Yahts, Sailboats, and Ships

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Yahts, Sailboats, and Ships

Postby lerenaissanceman » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:10 am

Two weeks away from the PRT and want to rent a boat in Thailand. My Q is, as a non-regetta going fella: Do sailboats have motors on them? I want to rent a seagoing vessel with its own powersource with a small cabin for two or three days. I don't know how to sail. Is it hard to pilot a boat around? Will someone even rent a boat to me in Thailand with no water nav training? How much will such a small but nice boat cost to rent in Thailand? Thanks.
lerenaissanceman

Re: Yahts, Sailboats, and Ships

Postby coldharvest » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:01 am

lerenaissanceman wrote:Two weeks away from the PRT and want to rent a boat in Thailand. My Q is, as a non-regetta going fella: Do sailboats have motors on them? I want to rent a seagoing vessel with its own powersource with a small cabin for two or three days. I don't know how to sail. Is it hard to pilot a boat around? Will someone even rent a boat to me in Thailand with no water nav training? How much will such a small but nice boat cost to rent in Thailand? Thanks.

get one already crewed, sit back, relax and let someone who knows what they're doing handle it.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby lerenaissanceman » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi,

Thanks. But I am in a budget.
lerenaissanceman

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:10 pm

coldharvest wrote:
lerenaissanceman wrote:Two weeks away from the PRT and want to rent a boat in Thailand. My Q is, as a non-regetta going fella: Do sailboats have motors on them? I want to rent a seagoing vessel with its own powersource with a small cabin for two or three days. I don't know how to sail. Is it hard to pilot a boat around? Will someone even rent a boat to me in Thailand with no water nav training? How much will such a small but nice boat cost to rent in Thailand? Thanks.

get one already crewed, sit back, relax and let someone who knows what they're doing handle it.

Thats what Barroness Penta would do. Dont forget the Pimms!
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Kurt » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:45 pm

lerenaissanceman wrote:Hi,

Thanks. But I am in a budget.

You want to rent a boat and are on a budget but don't know how to sail?

You might want to reconsider this plan. What happens in Thailand if you crack up someone's boat...especially an expensive one with a cabin and a motor? Or if you hit another, smaller boat? If you are drunk?

If you cannot afford a small crew and you do not have boating experience like you will need you probably cannot afford the insurance to protect you from liability either.

Click above and get a quote from our sponsor just to get an estimate of what your plan might cost.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby lerenaissanceman » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi,

I obviously have no clue about seagoing vessels. I don't want a yaht, just something that I can pilot around pattaya, phucket, or koh sam mui to impress the girls and have some fun.

I guess I can afford something in the range of 500-1000 US a day. Is this a realistic budget? I saw some decent vessels in this range on the web.

Thanks.
lerenaissanceman

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:57 pm

Then you want a motorboat or powerboat – its basically a car on the water, spend the extra 20 bucks a day and hire a Thai to drive it for you

I obviously have no clue about seagoing vessels. I don't want a yaht, just something that I can pilot around pattaya, phucket, or koh sam mui to impress the girls and have some fun.

I guess I can afford something in the range of 500-1000 US a day. Is this a realistic budget? I saw some decent vessels in this range on the web.

Thanks.

For a g a day you can rent a yacht

for a g a week you can get something nice

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby lerenaissanceman » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:20 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:Then you want a motorboat or powerboat – its basically a car on the water, spend the extra 20 bucks a day and hire a Thai to drive it for you

Thanks.

For a g a day you can rent a yacht

for a g a week you can get something nice

~JITW

Thanks James. Do motortboats have below deck beds in them?
lerenaissanceman

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:25 pm

Yes

Dude, you are going to drown, hahahaaa

Shoot me a PM if you come to Thailand, we can have a drink and talk about the old days in the IZ

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby lerenaissanceman » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:45 pm

Cool,

Maybe, since you are rich, and I am just a lowly gov employee that we can get the boat together and you can magnanimously pay 70% and I pay 30%..we can get a real doozie and have lots of babes and do our own FTV yaht impression.
lerenaissanceman

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:23 pm

Sorry, I don’t share, its against my religion

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby Foulplay » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:29 am

Pal, you need to do some serious rethinking...

You want "sea-going", which typically means something that can handle rough water. This means something more than a little boat to potter around the harbour in.

All of this adds up to the kind of vessel that will demand the kind of budget that you are suggesting. Unfortunately for you, it also adds up to the kind of vessel that no owner on this planet will rent out "bareboat" charter (that's also what you're asking for) to somebody without at the very least a Coastal Skipper certificate.

To answer your other question... Yes, all but the smallest of modern yachts have an auxhilliary engine that can be used for motoring at slow speed, or motor-sailing in combination with the mainsail.

If you don't know these most basic of facts, you clearly have no training whatsoever, and are highly likely to put your vessel onto the rocks and/or do serious damage to it and other vessels in the marina. For that alone, you won't find anyone willing to rent you $50,000 worth of fibreglass and gelcoat.

Good luck.
editor<at>polosbastards.com
http://www.polosbastards.com
Foulplay
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dr. V » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:37 am

From the archives (which by the way I really really wish someone would fix the search engine for) - you could always ask for the prices etc. and go from there.....

http://cafe.comebackalive.com/viewtopic.php?t=28499
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby Kurt » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:46 am

vlindsay wrote:From the archives (which by the way I really really wish someone would fix the search engine for) - you could always ask for the prices etc. and go from there.....

http://cafe.comebackalive.com/viewtopic.php?t=28499

I fixed it.

Caffeine plus not giving a shit if I destroy the board really works wonders for fixing things.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Dr. V » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:11 am

Kurt wrote:
vlindsay wrote:From the archives (which by the way I really really wish someone would fix the search engine for) - you could always ask for the prices etc. and go from there.....

I fixed it.

Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe