Asus Eee 1005HA-P ultraportable

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Asus Eee 1005HA-P ultraportable

Postby Woodsman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:04 am

Man this little 10.1" computer rocks. I just love it. Good things come in small packages, but typically not this many things. The #1 thing I like best about it is that it's not running Vista, so all my obsolete, yet perfectly functional programs work just fine without having to resort to using VMWARE. LOL!

This is not a computer that would work well being thrashed (Toughbook it's not). The keyboard is super cool, the touchpad is the best I've ever used on any laptop, and the screen and settings are damn fine. There are little niches that I am having to get used to, but overall it rocks.

If anyone could use an ultraportable with 1.66ghz atom n280/2gigs mem/160hdd/external DVD R/W superdrive, and 10.5 hours of friggin' battery life, hell...this might make a good choice - it's at the top of the netbook market right now, but who knows what other models will come out next quarter?

While I'm not planning on replacing this one for a while, I can't wait to see whats next!
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Re: Asus Eee 1005HA-P ultraportable

Postby Kurt » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:32 am

I like my low end Asus. It's a dream to lug around airports.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby neelix » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:25 am

So, you guys carry computers around with you?
So long and thanks for all the fish
D Adams
neelix

Postby Mikethehack » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:24 am

neelix wrote:So, you guys carry computers around with you?

Nerds with pseudo violin cases.
Beware!
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby redharen » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:04 pm

I have the ASUS 901 or whatever it's called. It runs Linux.

I like it, but I like it in the way that I liked driving my 1966 Volkswagen.
redharen
small ax

Postby Woodsman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:33 pm

redharen wrote:I have the ASUS 901 or whatever it's called. It runs Linux.

Well, I will have a Ferrari for sale (soon) if you want something faster:

Acer X3200 Triple core 2.1 mhz Phenom processor PC, 4mb mem, 320 internal hdd, 19" monitor, wifi card, Vista 64 bit etc.

I will no longer have interest in it soon. It's plenty computer, but I'm really all about portability - and it's not.

I've got to transfer files from it and clean the drive, then it will be for sale...

This little computer isn't gonna win any benchmark tests, but it should be adequate for anything I can come up with...though I haven't really run anything serious on it (I'm still installing programs and need to transfer a bunch of data from the other computers). Running the GIS program and imagery stuff will really show what this is capable of, but I have no doubt it will work even with moderately heavy tasks.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:34 pm

I will carry a sewing machine and tampons around with me if they are useful in getting the job done. :-)
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby redharen » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:04 pm

Woodsman wrote:
redharen wrote:I have the ASUS 901 or whatever it's called. It runs Linux.

Well, I will have a Ferrari for sale (soon) if you want something faster:

Acer X3200 Triple core 2.1 mhz Phenom processor PC, 4mb mem, 320 internal hdd, 19" monitor, wifi card, Vista 64 bit etc.

The problem for me isn't so much that it's not fast enough -- I mean, if you're going to buy a netbook, you shouldn't have any illusions about how fast it'll be or what you're going to use it for -- nah, what bothers me is that I listened to all my friends who talked for years about how great Linux is and how Windows is so gitarded and this way you don't have to pay that idiot Bill Gates a dime while not having to worry about viruses, etc., etc., etc. What they failed to mention is that bizarre things go wrong all the time and the only way to fix it is to actually get into the guts of the programming code, which is a bit problematic for a layman like myself. Mostly it entails Googling for a solution, finding what appears to be said solution, usually in some dubious forum, posted by someone who may or may not know what he is doing, and cutting and pasting code into my computer and hoping it doesn't explode.

Kind of like how I once had to fix my 1966 VW somewhere in Missouri with a pair of socks and a roll of duct tape.
redharen
small ax

Postby coldharvest » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:26 pm

Woodsman wrote:

I will carry a sewing machine and tampons around with me if they are useful in getting the job done. :-)

Absolutely
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Kurt » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:30 pm

Computers keep my housed, clothed, put food on my table, put cat food in the cat's bowl, pay for a housecleaner, buy my plane tickets, pay for good hotels, take my girlfriend to those overpriced places that have the option of bathing you in mud and automate the routing and scheduling of 1/3 of the New York City's subway system.

So yah, I travel with them. Is that weird or something?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby neelix » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:42 pm

Ok Ok. Agreed. Mission oriented is where its at. I certainly would not have encountered you fine fellows without my box. Just a little bit of luddite thinking on my part digital immigrant that I am.
So long and thanks for all the fish
D Adams
neelix

Postby redharen » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:12 pm

Thing about that little ASUS is it weighs two pounds, has 7 hours of battery life, and is so small people don't even think it's a computer most of the time.

The drawback is that every time a girl sees it, she says, "That's so cute!" If you get one you need to put some kind of disgusting/offensive sticker on it.
redharen
small ax

Postby svizzerams » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:03 am

redharen wrote:Thing about that little ASUS is it weighs two pounds, has 7 hours of battery life, and is so small people don't even think it's a computer most of the time.

The drawback is that every time a girl sees it, she says, "That's so cute!" If you get one you need to put some kind of disgusting/offensive sticker on it.

LOL

I have the Acer Aspire One in a ruby red color. It's Adorable !!!! 10.5" screen + 6 cell battery with about 7.5 hours of battery life. It is a dream to travel with, but like Woodsman pointed out it isn't a tough book. Nonetheless I'd be tempted to toss it in my bike panniers with an appropriate case and I'm sure it would survive normal riding conditions.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Woodsman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:39 am

I should have mentioned that I am running XP on this. XP I can live with...Vista, not so much.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby redharen » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:29 am

Mine isn't tough either, but the weird thing is that I took it overseas with me and it was full of small red ants when I came home. Seriously, I killed like 40 of them as they crawled out of the inside of it one afternoon while I was working on some stuff. I killed more of them later -- it lasted about a week. The place where I was staying in the desert had ants but I have no idea why so many of them hid out inside the computer. I'm worried that they found something in there they mistook as food and started eating it.
redharen
small ax

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe