Best Ruins Near Cozumel

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Best Ruins Near Cozumel

Postby ElPeregrino » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:18 am

Going to be in Cozumel for Spring Break in a couple of weeks, diving and just kinda chilling out on the beach. Would like to hit the mainland and explore some Mayan ruins while I'm in the area though. Any suggestions beyond the standard guidebook info?

Would preferably be more obscure ruins, but not too far from the island, just to cut down on travel time. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Also, if you can comment on the diving nearby I'd appreciate that info too. You know, which company to use, any specific sites to dive, etc etc.

Thanks all.
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
—Ambrose Bierce—
ElPeregrino

Re: Best Ruins Near Cozumel

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:45 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:Going to be in Cozumel for Spring Break in a couple of weeks, diving and just kinda chilling out on the beach. Would like to hit the mainland and explore some Mayan ruins while I'm in the area though. Any suggestions beyond the standard guidebook info?

Would preferably be more obscure ruins, but not too far from the island, just to cut down on travel time. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Also, if you can comment on the diving nearby I'd appreciate that info too. You know, which company to use, any specific sites to dive, etc etc.

Thanks all.

For diving and/or fishing, I recommend Albatross Charters.

http://cafe.comebackalive.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42317
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tacos » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:48 am

Good diving there, some nice drift dives, but go with a reputable operator for the drift dives.

Plenty of them (good/reputable dive operators) around, just ask a few questions and you'll figure it out.

Ruins? Tulum is closer to where the ferries hit the mainland, but Chitzen Itza is the big draw in the area. There are also some cool cenotes in the area near Tulum and Xcaret.
Tacos
BFCus Regularus

Postby Margelatu » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:15 pm

Definitely, Tulum is the best place to visit. Is it nearby, Chichen Itza is the best, although is rather far. If you have enough time to spend on Yucatan mainland, you should go to Merida ( the capital of Yucatan State ) and also visit Uxmal and Dzibilchaltun. As for diving, Cozumel is the shit. Several companies in the area are providing good quality for around 95 bucks a two tank dive. A few names: Sand Dollar Sports, Dive with Martin, Deep Blue Divers. Santa Rosa reef is. great ( some sort of underwater coral caves ), Palancar reef, etc. You can also go to the Chankanaab park, nice thing, they have some underwater sculptures ( modern though ). If you want some more info, contact me on private. I'll be in Cozumel on 26th, maybe we can also meet for a drink. Have fun, mate
"Character IS Destiny"
Sigmund Freud
Margelatu

Postby ElPeregrino » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:34 pm

Thanks to all for the info.

I heard from my dive instructor that the drift diving was good because of fast currents, but he had never been so couldn't give me any good names. When I get there I'll check out these names and see which will cut me the best deal haha.

The underwater caves sound exceptional, I'll definitely have to get underwater there.

Thanks again! For what it's worth though, I won't be down there til 6 April.
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
—Ambrose Bierce—
ElPeregrino

Return to Black Flag Cafe