Riders For Health

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Riders For Health

Postby marie-angelique » Thu May 07, 2009 9:55 am

any of y'all familiar with this NGO? it looks cool as hell.

http://www.riders.org/us/default.aspx
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Re: Riders For Health

Postby orangebox » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:06 am

RfH has a high profile at UK mo'cycle events and I've done some collecting for them in the past. A friend of mine is very active in their fundraising in the UK.
It also seems to be one of the most popular charities amongst my circle of acquaintances for donations after one of us has been killed on our bikes, which is fairly often this year.

It is an excellent charity with a simple, effective vision and clear mandate. I especially like their sustainable approach to education:

# Question: Can I work in your programmes in Africa?

Answer:

Riders does not use volunteers in any of its field programmes. All of the staff that Riders employs in its field programmes are nationals of the countries in which we work. Our policy of creating a sustainable solution to transport problems in Africa means that we are unable to accept these generous offers.

All of the health workers that use our motorcycles in Africa are employed by the national ministries of health, or other local agencies, not by Riders. The staff that Riders does employ in Africa provide the regular preventative maintenance to make sure that the bikes keep running. We also have staff that train health workers in safe vehicle handling, and in the basic vehicle maintenance that keeps vehicles on the road between services. To manage the fleets of vehicles and the maintenance programmes and schedules effectively also requires a programme team in each country.

Because our innovative work is managed by wholly-African teams, and not by volunteers or western expatriates it means that Riders is able to build a lasting base of knowledge and a culture of maintenance in the communities in which it works.
orangebox

Postby marie-angelique » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:20 pm

thanks for that, and welcome to the flag :)
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby nowonmai » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:47 pm

RfH has a high profile at UK mo'cycle events and I've done some collecting for them in the past.

I believ you and which goes to show that my visual filters are perfectly adjusted because I've never noticed them or heard of them.

Can't believe people south of the river are allowed on this board.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:04 pm

nowonmai wrote:Can't believe people south of the river are allowed on this board.

i take it that you are from north of the river then?

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby orangebox » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:43 am

nowonmai wrote:
RfH has a high profile at UK mo'cycle events and I've done some collecting for them in the past.

I believ you and which goes to show that my visual filters are perfectly adjusted because I've never noticed them or heard of them.

Can't believe people south of the river are allowed on this board.

We have people translate and type our impenetrable ramblings so that they can be understood by you posh-folk up north, so it's sort of posting-by-proxy... innit.

RFH usually run the helmet-bus at NEC or Ally-Pally etc., for donations in return for safekeeping of helmet/gloves for a few hours. And I've been accosted by volunteer collectors at Brightona and Brands Hatch before. I've worked on the helmet bus before, but I'll be buggered if I can remember where; I have the memory of a, erm... wossitcalled.
orangebox

Postby coldharvest » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:25 am

marie-angelique wrote:
nowonmai wrote:Can't believe people south of the river are allowed on this board.

i take it that you are from north of the river then?

I do believe he's from the huntin' and fishin' part of the country....but still a southerner to the likes of me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norfolk
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:54 pm

thanks for explaining, cold. the link had a pic of nowonmai's brain:

#1 must be where he keeps warm, fuzzy things. but what about the other 6?

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby coldharvest » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:14 pm

marie-angelique wrote:thanks for explaining, cold. the link had a pic of nowonmai's brain:

#1 must be where he keeps warm, fuzzy things. but what about the other 6?

#2: Contempt
#3: Violence
#4: Ennui
#5: Little Siberia
#6: Britishness
#7: Disillusionment
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:34 pm

i see that "warm and fuzzy" are completely encased within "contempt" and "ennui", preventing escape, brilliant analysis, cold :)

what's a Helmet Bus? sounds kinky..

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby orangebox » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:44 pm

marie-angelique wrote:i see that "warm and fuzzy" are completely encased within "contempt" and "ennui", preventing escape, brilliant analysis, cold :)

what's a Helmet Bus? sounds kinky..

Well, it is purple and 40ft long, with a strange attraction for men in leather, so how's that for kinky!
I'm sure it used to be an old double-decker London bus with benches instead of seats where helmets and leathers were kept in exchange for a raffle ticket.
It seems that they have a new one now though. :(
http://www.riders.org/us/Eventscalendar.aspx
orangebox

Return to Black Flag Cafe