I need a new car.....

Where to go, what to eat, where to stay, guides, and taxi drivers.

Check here to see what other BFCers have enjoyed.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: I need a new car.....

Postby lightstalker » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:14 am

vlindsay wrote:so - I'm test driving a Honda tomorrow .....

oh yes - its a CRX

ps - I prefer to describe my arse as peachy

wtf?.... Honda stopped making those things over ten years ago. One of my mates back in University owned a 91' for two years before he plowed it into a tree.

Seriously, go for a Ford Focus or a Toyota Yaris if your budget is that limited.
The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Postby Dr. V » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:53 pm

Oh you bunch of heathens.

I was going with RYP's advice. The Honda CRX is a verging on classic (or classic depending on your point of view) car which is in my opinion at least good looking (well some of them are). And as for budget - a good specimen (low mileage etc) will set you back around 4500 pounds.
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:06 pm

So have you bought it?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dr. V » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:22 pm

nowonmai wrote:So have you bought it?

nope - it turned out to be an automatic with a broken roof - and I want a manual and a working roof (as a bare minimum!). The annoying thing is that all the others with working roofs and low mileage are 100 + miles away which is a bit of a long way for a test drive.
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby lightstalker » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:24 pm

vlindsay wrote:Oh you bunch of heathens.

I was going with RYP's advice.

good luck
The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Postby Aryan » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:37 pm

vlindsay wrote:Oh you bunch of heathens.

I was going with RYP's advice. The Honda CRX is a verging on classic (or classic depending on your point of view) car which is in my opinion at least good looking (well some of them are). And as for budget - a good specimen (low mileage etc) will set you back around 4500 pounds.

Women and cars....

The CRX models considered to be classics is the MkI and II. What you posted was the del sol, basically a crappy car with the CRX badge on it that has nothing to do with the original CRXs. If that's what you're looking to get with that much money, you might as well get an s2000.
The battlefield is the only proper school of the surgeon
-Hippocrates
Aryan
BFCus Regularus

Postby michelle in alaska » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:43 am

..pardon for my interloping...but i rode in one of these the other day.
my girlfriend had just bought one. (and no, i'm not sure that this is the exact same model. so there. i drive a chevy pickup, after all).

anyhoo, i kind of did the right raised eyebrow at her.. she being so sensible and all. and she said: "everyone needs to buy a cute car."

:)))

ms. v.l., i vote for function and fashion.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:46 am

Kurt wrote:
svizzerams wrote:V.
I recommend a Subaru Outback - good clearance for wintery country roads. Gender neutral. Not cutsey. And you can carry a crap load of stuff in it. ABS. AWD. Put a satellite radio in it for listening to BBC...oh wait, you can already listen to BBC ;-)

When I go walking on the Upper West Side near Central Park, I can always tell what the really rich people are driving now. The people who have had money for a while and still have a lot of it never buy cars with the idea like "I have alot of money so I am going to buy a Bentley". Instead they have the attitude of "I have a lot of money and I cannot be bothered." so they buy durable cars and keep them for a long time. And the Subaru Outback is what the filthy rich buy once their early 90's Volvos have given up.

Oh crap, Kurt - now you've gone and blown my cover.......
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Yeahsure » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:21 am

Buy a used Civic, Corolla, Camry or Accord.

Either that or check out rickshaws in your district. I hope your life has become more safe and settled too, by the way.
Good night and good luck - Edward R. Murrow
Yeahsure
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:10 pm

I have been doing some nerd based research and I have determined what kind of car I am going to buy if one comes along:

A VW Phaeton with the W12 engine.

They are incredibly fast (155 but without the limiter they would go up to 186), have AWD and look like slightly large Passats so cocks do not buy them. That means that you get the guts of a Bently (without the turbo) for much less. Some of the prices I have seen have been much, much less.

Dunno what the hell I will do with a VW Phaeton though......
And from thence they went to Beer....(Num 21:16)
English Bespoke Tailor New York City
Internet research and investigation
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:28 pm

Go for an old skool mini in British racing green, deep purple or blood red. Dont forget a Union Jack painted on the roof is a must.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Dr. V » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:50 pm

Aryan wrote:Women and cars....

The CRX models considered to be classics is the MkI and II. What you posted was the del sol, basically a crappy car with the CRX badge on it that has nothing to do with the original CRXs. If that's what you're looking to get with that much money, you might as well get an s2000.

yes but being a women I like the del sol and don't like the Mk1 and 2

rickshaw92 wrote:Go for an old skool mini in British racing green, deep purple or blood red. Dont forget a Union Jack painted on the roof is a must.

I'm not really into Minis

Michelle - over here posers who drive like maniacs and who can't remember were the indicators are the main owners of BMW's - oddly enough they are mainly men of a certain age or ladies who lunch......
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby marie-angelique » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:19 pm

are you going to buy a new car or a used car?

used is a better value, but do you have a good mechanic who can give it a good once over before you purchase?
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Woodsman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:19 pm

vlindsay wrote:
nowonmai wrote:and I want a manual and a working roof (as a bare minimum!). The annoying thing is that all the others with working roofs and low mileage are 100 + miles away which is a bit of a long way for a test drive.

100 miles? I hike that to work barefoot in winter up hill. ;-)

I think those are cute cars and your ass would look peachy in it. :-D
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dr. V » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:55 pm

ummm - as the exhaust fell off my car this evening whilst driving through a small village in the middle of nowhere which has a limited mobile phone signal I've moved this up my list of things to do at the weekend!
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

PreviousNext

Return to The Black Flag Cafe Recommends..