thinkin bout gettin a laptop.

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: thinkin bout gettin a laptop.

Postby Beer » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:43 pm

marie-angelique wrote:so do you carry around a portable DVD drive then?

I was able to find a USB powered DVD burner/reader but it rarely get's used. I will typically rip a DVD to digital format for travel.

-Beer
Beer

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:26 pm

How much do you want to spend?

I figured on about 500£ quid or so. Ill wait and see. When I get back from India rickshaw season will be about to start and I really should be workin. Besides I got a dvd player from the last property I was stayin at and it just might work. Insidently hows the moble broadband in Thailand?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:19 am

The mobile broadband is ok, it has packet errors during peak hours (like rush hour) but overall it is the best and cheapest in Southeast Asia

I would suggest that you buy a refurbished laptop from Dell, you can get a 6 to 9 month old laptop that is pretty kick ass for 500 pounds. Just go to the Dell website and click refurbished laptops.

-JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:18 pm

The thing with them refurbished things if the guy who owned it before might have been a kiddie diddler with all kinds of pedo crap left on the hard drive. Or a terrorist with a nuke recipe for that matter.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Woodsman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:27 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:The thing with them refurbished things if the guy who owned it before might have been a kiddie diddler with all kinds of pedo crap left on the hard drive. Or a terrorist with a nuke recipe for that matter.

Just reformat the drive or use a cleaner with solid specs and you'll be fine. The place I buy refurbs already clean the drive up and do a fresh install.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dr. V » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:37 pm

Woodsman wrote:
rickshaw92 wrote:The thing with them refurbished things if the guy who owned it before might have been a kiddie diddler with all kinds of pedo crap left on the hard drive. Or a terrorist with a nuke recipe for that matter.

Just reformat the drive or use a cleaner with solid specs and you'll be fine. The place I buy refurbs already clean the drive up and do a fresh install.

The place I mentioned do all that for you and will also install any software that you want (word, excel etc) before they send it to you.
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:12 pm

vlindsay wrote:
Woodsman wrote:

The place I mentioned do all that for you and will also install any software that you want (word, excel etc) before they send it to you.

Then thats 2 dbl G & Ts I owe ya! :)
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:45 pm

All refurbished Dell laptops have been completely wiped

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe