Institute for Counter Terrorism

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Institute for Counter Terrorism

Postby JonathanF » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:49 am

Has any body heard of the International Inst for Counter Terrorism in Israel?

Not sure if it is a good program or a waste of money. I cant find much about it on the internet.

http://www.ict.org.il/CTStudies/Counter ... fault.aspx

Upcoming program: June 28 - July 17, 2009 | Registration | Contact Us

The Counter-Terrorism Studies Program combines academic study, simulation models, workshops, and onsite briefings. The courses provide concentrated, in-depth exposure to the phenomenon of modern terrorism and its characteristics, modus operandi, scope and dissemination throughout the world. In addition, participants will obtain an understanding of the challenge this phenomenon presents to decision-makers, security establishments, first responders and the business sector, based on the experience Israel has accumulated in the field. Circumstances have forced Israel to develop sophisticated counter-terrorism strategies and techniques and to amass extensive knowledge regarding terrorism. The program will allow participants from around the globe to benefit from Israel’s experience and advanced international counter-terrorism efforts. Detective Alex Vargas, Anti-Terrorism Intelligence Section, Los Angeles Police Department (Class of winter 2006) states:

"The instructors’ academia and real-world experience creates an innovative course that is practical and much needed for the Counter-Terrorism arena."

The Counter-Terrorism Studies Program, offered by the Lauder School of Government, Diplomacy and Strategy and the Institute for Counter-Terrorism (ICT), at the Interdisciplinary Center (IDC) Herzliya, is a unique opportunity for professionals to learn about central issues in homeland security and counter-terrorism both from those with first-hand experience and those involved in cutting-edge research in these fields. Based on years of extensive research, instruction and work in the field, this multi-disciplinary program brings together the best of academic theory and practical knowledge.

For the past seven years, The Lauder School of Government has been offering courses on terrorism studies, counterterrorism and homeland security. The staff of ICT, also based at IDC Herzliya, is comprised of leading scholars and Israeli security professionals who teach these courses.

Dr. Boaz Ganor, Co-Founder, Executive Director of the ICT and Deputy Dean of the Lauder School of Government is the program’s Director.

Program Structure

The Counter-Terrorism Studies Program will be taught in English over a three-week period during the Summer. It includes 6 graduate level courses delivered by top experts from Israel and abroad who are among ICT’s senior researchers and associates. Each course consists of 20 academic hours taught over a concentrated period of a week.

Upon completion of the program, participants will be granted an Executive Certificate from ICT and the Lauder School of Government, Diplomacy and Strategy. An extended program will be offered in which an additional week-long cource can be added to the program: Arab Culture & Environment or Terrorism and Medicine Program. Participants may also take a partial program (between one to six courses). ICT and the Lauder School of Government will issue certificates for each course separately. However, the Counter-Terrorism Studies Program Executive Certificates will be granted only to participants who complete the entire program by passing all six courses.

Tuition

Tuition for the Executive Certificate Program in Counter-Terrorism Studies at IDC Herzliya is $5,360 (for all six courses). The tuition fee for taking a partial program is $1340 per course. Tuition fees do not include transportation to / from Israel or accommodation.
JonathanF

Re: Institute for Counter Terrorism

Postby Dr. V » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:41 am

ummm - Redharen is probably your best bet for this but...

1 There is a dire lack of academic (as in peer reviewed journal articles) written by anyone from the Institute for Counter Terrorism which considering it was founded in 1996 is a bit of a worry, although they could be more widely published in Israel as opposed to internationally - however nothing coming up in the academic journals relating to conflict studies.

2 They appear to be hooked into The Lauder School of Government, Diplomacy and Strategy which is a school / faculty within the Interdisciplinary Center - a private university. It’s rather lacking in saying if its awards are externally recognised by the local authorities.

3 It says passing all 6 courses but doesn’t tell you anything about assessment - the certificate that you receive at the end of the course will of attendance not achievement (depends what you want to do with the course once you have completed it)

4 '6 graduate level courses consists of 20 academic hours taught over a concentrated period of a week' – that works out at around 40 hours in the classroom – unless some of the hours are self study in which case that is 20 hours in the classroom and 20 hours in the errrr library, coffee shop, bed…. If your looking at 40 hours a week in the classroom plus assessments than that is a very heavy academic workload. The graduate level courses is unclear – undergraduate or post graduate?

5 '$5,360 (for all six courses)'. For a three week course without accommodation or flights or a recognised qualification sounds like total rip off.
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby redharen » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:05 pm

I've heard of this place but don't know much about it. I think the IDC is reputable but I also agree with vlindsay that you ought to be careful. There are actually a lot of "courses," "briefings," and "expeditions" in Israel that are just glorified bus tours aimed at Christian Zionists who love the IDF. Most of these include a trip to a base, some talks by mid-level army/security guys, an armored bus trip to some West Bank settlements, etc. This is different, but I kind of wonder if these folks aren't pandering to that same demographic in a somewhat more professional way.

You could probably get more bang for your buck if you looked into studying at Tel Aviv University for a semester -- lots of American universities do exchange programs with them and the course credits are transferable. The Moshe Dayan Center is there and you could learn a lot just by hanging around those folks. There's also the Shalem Center in Jerusalem: http://www.shalemcenter.org.il/.

But if you find out more about this or end up taking the course, let us know what it's like.
redharen
small ax

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:28 pm

Considering their 12 dollar website I would proceed with caution

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby vagabond » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:36 pm

I would say waste of money. Many other institutions w/ creds have similar programs just titled differently (Security Studies, etc) and would actually be recognized due to being part of the worldwide academic cabal. It strikes me as being similar to this place that I came across the other day. One look at their 'required reading' and their political priorities were rather apparent.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe