Backpack Conflict Journo

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Backpack Conflict Journo

Postby Mikethehack » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:36 pm

There was a rite of passage in the old days that the most promising journalists would earn their stripes doing the unpleasant beats. If they could cope with that, then they were sent next door and that usually meant Northern Ireland for most British journalists and the UK (and by extension NI) for the Americans, French, Germans etc.

They would go to London and have to go to mad old Belfast from time to time where they would be given a goood scaring and a few slaps to help them understand what complex political situations amounted to. After that it was usually the Middle East, Russia or Africa for the very thick skinned and New Delhi, Bangkok and Hong Kong for those who weren't quite as mad, but still had a lot of talent. Later on it involved a stint in the US (DC usually) before returning to a top slot at home. People worked their way up the chain.

Nowadays, I find myself in DPs beside people who are away from home for the first time. They are known as a liability and they scare us almost as much as the nuts with guns do. I remember a time when probably not one person in the whole bunch of us had a degree in journalism. Nowadays it seems that the place is full of people who only have degrees in journalism. Why do I find myself in DPs with people whose biggest concern is where the local gym is, their macrobiotic diet and where the best cosmetic shops are, women and men?

Why do I find myself in DPs with people whose game plan for life is to end up in Hollywood and become really, really famous? Why are they more concerned with situations that will make them look good, but have less of an interest in the story and the people on the ground?
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:56 am

Mikethehack wrote:There was a rite of passage in the old days that the most promising journalists would earn their stripes doing the unpleasant beats. If they could cope with that, then they were sent next door and that usually meant Northern Ireland for most British journalists and the UK (and by extension NI) for the Americans, French, Germans etc.

They would go to London and have to go to mad old Belfast from time to time where they would be given a goood scaring and a few slaps to help them understand what complex political situations amounted to. After that it was usually the Middle East, Russia or Africa for the very thick skinned and New Delhi, Bangkok and Hong Kong for those who weren't quite as mad, but still had a lot of talent. Later on it involved a stint in the US (DC usually) before returning to a top slot at home. People worked their way up the chain.

Nowadays, I find myself in DPs beside people who are away from home for the first time. They are known as a liability and they scare us almost as much as the nuts with guns do. I remember a time when probably not one person in the whole bunch of us had a degree in journalism. Nowadays it seems that the place is full of people who only have degrees in journalism. Why do I find myself in DPs with people whose biggest concern is where the local gym is, their macrobiotic diet and where the best cosmetic shops are, women and men?

Why do I find myself in DPs with people whose game plan for life is to end up in Hollywood and become really, really famous? Why are they more concerned with situations that will make them look good, but have less of an interest in the story and the people on the ground?

Can you get me a job as a war jurno? Im at the library right now and can steal a pen and paper for writin stuff down.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby kilroy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:13 pm

Mikethehack wrote:Nowadays, I find myself in DPs beside people who are away from home for the first time. They are known as a liability and they scare us almost as much as the nuts with guns do. I remember a time when probably not one person in the whole bunch of us had a degree in journalism. Nowadays it seems that the place is full of people who only have degrees in journalism. Why do I find myself in DPs with people whose biggest concern is where the local gym is, their macrobiotic diet and where the best cosmetic shops are, women and men?

could it be because before people were there because they wanted people to know about specific situations/places/events and now being a journalist seems to be a means to its own end?
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Viking » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:23 am

Basically you have no chance of landing the job you want at home without experience. War seems to be covered by the folks who's paid their dues and the rest of us poor sodds trying to make it.

Light war? Dude come on. Conflicts are everywhere but a westener with a camera should not just daft about. It's no shit dangerous and you've got no one to help you and no one to trust.

Friendly suggestion. Loose the pic. Don't wanna come into a warzone gung-ho. You'll end up kidnapped or worse.

Someone told you to start in Mexico? DAMN I'd rather be in Afghanistan.

Why don't you give it a rest with the conflicts at home? Sorry missed where you were from but there's no need to go to war fresh out of school.
Viking

Postby Shujaa » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:00 am

I've been planning on pulling off something along the lines of this, but haven't gotten out of school (High School) yet.
I have a fascination with Sub-saharan Africa and wanted to travel there to pop in on the conflicts (If half the general public remembers where Africa is).

Would anyone suggest going to uni for something on Journalism before I might head out or focus on getting out there?
Made a new video on world conflicts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fXrabo8xc0
Please comment and let me know what you, think, no matter how cruel or horrible.
Shujaa

Postby Caliban » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:48 am

rickshaw92 wrote:
Where is a nice, soft war to cover?

Theres a few housing estates in London. We can do up the rickshaw with some kevlar plating and be on our way!

We've got a pretty good shooting war going on in Huyton, Merseyside. Thats quite soft. As in stupid - last couple of occasions they seem to forget to pull the pins out of hand grenades before they throw them through someones living room windows. You think I'm joking ? .....
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby media » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:56 am

Part of reporting and writing is relating to your subject. Without that ability you might as well write it from home. Operate on the basis that no one ever wants to read anything you write and you have to entice them. You’re the witch, the readers are Hansel and Gretel. Without the background to relate you'll never entice others to want to learn about it.

Walking into a conflict zone aint for the faint of heart, I don't know you so no judgements but keep in mind that even experienced warriors get scared, shit their pants, and on occasion RUN the other direction!

Learning how a conflict zone works is crucial. You have to trust people you wouldn't normally and sometimes distrust ones you should. Learning the local language and religion, along with their customs are key to gaining trust from others.

Keep in mind that if they are killing each other they obviously disagree on something. Make sure you are objectionable and that you have a value to them, if not what is your life worth? They spill blood daily, what's another kid who got in their way? Your ability to tell the world their side gives you value and you will also get the hard sell, like a guy trying to sell you a 85 Chrysler. They will tell you that you don't need the other side only theirs etc. They may even get pissed that you are seeking another side other than theirs.

Lots of things to worry about. Cover local crime and corruption in Australia for a few years develop style, skills, and intuition these will take you to the next step.
Send Lawyers Guns and Money...
media
BFCus Regularus

Postby SRR » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:36 am

Shujaa wrote:Would anyone suggest going to uni for something on Journalism before I might head out or focus on getting out there?

Yes. You can do both. Get an engineering/health/business degree at uni and do your journo stuff in the summer. Then it'll all work out fine.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby coldharvest » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:09 am

SRR wrote:
Shujaa wrote:Would anyone suggest going to uni for something on Journalism before I might head out or focus on getting out there?

Yes. You can do both. Get an engineering/health/business degree at uni and do your journo stuff in the summer. Then it'll all work out fine.

Good advice from all.
If you groove on what you do then you'll never be too sad.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Shujaa » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:01 am

My problem is that I'm mind-bogglingly stupid at mathematics, business etc.

I'm only reasonable at writing and history. I don't think I'd have it in me to get down and take out a degree in the afforementioned subjects.

I'd like to head out to Sub-saharan Africa to do some freelancing or get a job that would allow me to freelance. Just not sure what to do, as I don't know much on the specific subject of Journalism, apart from that you need to make contacts in embassies etc. And to sit around in loads of ex-pat bars hoping for the best. Hell, I've even considered joining the Australian Army for a Journalism scholarship thingy but don't think I'd survive long in the shitiness that is the Aussie Army.
Made a new video on world conflicts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fXrabo8xc0
Please comment and let me know what you, think, no matter how cruel or horrible.
Shujaa

Postby vagabond » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:37 am

My problem is that I'm mind-bogglingly stupid at mathematics, business etc.

Business isn't just math - there are softer areas that are more attuned to the creative/non-math types (marketing as a version of psychology, etc). Part of being a journo in the future will be the ability to sell yourself and managing your cash so some of those courses could come in useful.

I'm only reasonable at writing and history. I don't think I'd have it in me to get down and take out a degree in the afforementioned subjects.

aforementioned. And you shouldn't aim to be reasonable but the best. If you're interested in Africa, or any area for that matter, read as widely as you can. I saw your list in the other thread and if you can actually make headway, enjoy, and absorb all those books then you might do ok. Use university to seek out people who know way more than you and get recommendations. There's no single thread of history for one place so having a broad knowledge helps put things into context. You'll need a unique angle on a topic to make it sell.

I'd like to head out to Sub-saharan Africa to do some freelancing or get a job that would allow me to freelance. Just not sure what to do, as I don't know much on the specific subject of Journalism, apart from that you need to make contacts in embassies etc. And to sit around in loads of ex-pat bars hoping for the best.

Expat bars are typically overpriced and lame. The only contact you may have with your embassy is when you get in trouble. There may be people in the know there, but typically assume most embassy staff are cut off from people at large (economically, socially, etc). Same for UN, though you could have some interesting times reporting on their peacekeeper abuses in Congo.

Hell, I've even considered joining the Australian Army for a Journalism scholarship thingy but don't think I'd survive long in the shitiness that is the Aussie Army.

Maybe they would be good training. From my understanding, a lot of army life (no matter whose) is sitting around, waiting, being bored, dealing with petty frustrations. That's pretty much how difficult "adventurous" travel is.

Please search for all the other similar threads and read those as MtH, ls, media, and others have given similar, better advice.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:35 am

Sadly they don't make soft wars for struggling talent. They are already chock a block with the Anderson Coopers, Lara Logans and Amanpours of the world. Son you want a HARD war. A hiking war where you must loose at least 30 lbs and your blood platelets.

You are expected to hike overland into forgotten wars, be beaten, ass-raped and abandoned by your guide, robbed by the local warlords and then after 6 months of constant dysentry, wobbly teeth, bowel evacuating close calls with the rebels you MIGHT sell your piece for $125 bucks to the Guardian.

But the experience will build a patina of cynicism and jaundiced view of the world. Your lack of fear and clinical quality PTSD (and fucked up home life) will allow you to cover more shit wars for a pack of cigarettes and the chance of more NGO sex. After you rack up a list of "only"s and your CV can generate a nod of approval on a hardened desk editor you will not be ready. Only then can will be you considered good enought to contribute to their free blog.

Seriously. Find your passion and fuck it till it cries for mercy.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby vagabond » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:46 pm

Find your passion and fuck it till it cries for mercy.

Saving that one for next time I have to give an inspirational speech
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:18 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:Can you get me a job as a war jurno? Im at the library right now and can steal a pen and paper for writin stuff down.

Man that is some funny shit!
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:46 pm

Hell, I've even considered joining the Australian Army for a Journalism scholarship thingy but don't think I'd survive long in the shitiness that is the Aussie Army.

I think you're right.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe