 sizes.

of course was still over a foot long.

i took one of dem minibuses up there from kabul fer 8 hour trip of ass-banging faggotry. they might not want to take you unless you dress a decent afghan since, as i recall, the bus route passes near or through wardark, mebbe even near meydan, and them dudes are little wary of getting pashtuns/talib sympathizers pissed off at em.

from bamiyan hired some driver with my friend round-day-trip to bande amir for 60 bucks maybe?

but that water is just too fukn cold.
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby thewalrus » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:45 pm

Fansy wrote:
Stiv wrote:

~Stiv

yah it shrunk my dicknballz 5 sizes.

of course was still over a foot long.

i took one of dem minibuses up there from kabul fer 8 hour trip of ass-banging faggotry. they might not want to take you unless you dress a decent afghan since, as i recall, the bus route passes near or through wardark, mebbe even near meydan, and them dudes are little wary of getting pashtuns/talib sympathizers pissed off at em.

from bamiyan hired some driver with my friend round-day-trip to bande amir for 60 bucks maybe?

but that water is just too fukn cold.

There are two hiace routes to Bamiyan. Best visualized in Google Earth or the AIMS maps of various Afghan provinces:

1) Faster way, through wardak. Avoid.

2) North from Kabul on the main highway through the Shomali plains which travels Charikar -> Jebel-os-Sooraj -> Salang Pass. You can't miss it, this is the only other paved road which goes north up the Shomali, the other one being east from Bagrami district in the warehouse area of Kabul to Bagram air base.

Take #2. You'll exit the west end of the city and pass a lot of petrol stations. About 20 minutes on the highway north of the city of Charikar is the turnoff for minibuses which go through the Ghorband valley. You can't really miss it, it has lots of buses and carwash stands. This is the longer way to Bamiyan first via the Ghorband valley then over the Shibar pass, which is quite scenic by itself. Quite a bit safer compared to going through Wardak, however. You should be able to find minibuses starting from Kabul which travel on this route from the "bus station", and I use the term loosely, in the Chair Khana district of west Kabul.
thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:46 am

I think we went through Wardak, it wasnt that bad but that was 5 or so years ago so Caveat Empter
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby flipflop » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:50 pm

crotalus01 wrote:I think we went through Wardak, it wasnt that bad but that was 5 or so years ago so Caveat Empter

Wardak is a big no no. Get a flight - I just flew from Bamiyan to Kabul this afternoon - 22mins from wheels up to wheels down, that was by private plane though. Or get an NGO job and fly UNHAS, via Kandahar then Herat - 4-5 hours in the sky.

But seriously, drive in the Charikar route - it's clear now all the way to Bamiyan, if a bit mucky - 9 hours it should take you by 4x4. Bamiyan to Band-e-Amir and Yakaowlang is still rough right now with snow ploughs working overtime and mud everywhere, I got some great photos of those daft Kabul UN drivers getting bogged in up to the doors, fookers haven't a clue about low ratio driving and are only good at cutting you up in town. Great stuff.

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby BigFire » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:44 am

Please inform me on how to get a quickly get a NGO job while on ground? Thanks.
BigFire

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe