Yahts, Sailboats, and Ships

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Yahts, Sailboats, and Ships

Postby Chimborazo » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:17 pm

To echo the sentiments of others, with zero experience and close to zero knowledge of boats, you have no business piloting a vessel, whether it be in a harbour, inland, near coastal, or offshore. You need to know the rules of the road (especially in crowded waterways like harbours), at least basic navigation (how to read charts and ATONs...relying solely on GPS and depth sounders is stupid), and vessel handling at the minimum. Even docking and undocking in a slow current can get tricky, depending on the direction of your approach and the direction of the current.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby trueblue5x5 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:12 pm

DAmn Kurt! DiD you train at the Nick Burns school of Computer Guy!?????

GRWOLLLLLLLll!!!! You are a workaholic though for sure! ;^) [Please! I come in Peace! ]

Since my only real expertise on what NOT to do with vessels I would agree wholeheartedly with most of the board here.

1. you dont want to mess with a sail boat..... even those who love them and live on them know you have NO time for fun on the ocean other than keeping yourself sailing!

2.] motor boats/speed boats [I call 'em pimp boats] sounds like it just your cuppa tea! ;^) babe magnets go-fasts not -much good for anything else - they even look good at anchor and they always have a "berth" [ get yourself up to snuff and pick up some lingo if you wantto impress ANY wench who'll go out with you! ] [see any James bond movie]

3.] DEFINITELY spend the little extra to hire a capt! [he or she might not really be one - but if they are renting you the vessel they'll make damn sure it doesnt go where it aint supposed to and you'll really look like Daddy warbucks then!

4.] Playing DYIer on the water is the 100% foolproof way to really make yourself look and feel fooolish and perhaps even get hurt or busted. Even in US waters its become really ridiculous what the Marine patrol can bust you for,.. and they dont screw around- if theyve had a bad day they seize the boat and youre SOL.

5.] In THAILAND>???!!!!! What are you kidding me?????? Listen to JITW!!!! PLEASSSEEEEE !! and stock up on the rubbers!
dont lie to, disrespect or annoy a Dragon, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
trueblue5x5
BFCus Regularus

Postby lerenaissanceman » Fri May 01, 2009 9:12 am

Thanks for all your comments. They were all so informative. I just thought that I could just sort of get the boat an drive around like a car in a big parking lot. I guess not.

After a bit of research, I learned that you can get a pretty nice crewed boat with three cabins for 500 + 100 (capt) a day in Puckett. Thanks again.
lerenaissanceman

Postby Chimborazo » Fri May 01, 2009 1:22 pm

Cool...have fun!
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dabbi » Sat May 02, 2009 2:20 am

If you want to fool around get a jetski, much more fun than sailing in most ;)
Dabbi
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe