Bands

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Bands

Postby z911hyper » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:35 pm

FLORIDA: We live where you come to die
She speaks Italian, She speaks French, and I can't even speak good English
z911hyper
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:06 pm

19 D 20 wrote:
LechoZX wrote:
Q wrote: I mean, what's dark about fucking Florida????

Old Farts like nowonmai

Deicide !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJkMrl4AG8w

Sharp!
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Beer » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:00 pm

Give Manu Chao a try. I think he's a French guy that mostly performs in Spanish. Not heavy, good dance/travel tunes.

-Beer
Beer

Postby Stiv » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:44 pm

Beer wrote:Give Manu Chao a try. I think he's a French guy that mostly performs in Spanish. Not heavy, good dance/travel tunes.

-Beer

Brazilian I think I saw him on "Live from Abby road" an aquired taste for sure.

~Stiv
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby rdkll » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:25 pm

Stiv wrote:
Beer wrote:Give Manu Chao a try. I think he's a French guy that mostly performs in Spanish. Not heavy, good dance/travel tunes.

-Beer

Brazilian I think I saw him on "Live from Abby road" an aquired taste for sure.

~Stiv

he is french with galician roots. performs in spanish, french, portugese and and .
you also might give Mano Negra a try. his former band.

he's pretty popular in lat. am. which is pretty rare for non latin american bands. they love their own stuff.
rdkll
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:19 pm

Speaking of LATAM musical acts.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0CsLefLisE
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby Ultra Swain » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:30 pm

I started listening to Terry Reid this weekend. Amazing couple of records Superlungs and Seeds of Memory.

This is the write-up astralwerks re-issue of wuperlungs

If one were to describe a band that was mix of folk, blues, metal, pure rock & roll, a fiery guitar attack, and a set of super lungs, one could easily think one was talking about one of the greatest rock’n’roll groups of all time - Led Zeppelin. That description however is reserved for just one man, Terry Reid, an artist whose immense vocal and songwriting talents led him to be Jimmy Page’s first choice as lead singer in Led Zeppelin. Forced to turn down Page's offer due to a contractual impasse, Reid quietly became the unsung architect of Led Zeppelin by leading Page to both Robert Plant and John Bonham.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby z911hyper » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:04 am

Ultra Swain wrote:
If one were to describe a band that was mix of folk, blues, metal, pure rock & roll, a fiery guitar attack, and a set of super lungs, one could easily think one was talking about one of the greatest rock’n’roll groups of all time - Led Zeppelin. That description however is reserved for just one man, Terry Reid, an artist whose immense vocal and songwriting talents led him to be Jimmy Page’s first choice as lead singer in Led Zeppelin. Forced to turn down Page's offer due to a contractual impasse, Reid quietly became the unsung architect of Led Zeppelin by leading Page to both Robert Plant and John Bonham.

The man should be worshiped as a god, (the unseen hand directing the greatest play (life) is god, so the man directing zeppelin from behind the current is a at least a rock god, and much to my benifit, this post made me check out and discover Reid, and within thirty seconds of listening to the first track i found (Dean), I could feel the influence on Zeppelin, and even if I may be so bold see where Zeppelin might have been better if they would have been able to work out the contractual obligations , and on that note my interest in this thread has payed dividends ten fold, thank you ultra swain
z911hyper
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:20 pm

You are welcome, I am having a great streak of finding new music.
Check out the Veils (Jesus for Jugular)
Mudcrutch (Tom Petty's band before the heartbreakers)
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby z911hyper » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:47 pm

The Veils are pretty solid, good pick, I had heard mudcrutch before but you brought them back to the forefront of my sieve like brain.
couple of other good ones, The Decemberists, Long Winters, and Damien Rice
z911hyper
BFCus Regularus

Postby babihutan » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:08 pm

for WORLD MUSIC: check out PUTUMAYO COLLECTION, excellent African, Reggae, lots of new age sounding Arab music, Celtic, Latin,little bit of everything.
I got sick of the grindcore, Euro death/coke/speed metal, hardest I go would be TERROR, RINGWORM these days. I know, I'm getting soft.
Even down another notch would be a lot of the punk/hardcore from the 80's. Bands like TSOL, SOCIAL DISTORTION, CIRCLE JERKS, YOUTH BRIGADE, AGNOSTIC FRONT, CIRCLE ONE ETC
A little more poppy, but still somewhat rebellious would be MISFITS, DAG NASTY, and most 90's bands like: FACE TO FACE, DOWN BY LAW, PENNYWISE, 22 JACKS, PULLEY
I can always count on any of the above music to get me off my lazy ass if need be, and I find it goes very well on the road, travelling, workin out, fun, so it suits me great for most occasions, but definitely wouldn't recommend it for dinner parties, or exotic dancing
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby z911hyper » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:08 pm

babihutan wrote:I got sick of the grindcore, Euro death/coke/speed metal, hardest I go would be TERROR, RINGWORM these days. I know, I'm getting soft.
Even down another notch would be a lot of the punk/hardcore from the 80's. Bands like TSOL, SOCIAL DISTORTION, CIRCLE JERKS, YOUTH BRIGADE, AGNOSTIC FRONT, CIRCLE ONE ETC
I can always count on any of the above music to get me off my lazy ass if need be, and I find it goes very well on the road, travelling, workin out, fun, so it suits me great for most occasions, but definitely wouldn't recommend it for dinner parties, or exotic dancing

I actually was taken to a gentlemens club in Germany that had exotic dancers dancing to German death metal, one of the strangest things i've ever seen, fake blood (i hope it was fake) and strippers should never mix
z911hyper
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:30 pm

I dunno.....Something particularly appealing about a gothic chick grinding against a pole to "Last Caress".

'Course, I've been having naughty dreams about slutty vampires lately so........
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby khalampre » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:32 pm

more please
I hate everything about you - Ugly Kid Joe
khalampre
BFCus Regularus

Postby ElPeregrino » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:24 pm

khalampre wrote:more please

I've listened to lots of Ray Charles' stuff lately. Little different from the other stuff I've posted though.

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but the new Metallica album is pretty good, and of course their older music too. Seether?

My latest World music acquisition was Luiz Bonfa's "Solo in Rio 1959" album.
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
—Ambrose Bierce—
ElPeregrino

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe