Horse Meat in Vancouver BC

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Horse Meat in Vancouver BC

Postby Leena » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:58 am

A friend of mine is really eager to try horse meat. I don't have a problem with buying it and cooking it myself, but my position is such that illegal importation into the US is not a desireable option.

I have heard there are still a few restaurants in the Vancouver area that serve it, but I'm not able to find much mention of any, with the exception of Basashi or Tartar type dishes. He's not really into the "raw" aspect, so I was hoping to find a restaurant serving a horse steak or something similar not too far from home.

Does anyone here have any (fairly recent) experience with restaurants serving horse in the area?

Thanks in advance!
Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end. --Edward Whymper
Leena

Re: Horse Meat in Vancouver BC

Postby coldharvest » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:01 am

What a weird-ass and interesting question.
SRR may know, try pming him.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby SRR » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:17 pm

I used that super-obscure internet tool called Wikipedia, and another very high-end proprietary piece of software called Google, and they say to try Granville Island as well as a coupla gourmet butcher shops around town.

Assuming you're in vancouver, it would make sense to call around. Assuming you want someone to cook it for you, I can't recall any place offhand that had horse steak on the menu. Even in Paris you don't normally see it. Just go buy some steaks and a hibachi and have a Horse-cook-out down on the West end to freak out all the yuppies. That sounds like a fine vacation.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby thewalrus » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:49 pm

There is a butcher next to the curling rink at the cloverdale fairgrounds on 176th street in Surrey that sells horse meat. It's also adjacent to the horse racing track (cough, cough). I don't remember the name of the business but you could probably ask your friend to drop by there any ask which restaurants they supply.

It's at 176th and 60th avenue just a bit north of 60th, on the east side of 176... Look for the surrey historical museum.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 54932&z=15
thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Postby Leena » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:19 pm

Thanks guys, I've actually never been to Vancouver, it's about 6-7 hours from where I'm at. I read about Granville Island, but haven't been able to locate any specifics other than a couple of butcher shops. I was told a few restaurants serve it, but they don't typically advertise due to the taboo nature. I made a few phone calls, but with no luck thus far.

Since my schedule's pretty tight the next few months, I was hoping to have a destination in mind before I got to town as I'd probably only be able to stay the night.

All-in-all, I'm leaning toward the hibachi idea. Nothing like an afternoon barbeque.
Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end. --Edward Whymper
Leena

Postby Caliban » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:45 am

thewalrus wrote:It's also adjacent to the horse racing track (cough, cough). I don't remember the name of the business

"Last past the post" ?
"Cut and run" ?
"Horse douvres"?
"Race Meating" ?
"Don't have a cow" ?
"Stable Diet" ?
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Dabbi » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:37 am

I don't think no proper butcher shop would sell meat from race horses, but it is great meat for a great price since almost no one wants to eat it.

Have a go at whale steak since you are going down that alley.
Dabbi
BFCus Regularus

Postby CaF_Phantom » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:01 pm

Sliced Horse meat is something i often see in ''middle class'' grocery store here in Québec.
CaF_Phantom

Postby Fansy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:08 am

just find some central asians living around you, those dirty chink terrorists eat it all the time and prolly know where to get it. its pretty good too.
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

Postby felspar » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:38 am

Penguin meats in white rock would be my first place to try, they have connections for everything.
felspar

Postby nowonmai » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:43 pm

Maybe they don't stick it in the front window in Paris but Steak de Cheval is as ubiquitous as Andouillette and just as gorgeous. My first two meals in frog land are always Andouillette for lunch (with a Bitburger - Bitte ein bit!) followed by horse steak for dinner. I can keep up that regime for about a week before I detox with a day or two of Moules Frites.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby thewalrus » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:22 am

felspar wrote:Penguin meats in white rock would be my first place to try, they have connections for everything.

That's a store sadly lacking in antarctic waterfowl fillets. I do think they should set up some big Linux posters in the front window...
thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Postby felspar » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:55 am

thewalrus wrote: That's a store sadly lacking in antarctic waterfowl fillets. I do think they should set up some big Linux posters in the front window...

I'll be sure to mention that next time I'm in.
felspar

Postby herodotus » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:56 pm

There are plenty of places on Main and East Hastings that sell horsemeat. Just about any Chinese butcher shop should have some on hand.
herodotus
BFCus Regularus

Postby thewalrus » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:18 am

Right, 'cause Hastings and Main is always where I want to purchase top quality, hygienic meat products....

yecccccccch..

Now go much farther east on Hastings, to Burnaby, and you're OK.
thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe