dual sport motorcycles

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: dual sport motorcycles

Postby marie-angelique » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:53 pm

congrats on the new ride :)
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:04 pm

Damnit, now I want one. Maybe I can trade in my FZ6.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:15 pm

i am looking for a small used one, it ain't easy....
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:51 pm

I only saw four on eBay.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:39 pm

marie-angelique wrote:i am looking for a small used one, it ain't easy....

There's still the other one left, M-A with 84 miles on it!!!

Of course, while I was looking at the TW200 I happened to clamber onto the Yamaha XT250 right next to it - also a nice seat height at 31.9" with a little more travel in the suspension and 50cc's more power. I liked it alot too...but about twice as much as the TW200 once all the excise tax and liscensing is tacked on. The TW200 is just about perfect at this point.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby marie-angelique » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:19 pm

yah, but i am looking for an already beat up one in the 1500 buck price range that i won't be afraid to toss around.

friend of mine in oregon is selling one, does anyone know if it needs anything to be legal in california?

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:13 pm

marie-angelique wrote:friend of mine in oregon is selling one, does anyone know if it needs anything to be legal in california?

Dress it up in panties and you'll be good to go.
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby mb » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:39 am

so long as it has > 7500 miles you'll be fine in CA. if it's <7500 it'll have to have CA emissions, which is rare on motorcycles.
mb
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:11 pm

cool! by the time i ride it back here it'll have just reached 7500 miles :)

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby mb » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:33 pm

apparently the DMV may care about the bill of sale too--so have it say something over 7500 when you buy it and hope you don't get pulled over and have the bill of sale inspected too closely 'til you pass that point.
mb
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:49 pm

bueno, it's a 225 so i prolly won't get pulled over for speeding :) was planning a slow toodle back on highway 1. got a camping suggestion near the halfway point?

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby mb » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:41 pm

i don't know what half way is, but there must be something nice along the lost coast or in the redwoods nearby:
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/arcata/k ... round.html
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=421 -- I think I read this was nice somewhere?
or maybe http://www.norcalhostels.org/redwoods/

apparently some nice dirt roads in the king range area, and you can also take the usal road from near shelter cove to where hwy 1 hits the coast for the first time--i've never been on that stretch, apparently it's sometimes easy and sometimes treacharous. but you'll also miss one of the most spectactular parts of 1, the stretch from leggett to the coast.

there's tons of nice roads up there... but i have no idea where to go at this time of year--the coast is the same year round, but i don't know if it's warm inland now or cold. if it were spring, i know bald hill road would be nice
ImageImage
mb
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:18 am

Wow, thanks! loads of stuff to look at :)

i would love to camp on the lost coast, but i have to fly up and will get a late start riding down on saturday so i will prolly have to camp north of there....

hope to at least get some riding in through there somehow :)

is that your street bike on a dirt road? love it!

i did an off road rally and there was this dude tearing it all up on an overloaded triumph speed triple :)

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby svizzerams » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:08 am

Cool M-A!!!! And muchas congrats on the new ride!!! And intrepid you to ride a 225 from Oregon back to Oakland!!!

You should head up this way sometime and we can go combing the woods hereabouts!!! I took the Yammie out onto some twisty country roads and a bit of dirt today.

Here's a link to my Spot Adventure: http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=179284 (I'm trying to learn how to use this critter reliably) - it didn't track very well - so you see my route sort of how a very efficient crow flies...actual distance was about 22 miles total. Sun was getting a bit low and my teeth were starting to chatter a bit by the time I got home inspite of three layers of gear. But this little bike is so much darn fun. We have a ton of twisty little paved country roads through some pretty scenic valleys, vistas of the lake and North Cascades and tons of forest roads...the last few miles to the top of Echo Ridge were dirt and this bike was a joy to ride even with the washboards!

You can see a bit of Lake Chelan off in the distance...sadly the sun was almost directly in the lens to do the shot justice so I settled for some lame attempts of artsy with shadows...

Tomorrow I'm going to take it down the gorge road and see if I can take some decent fotos...this goes from Chelan down to the Columbia River.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby mb » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:52 am

Cool, lots of dirt roads in eastern WA... much closer to the population centers (even Seattle) than anything is to, say, Oakland.

M-A : Howland Hill road ('bypasses' Crescent City) is a nice road through very deep redwoods (not the dinky things you find on say Pinehurst). Apparently there's a campground there too. Though I'd still probably go for the hostel since I like real beds.
http://www.nps.gov/archive/redw/scenic_drives.html -- and another one which sticks closer to 101.

Yeah, that's my bike near bald hill. I tend to go rather slow on dirt roads since the SV650 has neither dirtbike suspension nor dirt tires, and I'm not a dirt rider. But I have been on most of the dirt roads in the bay area (read: uh... mt madonna?) I'm guessing you plan to take longer trips out of Oakland?
mb
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe