Going to Thailand in Dec, looking for info/tips

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Going to Thailand in Dec, looking for info/tips

Postby matt5058 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:47 am

I am heading to Thailand for vacation from late December to early January. I've never been to Thailand before but I've heard a lot of good things from friends and acquaintances who've been. I'm meeting my girlfriend there and we're trying to come up with some at least tentative plans for our trip. We're both on a budget and would like for the trip to be relaxing and fun with the least amount of stress (and time spent traveling) as possible. I'd like to spend a lot of time on beaches, maybe an island that is affordable, has a lot to do, some nice beaches, and isn't too packed with tourists. I'm looking for nice, affordable hotels/hostels/bungalows on the beach or really close by. I'd prefer to spend only a little time in Bangkok.

Any tips/advice/input on past experiences, etc. or some specific websites/links with good information on places to stay and things to do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)
matt5058
BFCus Regularus

Re: Going to Thailand in Dec, looking for info/tips

Postby mb » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:47 am

i seem to remember this site is reasonable if you're looking for beaches:
http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.com/

save time travelling by flying--a few islands have airports, or ko phi phi is close to phuket. if you choose to go by land, avoid 'tourist' buses if possible (may be a bit more of a pain, esp. to figure out the schedule, but get yourself to the appropriate terminal and buy the ticket there.)

more 'culture' in the north, away from the beach. there's plenty of info available on that everywhere.
mb
BFCus Regularus

Postby Royal » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:41 am

matt5058 wrote: I'm meeting my girlfriend there

Mistake......
Just saying. Your call.

Have a good time.
Image We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby Ultra Swain » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:25 pm

Royal wrote:
matt5058 wrote: I'm meeting my girlfriend there

Mistake......
Just saying. Your call.

Have a good time.

If you are going to the beaches why bring more sand?

Koh Tao, Rai Leh, Ton Sai, are great spots and a little less crowded than Phi Phi, Phuket and the other tourist shit holes. But get into the mountains if you get a chance. The beaches are great but see some real Thailand while you are there.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby matt5058 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:50 pm

Ultra Swain wrote:
Koh Tao, Rai Leh, Ton Sai, are great spots and a little less crowded than Phi Phi, Phuket and the other tourist shit holes. But get into the mountains if you get a chance. The beaches are great but see some real Thailand while you are there.

We're thinking of spending the first couple weeks in the south, spending some time on Ko Phangan and maybe checking out Ko Samui, then heading up to check out Ko Chang, party a bit in Bangkok and for the last part of our trip going up north to some place with jungles and temples and what not, I think it was called Chiang Mai?
matt5058
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:11 pm

matt5058 wrote:
Ultra Swain wrote:

We're thinking of spending the first couple weeks in the south, spending some time on Ko Phangan and maybe checking out Ko Samui, then heading up to check out Ko Chang, party a bit in Bangkok and for the last part of our trip going up north to some place with jungles and temples and what not, I think it was called Chiang Mai?

If I may make a suggestion, do the mountains first. See Chaing Mai, go on a trek, spend some time with some actual Thais. then hit the beaches and chill the fuck out. Trust me its the way to go.
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Jimbo » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:07 am

If you want to go to an island that's still under-developed, and have some time... go to Ko Muk, it's south of Lanta on the Andaman sea side, very nice, a good friend of mine runs a place down there with bungalows and all that beachy type stuff. If you're serious about it send me a PM and I'll give you my friends name and other info that may be useful. What Mr. Swain said is very true, the north is definately worth visiting, but I'd spend little time in Chiang Mai....Mae Hong Son, Mae Sariang, Doi Mae Salong, Chiang Saen,Mae Fang & Taton (sp?) are just a few places in the north that come to mind that are worth visiting, most of these are in the Chiang Rai area.If you find yourself in the northern hinterlands, let me know and I'll get you into Burma on the sly, so you can ditch your girlfriend there and find a proper Thai girlfrind...
Jimbo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:56 am

so you can ditch your girlfriend there and find a proper Thai girlfrind...

Thais are so last week. Its all about the Lhisu chicks now. You should be on that since they are all up in your neck of the woods.
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Jimbo » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:35 am

Lhisu women, born to breed...big hips, bones, breasts etc. must be that Tibetan bloodline, all the ethnic women are attractive... as long as they don't have beetle nut juice stains on their teeth...
Jimbo
BFCus Regularus

Postby bearanddragon » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:28 am

Might I recommend Koh Chang as another undeveloped place. I was recently there. Very fun. I can recommend bars if you want.

You MUST hit up chiang mai. I was there this summer. Although I lived in Bangkok for six years and its probably my all time favorite city on Earth, I prefer Chiang Mai to just hang out. It's cheap just the right size.

For cheap lodging try hostelbookers.com or hostelworld.com . It's a good start if you don't know anyone local. You can always try couchsurfing.org too - I've never used it to find lodging, but I know of people who have used it to find lodging, and its pretty safe from what I hear.

How long will you be there?
You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Pecker! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Postby matt5058 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:12 pm

I read some really good things about Ko Chang, also got some advice from my brother and his fiancee (she's Thai). We are definitely going to Ko Chang for a few days, also going to Chiang Mi for sure. We are going to spend some time in Ko Phangan as well. I think those three places will be nice. I heard a lot of good things about Ko Phangan from two friends who were there in March.

I've had experience with couchsurfing, had a few couchsurfers at my place and one of my friends' places here. We found some nice, affordable bungalows so no couch surfing. If I was traveling alone I'd be much more likely to do the couchsurfing thing. Trip is pretty much settled except a few small details. We'll be there for 25 days.
matt5058
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:30 pm

have fun and post some pix when you get back :)
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Return to Black Flag Cafe