Summer Job

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Summer Job

Postby bmarx » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:12 pm

Hey guys, so here's the situation: I am a university student in Canada and I'm trying to find an interesting and well paying summer job. I am open to any and all suggestions, preferably legal though. I can work in the US and Canada and am looking to make 5000+ over the four months of summer. What would you guys do with all that time?
"If we're too lazy to learn history history, maybe we can learn plots." -Chuck Palahniuk
bmarx

Re: Summer Job

Postby SRR » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:57 pm

We can do a back-of-the napkin calculation for this:

I can work in the US and Canada and am looking to make 5000+ over the four months of summer.

5000 / 4 = 1250 per month

1250 per month = 312.50 per week

= 44.64 per day.

that's one hand job a day, really. Locate yourself near an alley to ensure you don't need the expense of renting an orifice.... I mean, office.

am open to any and all suggestions, preferably legal though.

It's legal if you're consenting and out of the public eye.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby Jumper » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:55 am

Forest Fire Fighting--both Canada and the US hire every summer for that work. For the US, you must be a US citizen for federal forest fire fighting. I don't know about Canada, but I am sure someone could chime in. In the US, it pays about 12 dollars an hour.
Feral Jundi

http://www.feraljundi.com

A blog about the security contracting industry.
Jumper
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:00 am

Hm, I worked as a barista in Ireland and came out with US$12/hr and only superficial burns. You could get a longer visa and save 3000 euros which would be 5000 CAD. Or, cheaper, drive to Alaska and work in a fish factory.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:33 pm

Yup firefighting would probably be a good job. Lots of sitting around (standby) with those jobs, but when things are hopping, better be in good shape.

I'd look into working on a boat in Alaska. I knew a friend who did that and made a lot of money.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:51 pm

http://www.alaskajobfinder.com/

I also had a friend who did some sort of river guiding / hiking type tourism work up there. Not sure if it was a lot of money but sounded like fun.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:24 pm

http://www.rickshawservices.com/

You will have to get a license and put up with a lot of muppets.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby bmarx » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:09 pm

5000 / 4 = 1250 per month

1250 per month = 312.50 per week

= 44.64 per day.

Haha thats true, I forgot to mention that I'm looking to make 5k profit, so after apartment, food, and fun. Thanks for suggestions so far.
"If we're too lazy to learn history history, maybe we can learn plots." -Chuck Palahniuk
bmarx

Postby SRR » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:47 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:You will have to get a license and put up with a lot of muppets.

Yeah, there's one in particular that can cause lots of problems.

"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby WillyBlues » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:44 pm

I waited on tables most summer, good coin and a great way to meet chicks. But with the economy it probably sucks now. It NYC the trade is dominated by unemployed (except for their real job) actors, actresses, singers, etc.
"All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something that isn't even visible."
WillyBlues
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:49 pm

$5k profit after expenses.

Plus it has to be interesting.

Well, you are fucked except for maybe Jumper's suggestion. "Interesting" summer jobs on such short notice tend to pay next to nothing since they are often internships or volunteer work.

But since you are a college student I recomend going someplace that gets alot of tourists where there are other college students who work there. Friends of mine went to Estes Park Colorado and I went to Door County in Wisconsin...then you work in a restaurant.

College students will give up anything for a party, and when they are together there is a party every night so you can earn over-time by working the hours of the social butterflies. This way you can work 60 hours a week which is like getting paid for working 70 hours a week and instead of meeting drunk girls at those parties you are missing you will be sleeping with waitresses that share similar hours and a similar work ethic.

But forget interesting. Remember this bit of advice: All jobs suck, but you have to do them anyway.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby matt5058 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:55 pm

Kurt wrote:Remember this bit of advice: All jobs suck, but you have to do them anyway.

I think a better choice of words would be 'All jobs suck but you just have to find one that sucks the least'. Lol
matt5058
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:04 pm

matt5058 wrote:
Kurt wrote:Remember this bit of advice: All jobs suck, but you have to do them anyway.

I think a better choice of words would be 'All jobs suck but you just have to find one that sucks the least'. Lol

No. Not even that.

I have a good job now that I actually enjoy doing but this is after having resigned myself that I would have a crappy job and be poor my whole life. That kind of negative thinking actually leads to a positive attitude since if you get a crap job until the day you die it is not a big loss since it was what you were expecting all along. The people who say "I didn't go to college so I could end up doing _______" are not going to last long in this economy.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby marie-angelique » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:38 pm

i dunno, i went to grad school for a very specific reason to get a very specific job, which i eventually got, and enjoy very much. and i knew the pay would sorta suck from the get go, but it doesn't suck that much and nowadays it's getting pretty good. and the vacations are looooooong :)
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Firedraik » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:26 am

Depending on where you are in Canada (or where you're willing to drive to) there are tree planting companies that you can make a fortune working for during the summer. You make about 5¢ - 10¢ a tree and I have heard tales of people clearing as much as $1k in a very, very long brutal day. The work is hard, but I've got a number of friends that do it to pay for college every year.

Plus depending on where you work you get to ride in helicopters and / or Unimogs to get to your site.

That or live in your car and work in Ft. McMurray. Not recommended, but I hear the pay is good.
The new kid
Firedraik

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe