Bands

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Bands

Postby khalampre » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:42 pm

Well what type of musical groups do you people recommend.
khalampre
BFCus Regularus

Re: Bands

Postby ElPeregrino » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:43 pm

Depends on the mood:

1. Bob Dylan (Nashville Skyline is my favorite album, followed by Blonde on Blonde <heehee> and John Wesley Harding).

2. Assorted Rock — old Nickelback stuff, + a few new songs; Metallica; U2; Green Day; Black Stone Cherry (if you don't look up anything else on this list, check out "Blind Man" and "Hell & High Water", both very good songs if you're into rock); the Dropkick Murphys (traditional Irish songs turned into punk rock tunes. See "(F)lannigans Ball"); AC/DC of course, etc etc. I got tired of typing the rock list, if you want more suggestions I will provide them.

3. Coldplay.

4. Assorted Rap. Try Akon and T-Pain's "Change".

5. Ottmar Liebert and Rodrigo y Gabriela have some awesome classical/latin guitar songs.

6. Non-mainstream Johnny Cash. For example, "I Hung My Head" not "Folsom Prison Blues".

7. "Jane I Still Feel the Same" by Matthew Ryan. Good acoustic tune, but the lyrics make it worthwhile.

My musical taste is pretty wide-ranging.
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
—Ambrose Bierce—
ElPeregrino

Postby phasmoid » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:41 am

That's like asking what food is good. What are you in the mood for? I believe all genres have something to offer, but you have to sift to the 90% crap to find the gems.

I'll send out some odd ones that may be off the radar,and others more well known but required listening. Hit the Itunes man.

Olu Dara - this is the rapper Nas's Dad. The guys has been a heavy player in hard bop jazz bands for years but has his own traditional american blues/songwriting thing going. Awesome. We used the tune "Your Lips" at my wedding.

Daniel Lanois - big time producer that worked with U2, Peter Gabriel, Bob Dylan, and a ton of others. He's down with Brian Eno. His own stuff is absurdly awesome. Check Acadie, and The Beauty of Winona.

Gillian Welch - no i am not a lesbian, and she's awesome. She helped revive traditional Appalachian mountain music recently. Its straight no chaser old school and beautiful. I immediately learn all the guitar parts (and banjo) when a new record hits.

Scott H Biram - texas whisky trucks satan women chicken

Bowie - Its fucking David Bowie

James Brown - the 70's funk stuff. Get "in the jungle groove" or anything after Bootsy joined the band.

Ramones
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
phasmoid
BFCus Regularus

Postby ElPeregrino » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:10 am

Don't hit the iTunes. I only use it for syncing with the media player, because, hate it if you want, it's still the best.

Use Frostwire for downloads. Or try the Orbit downloader, which I've been to referred to but have yet to check out.

Seconded on what Phasmoid said about the music though. Waaaay too many genres to just say "hey, what's good" you know.
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
—Ambrose Bierce—
ElPeregrino

Postby khalampre » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:48 pm

Some good suggestions in there and I will look into them. At the moment I have no job and in internet connection. That = trying to find a job while filling up a hard drive with music. I am just trying to find some good stuff.

By the way, WOMENZ please chime in. I have no problem getting music for my wife to listen to. She is not a Brittney kind of girl, but she gets sick of classical (where as I could listen to it for hours) quickly.

Here is some of the stuff I have (most of these are discographies)

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Metallica
Pantera
cannibal corpse
Outkast
KRS-One
Dropkick Murphys
Green Day
Stray Cats (I love the Rock a billy)
Hank Jr
Willie Nelson
Johnny Cash
David Allen Coe
About 5 hours worth of random classical stuff
some random Turkish rap
Busta Rhymes
BB King
SRV
Beatles
Sublime
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
NIN
Cypress Hill
Dre
Snoop
Elvis
Led Zeppelin
Radiohead
Rob & White Zombie
Type O Negative
AC/DC
Ozzy
etc, etc, etc
I hate everything about you - Ugly Kid Joe
khalampre
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:08 pm

Two that haven't been mentioned and are excellent are Black Sabbath (Ozzy only) and Iron Maiden (Bruce Dickinson only).

Sometimes I have an itch that only Tribe Called Quest or Arrested Development will scratch.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:39 pm

I you are inclined, IM me a address over thar in Georgia Kal, and I'll try to burn some "music" for ya'all.

Hank III
Blood On The Saddle
The Rev Horton Heat
Southern Culture On The Skids
Hillbilly Hellcats
Horror Pops
Supersuckers
Legendary Shack Shakers
Split Lip Rayfield
Scroat Belly
Red Meat
Honky
Hickoids

I also have a lot more punk kinda stuff too.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Royal » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:02 am

khalampre wrote:Well what type of musical groups do you people recommend.

Get down'n dirty.
....................Image
Image We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:53 pm

19 D 20 wrote:I you are inclined, IM me a address over thar in Georgia Kal, and I'll try to burn some "music" for ya'all.

Hank III
Blood On The Saddle
The Rev Horton Heat
Southern Culture On The Skids
Hillbilly Hellcats
Horror Pops
Supersuckers
Legendary Shack Shakers
Split Lip Rayfield
Scroat Belly
Red Meat
Honky
Hickoids

I also have a lot more punk kinda stuff too.

No Drive By Truckers?

Have you ever heard of a band called Dirtball? They have not existed for years (although they were somewhat reincarnated into The Shiners).
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:54 pm

khalampre wrote:I have no problem getting music for my wife to listen to.

Barry White.
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:40 pm

I have the latest Drive by's, it's a little too slow for me.
Never heard Dirtball.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:50 pm

Front man was Wes Freed. Quite a character. He does a lot of the artwork for the Truckers and Cracker. Fun guy to hang out with, but I haven't seen him in years.
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby khalampre » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:53 pm

I you are inclined, IM me a address over thar in Georgia Kal, and I'll try to burn some "music" for ya'all.

You can save the stamp. Ask and the internet does provide. Thanks for the offer.
I hate everything about you - Ugly Kid Joe
khalampre
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:56 pm

Darkest Hour
Theatres des Vampires (kinda cheesy but good for attracting the goth broads)
Cradle of Filth
Blood Axis

I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby nowonmai » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:00 pm

I'd like to believe that Theatre des Vampires really are black hearted bastards but in truth the real attire of the walking nightmare made flesh is rather more functional than their carefully contrived outfits. I've yet to meet a goth who isn't oversensitive.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe