Rare Earth Magnets

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Rare Earth Magnets

Postby Kurt » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:13 pm

Great fun. To get them you will need:

1. Broken or useless hard drive
2. T8 torx head screwdriver.
3. Strong flathead screwdriver.
4. boxcutter with disposable blades (or a knife that you don't care if it gets dull)

Take the blade and cut around the edge of the hard drive and remove all the warrenty voiding coverings, then unscrew the screws with the torx screwdriver and remove the circuit board and then the top part of the drive case. Use the top part of the drive case to put your parts in.

Then take the flathead screw driver and if you look where the drive platter is there is a spindle there that will take a flathead screwdriver. unscrew this. Move the arm that writes to the drive and slide out the motor and the platters. The platters are shiney, reflective and cool looking. Use them as a wall decoration.

Where the drive arm is there is a sort of crescent shaped piece of metal that seems fused on. It is not fused it is attached by a powerful rare earth magnet, use the flathead screw driver to pry it off. Then the other half of the crescent will contain housing that has the actual magnet in them. I left the rest of the housing on for easy handling.

These things are quite powerful, as in pinch your fingers between it and whatever metal is nearby powerful. With two magnets one could easily destroy their flesh but I aim to use mine to make a roller to pick up metal shavings when I am working with my dremel and to remove those painful metal splinters from my flesh...you know the kind that hurt like hell that you can feel but cannot see? I am sure these things would just rip them from my body.

Plus on a refrigerator it can hold two magazines onto the fridge. I even held a large motherboard manual on there.

Oh, I am certain this would destroy any electronic component that it touched.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: Rare Earth Magnets

Postby Dr. V » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:40 pm

Kurt wrote:Great fun. To get them you will need:

1. Broken or useless hard drive
2. T8 torx head screwdriver.
3. Strong flathead screwdriver.
4. boxcutter with disposable blades (or a knife that you don't care if it gets dull)

Take the blade and cut around the edge of the hard drive and remove all the warrenty voiding coverings, then unscrew the screws with the torx screwdriver and remove the circuit board and then the top part of the drive case. Use the top part of the drive case to put your parts in.

Then take the flathead screw driver and if you look where the drive platter is there is a spindle there that will take a flathead screwdriver. unscrew this. Move the arm that writes to the drive and slide out the motor and the platters. The platters are shiney, reflective and cool looking. Use them as a wall decoration.

Where the drive arm is there is a sort of crescent shaped piece of metal that seems fused on. It is not fused it is attached by a powerful rare earth magnet, use the flathead screw driver to pry it off. Then the other half of the crescent will contain housing that has the actual magnet in them. I left the rest of the housing on for easy handling.

These things are quite powerful, as in pinch your fingers between it and whatever metal is nearby powerful. With two magnets one could easily destroy their flesh but I am sure I aim to use mine to make a roller to pick up metal shavings when I am working with my dremel and to remove those painful metal splinters from my flesh...you know the kind that hurt like hell that you can feel but cannot see? these things would just rip them from my body.

Plus on a refrigerator it can hold two magazines onto the fridge. I even held a large motherboard manual on there.

Oh, I am certain this would destroy any electronic component that it touched.

Worrying - very worrying

Does your girlfriend know this is your definition of great fun ..................bet its not hers!
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby Kurt » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:58 pm

I have to fiddle with something since she is not around.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Caliban » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:27 am

Kurt wrote:I have to fiddle with something since she is not around.

......"......."..........................!...................er...................." ........... "..........?
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Woodsman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:33 pm

I have several of these in a bag in my basement. I purchased them to sew inside fabric to attach it to my motorcycle fuel tank (it's made of steel). I did not wind up using them. Yes, these magnets are strong.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:46 pm

Get'm while their good as I've read that China is trying to limit the exports of rare metals. Those damned hippies and their hybrids are eating them up it seems.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:28 am

vagabond wrote:Get'm while their good as I've read that China is trying to limit the exports of rare metals. Those damned hippies and their hybrids are eating them up it seems.

My life savings is on my refrigerator now.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Woodsman » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:21 pm

RARE EARTH MAGNETS FOR SALE!

lol!
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby LechoZX » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:01 pm

vagabond wrote:Get'm while their good as I've read that China is trying to limit the exports of rare metals. Those damned hippies and their hybrids are eating them up it seems.

Nickel would also be a good investment in this case as sll those hybrids use NiMH batteries. It is also very hard and toxic to smelt.
Blah person
LechoZX
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe