Just outgeeked my brother: Virtual Mac...

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Just outgeeked my brother: Virtual Mac...

Postby ktrout » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:37 am

My older brother just told me he's running Mac OS on his laptop on a USB hard drive. I was already playing with it in a virtual machine. Things get a little dodgy running XP and Mac OS under Linux on a poor little laptop, though...
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=139178
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Re: Just outgeeked my brother: Virtual Mac...

Postby Woodsman » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:43 pm

This sort of thing is getting popular. My father in law is doing the same thing on his I-mac. (I think that's the one). Apparently, he has run into difficulty with finding a wireless driver or something so he can bring it over to Linux. I really don't know the extent of this since I have never used Linux (though I have always heard great things about it).
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:09 pm

I started using Linux about 15 years ago as the Internet started picking up steam. Its best niche is for IT types, but it has other uses.
Your Dad could run one of the free versions of VMWare with Linux as a guest if he still wants it. I don't really know much about Apple hardware. How old is his machine?
I like OpenSuSe myself. The Apple OS has some UI behaviors that I don't really like and I always go back to Linux.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby IT_whipping_boy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:48 pm

I see plenty of Linux folks booting from a jump drive. Never thought of trying it with OSx.

Unfortunately, you can’t boot Windows through USB. The craptastic engineers designed it so that all bus addresses are renumbered by the OS. I was going to try to run Vista on my IMAC via an external hard drive through the USB. Then I came to my senses and stuck with boot camp.
“Thinking that merely a positive attitude will bring you success is like parachuting with a handkerchief.”
IT_whipping_boy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:35 am

I tried Vista on a new machine I bought. Gave it a shot for a couple of weeks. I had too many hardware and software incompatibilities and got annoyed at the fact that it used almost a gigabyte of memory just to boot.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:12 pm

IT_whipping_boy wrote:I see plenty of Linux folks booting from a jump drive. Never thought of trying it with OSx.

Unfortunately, you can’t boot Windows through USB. The craptastic engineers designed it so that all bus addresses are renumbered by the OS. I was going to try to run Vista on my IMAC via an external hard drive through the USB. Then I came to my senses and stuck with boot camp.

i got xp booting/running from a usb flash drive (presumably you could do the same with better results from a usb hdd). theres a site/forum or two out there explainin how to set it up.
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe