ARMENIA ADVICE

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

ARMENIA ADVICE

Postby herodotus » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:18 pm

I'm off to Armenia this week, not a country that appears very often in the BFC. If my girlfriend and I survive the 2.5 hour flight on a aging rust-bucket from Beirut to Yerevan, it should be an interesting 10-day trip. Does anyone have any recommendations on places to go and things to see?

I don't want to spend any more time in Yerevan than necessary, as like other former Soviet-bloc cities it has very little in the way of budget accommodation (defined by me as anything $50 or less per night).

I would like to go to Karabagh, but the gf probably isn't likely that interested and a Kbagh stamp in my passport will make it impossible for me to visit a friend of mine stationed in Baku.

Armenia is the size of Belgium, so should we go south or north? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
herodotus
BFCus Regularus

Re: ARMENIA ADVICE

Postby Q » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:34 pm

herodotus wrote:
I would like to go to Karabagh, but the gf probably isn't likely that interested and a Kbagh stamp in my passport will make it impossible for me to visit a friend of mine stationed in Baku.

Was going to suggest you do this, as it's a kickass place and the people are nice as hell. Just ask them to stamp a sheet of paper instead of your passport, ala how Americans visit Cuba.

They could use the tourism/support.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby Kurt » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Sounds like a great trip.

Is one of you Armenian? Lebs and Armenians are often the first sign of impending civilisation in the backwaters of the world or at least some decent groceries and fried chicken.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby lightstalker » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:30 pm

Good opportunity to buy some Abkhazian wine
The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Return to Black Flag Cafe