Xenophon's Anabasis

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Xenophon's Anabasis

Postby coldharvest » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:26 pm

I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Re: Xenophon's Anabasis

Postby Woodsman » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:30 pm

I like your link - and It's almost as long as one of RYP's cut and paste posts...

Still, never hurts to learn something so I bookmarked it for later.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:49 pm

The title of this thread sounds like a really bad prog-rock band.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby vagabond » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:30 pm

U of Adelaide is also a good (and more legibly-designed) resource for reading some of the oldies:

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/meta/authors.html
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby redharen » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:56 pm

I am studying the Bayân-i Manâzil-i Safar-i Iraqayn-i Sultan Süleyman Khan by Matrakci Nasuh. Dunno if you know about him, Cold; if not, here's a link:

http://muslimheritage.com/topics/defaul ... icleID=853

Dude was pretty amazing and the trip he took with the Sultan takes a route similar to that of Xenophon. Guess I have to read the Anabasis now.
redharen
small ax

Postby michelle in alaska » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:04 am

xenophon.

the supreme horseman.

he's the first person you learn about when studying horsemanship.
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:28 am

michelle in alaska wrote:xenophon.

the supreme horseman.

he's the first person you learn about when studying horsemanship.

cobble your stable
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby flipflop » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:07 pm

Xenophon based his book on the seminal 70s gang flick "The Warriors"

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby coldharvest » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:22 pm

flipflop wrote:Xenophon based his book on the seminal 70s gang flick "The Warriors"

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw9yEuwohkk
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby flipflop » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:15 pm

Dig it and they will come

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:36 pm

The first speaker was Antileon of Thurii. He rose and said: "For my part, sirs, I am weary by this time of getting kit together and packing up for a start, of walking and running and carrying heavy arms, and of tramping along in line, or mounting guard, and doing battle. The sole desire I now have is to cease from all these pains, and for the future, since here we have the sea before us, to sail on and on, 'stretched out in sleep,' like Odysseus, and so to find myself in Hellas." When they heard these remarks, the soldiers showed their approval with loud cries of "well said," and then another spoke to the same effect, and then another, and indeed all present. Then Cheirisophus got up and said: "I have a friend, sirs, who, as good hap will have it, is now high admiral, Anaxibius. If you like to send me to him, I think I can safely promise to return with some men-of-war and other vessels which will carry us. All you have to do, if you are really minded to go home by sea, is to wait here till I come. I will be back ere long." The soldiers were delighted at these words, and voted that Cheirisophus should set sail on his mission without delay.

Or
Antileon said, "Fuck this shit, can't we get a shagging boat?" so Cheirisophus says, "Yeah, I know a bloke with a boat." so Antileon says, "Well go and get it you twat." So the blokes got out their doss bags, sent a bloke to the offie for some cans and one said "Fuck me, the boss may be a bit of a cock but he's not all bad."
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby OneLungMcClung » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:56 pm

nowonmai wrote:
The first speaker was Antileon of Thurii. He rose and said: "For my part, sirs, I am weary by this time of getting kit together and packing up for a start, of walking and running and carrying heavy arms, and of tramping along in line, or mounting guard, and doing battle. The sole desire I now have is to cease from all these pains, and for the future, since here we have the sea before us, to sail on and on, 'stretched out in sleep,' like Odysseus, and so to find myself in Hellas." When they heard these remarks, the soldiers showed their approval with loud cries of "well said," and then another spoke to the same effect, and then another, and indeed all present. Then Cheirisophus got up and said: "I have a friend, sirs, who, as good hap will have it, is now high admiral, Anaxibius. If you like to send me to him, I think I can safely promise to return with some men-of-war and other vessels which will carry us. All you have to do, if you are really minded to go home by sea, is to wait here till I come. I will be back ere long." The soldiers were delighted at these words, and voted that Cheirisophus should set sail on his mission without delay.

Or
Antileon said, "Fuck this shit, can't we get a shagging boat?" so Cheirisophus says, "Yeah, I know a bloke with a boat." so Antileon says, "Well go and get it you twat." So the blokes got out their doss bags, sent a bloke to the offie for some cans and one said "Fuck me, the boss may be a bit of a cock but he's not all bad."

Instead of a BabelFish application we need a NowhammyFish app for translating old war tales.

You rock dude LMAO
Money Talks...
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Postby redharen » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:48 pm

I finally read this. It was awesome.
redharen
small ax

Postby flipflop » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:55 pm

One of my favourite reads of all time squire

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Mikethehack » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:26 pm

I thought his stuff in Police Academy was his best.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe