I need a new car.....

Where to go, what to eat, where to stay, guides, and taxi drivers.

Check here to see what other BFCers have enjoyed.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: I need a new car.....

Postby Woodsman » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:13 pm

vlindsay wrote:Toyota Rav 4 - see above re running costs.

(110bhp 1.6 and a 146bhp 1.8= WTF?), ABS and all the added extras stuff[/size]

Go with the 146 BHP (what they are saying is slightly bigger engine, quite a bit more horsepower = better for passing and getting away from freaks behind the wheel).

Before the Jeep, we had a Toyota Rav 4. It was all time 4x4 and got 26mpg on the freeway. No problem driving all day with that one and plenty of storage room. Overall, I think it's a great vehicle for all practical uses that I could come up with.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:28 pm

26 MPG on the freeway would require a millionaire to run it in this country.

I'm tempted to buy that A3 myself, I've convinced myself of it except obviously I'd have to respray it death black, tint the windows and get those blue lights on the underside and a dry ice machine. Fuck it, I'll stick with my Vauxhall Chevette.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:02 pm

nowonmai wrote:26 MPG on the freeway would require a millionaire to run it in this country.

Actually mine will get almost 30 if I drive, uh, maturely. Fortunately I also like to bicycle and live within a mile of three plus supermarkets, several hardware stores, several auto parts stores, a Radio Shack ....

Fuck it, I'll stick with my Vauxhall Chevette.

My family had half a dozen of those when I was growing up. Must be one of the top ten worst cars ever. How's the brakes? The brakes on our cars had a tendency to spontaneously, uh, fail. Growing up in the snow belt driving cars with bad brakes was some of the best driver education I could ever had. Unfortunately it was subsequently destroyed by road racing in which winning requires driving on other car's bumpers at 100mph with the pedal floored regardless. Plus city driving which requires about the same behavior to keep from being made everyone else's bitch.

Go with the Subaru :).
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dr. V » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:38 pm

Since I've just spent most of the last two days driving around Britain's motorways in a car with no a/c and a radio which is stuck on BBC Radio 2 I've decided to have a radical rethink buy something which will allow me to hog the middle lane, drive up the back of the car in front whilst making obscene gestures and to wear a pair of shorts which only half cover my bum...........

after all what more could a girl possibly want from a car.
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby Penta » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:40 pm

You're going to be white van woman?
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby kilroy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:18 pm

go with the real. get a civic or accord. cars are a waste of money unless you are really into cars. and if you are really into cars, you can basically get whatever you want. and you'll know exactly what you want and won't have to ask. if you can't do your own maintenance and don't know how to drive well, it's just dumb to try to get a car that is 'cool', unless you have a lot of disposable income. get something cheap and practical that has decent fuel economy and keeps its resale value. if you really want to be practical get a honda fit, but given the complaints you had about the vw golf and mazda 3 i doubt it'd be your style.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dr. V » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:55 am

kilroy wrote: if you can't do your own maintenance and don't know how to drive well, it's just dumb to try to get a car that is 'cool', unless you have a lot of disposable income.

Please sir, if I know how to drive well and have sufficient disposable income to pay someone else to do the maintenance does that mean I can go ahead and buy a cool car?
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby Woodsman » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:03 pm

vlindsay wrote:
kilroy wrote: if you can't do your own maintenance and don't know how to drive well, it's just dumb to try to get a car that is 'cool', unless you have a lot of disposable income.

Please sir, if I know how to drive well and have sufficient disposable income to pay someone else to do the maintenance does that mean I can go ahead and buy a cool car?

No. ha ha
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:05 pm

kilroy wrote:if you really want to be practical get a honda fit, but given the complaints you had about the vw golf and mazda 3 i doubt it'd be your style.

Hondas make outstanding automobiles. I used to have a prelude and it was awesome. I had a girlfriend who owned a accord and it was awesome. If I was going to buy a car...well, didn't I already suggest a honda? :-)
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:23 pm

vlindsay wrote:

you're a grown ass woman, you can make your own decisions. just saying, unless you know enough about cars they waste a significant amount of cash that you could be putting into something else that you actually are into. is there nothing else you'd rather be spending that money on?
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:07 am

you're a grown ass woman,

I'm pretty sure that's insulting.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Aryan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:37 am

I wouldn't get a Golf, they are so bloated now. Civic (new version), you can pick one up now for #3k with not too much mileage. An A-class merc is good if you want a smaller car.
A3s are decent but are still a little overpriced in my opinion, although they've come down a lot.
The battlefield is the only proper school of the surgeon
-Hippocrates
Aryan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dr. V » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:00 pm

so - I'm test driving a Honda tomorrow .....

oh yes - its a CRX

ps - I prefer to describe my arse as peachy
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby kilroy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

ass was part of the adjective. as in youre a grown woman. it's used for emphasis, similarly to how it could be appended to dumb, as in 'the sentinal was a dumb ass movie'. not having seen your ass yet, i couldn't comment on it. crx's are nice though. they run forever, and don't look nearly as retarded as, say, a chevy cavalier.
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:49 pm

vlindsay wrote:Image

I wouldn't be caught dead in that.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to The Black Flag Cafe Recommends..