Kenya Recommened- Kisumu

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Kenya Recommened- Kisumu

Postby cochiseintheeast » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:26 am

Anyone traveling to Kenya in the near future, I recommend if you have the time on your agenda to make the trip to Kisumu. With the recent election of Obama, a few tourists have made the trek to see his gramdma's village. I have nt because I dont care about any of that.

What I love about the Kisumu area is this- the views at sunset on Lake Victoria, the cheap beer and the great tilapia that come out of the lake.

1. Lake Victoria. I cant explain it. It is simply the most beautiful lake I have ever seen and the sunset is spectacular. I have also seen the Lake from the Ugandan side and would say it is equally impressive.

2. Cheap Beer. This is more Kenyan, than Kisumuian, but nonetheless it is still worth mentioning.

3. Tilapia. Fried and whole. The Luo people eat every damn bit with the exception of most of the bones (if its soft enough eat it they tell me) and the eyes. You can get a whole small fish for 250 KS ($3.50) that is enough to fill one person up. The Luo have different ways of serving it, but it most often comes with a stew on top that includes a nice cabbage.

For those who live in Nairobi or are traveling through on holiday, it is an interesting place.
cochiseintheeast
BFCus Regularus

Re: Kenya Recommened- Kisumu

Postby ejw » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:34 am

The sun setting in to Lake Victoria is very nice. Recommend the Yacht Club (membership not required on Wednesdays) and Kiboko Bay for dinner and the show. Unfortunately, crime has been up lately, and you have to make a decision if you want to be out after dark, especially in places where the more affluent are known to frequent. Robberies and even kidnappings are becoming more common.

Green Garden and Simba Club are also good restaurants, but no lake view.

Gads, I'm so sick of Tusker/Pilsner/White Cap... corn starch should not be a main ingredient in beer. And speaking of tilapia, why can't I get a fish taco in this place?
Saint Mother Maria watch over us please
As we wander around in this dangerous world

Lyle Lovett
ejw

Return to Black Flag Cafe