Scotch

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Scotch

Postby Kurt » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:40 pm

I usually get The McCallan 12 year old or Balvenie Doublewood.

Today I would like to try another bottle in the same price range of those two. What would you advise and why?

Thanks.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: Scotch

Postby Woodsman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:11 pm

I would advise Rum or Moonshine, because they both taste better than Scotch and half the amount of moonshine will make the hair on your back stand up quicker.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dr. V » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:30 pm

Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby Kurt » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:50 pm

Woodsman wrote:I would advise Rum or Moonshine, because they both taste better than Scotch and half the amount of moonshine will make the hair on your back stand up quicker.

be gone philistine!
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Kurt » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:53 pm

I will see if they have it at the local (near work..not Swine & Spirits) shop. Part of me wants the Cask Strength McCallan but part of me also remembers getting all sloppy drunk on that (and other things) as well.

I got a bottle of wine from my boss but its still in paper so I do not know what it is. But wine is a fine Christmas present.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Kurt » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:28 am

They did not have any Speyside except for McCallan and Balvenie.

So I got Laproiag and I am not as impressed as Lightstalker is with it. To me it's type of woody taste is not bad but I cannot call it good either. So I will keep this bottle for guests who prefer this type.

Still..not a bad way to defy a boycott of things that are Scottish.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Dabbi » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:02 am

I always get a bottle of Grants Family reserve when i get sloppy drunk with my mates as we gather around a campfire built with the few remaining trees that are left in Iceland. For other occasions i drink 12 year old Glenfiddich and for a really special occasion i have a bottle of 25 year old Glenfiddich.

My dad told me a story about how when he went to the USA to study in University and a professor there asked him if he was a whiskey enthusiast and my dad proudly told him that he had tasted every whiskey there is since he had bought the two different brands that were available in the state liquor store at that time and the professor then slammed a book called "Whiskies of the world.
Dabbi
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:13 am

I like Dalwhinnie and Jura. Don't know how they compare to what you typically get. Laphroig is a bit too peaty for me and I have a feeling it's not too attractive to the ladies when on your breath.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:01 pm

"it's type of woody taste"

That's "peaty" to you bud!. LaPhroig has an undeserved reputation as the mercenaries favorite scotch (It ain't they will drink anything) In fact I often wonder why people drink the expensive stuff socially since after the first glass it all tastes the same. I prefer anything 15 year and older and the next morning always wish my friends weren't alcoholics and that I had spent my 50 - 100 bucks on something I could actually use.

They have tasting places at some airports (Heathrow has one) but its a personal choice. Personally you should have a quiver of scotches (including Irish Whiskey) and you should never leave the good stuff out for your Facebook friends. And if Mike the Hack is breezing through, pour out all your good scoth into tupperware and replace it with generic shit..

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/phpimages/to ... _image.jpg
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Kurt » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:08 pm

30 years old..that must just be like chewing turf.

I am going to have another glass of the ten year old stuff and see if I cannot acquire a taste for it but I suspect that The Balvenie doublewood will win again for the battle of my tastebuds.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Woodsman » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:16 pm

RYP wrote:mercenaries favorite scotch (It ain't they will drink anything)

Logic dictates otherwise.

In fact I often wonder why people drink the expensive stuff socially since after the first glass it all tastes the same. I prefer anything 15 year and older and the next morning always wish my friends weren't alcoholics and

that I had spent my 50 - 100 bucks on something I could actually use.

I always think that, which is why I only spend <$20 on a outstanding fifth of rum or ~$12 on a quart ball jar of something that has actually been created by the hands of a true American craftsman (and is WAY smoother and probably 10-20 % stronger than the furthest aged Scotch).

[They have tasting places at some airports (Heathrow has one) but its a personal choice. Personally you should have a quiver of scotches (including Irish Whiskey) and you should never leave the good stuff out for your Facebook friends. And if Mike the Hack is breezing through, pour out all your good scoth into tupperware and replace it with generic shit...
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:34 pm

Scotch = Nasty tasting watered down crude liquor that otherwise smart people drink to socially mesh with the ruling elite of a pretend world that appears real to many people.

That shit is horrid.

The first time I ever had a drink of anything alcohol it was Cutty Sark. Sure, it's a blend, but even single malts don't taste much different and are equally crap. Ditto for Cognac. Cognac = overpriced shit for liquor (same as "Scotch"). Taste like cough syryp. Both = giant waste of money.

Scotch tastes more horrible than Everclear - and that stuff pretty much tastes like Laboratory EtOh, which is essentially what it is - At least Everclear hasnt' been watered down or isn't filled with nasty tanins and impurities that "one acquires an exquisite palette for" (in other words get used to drinking overpriced horrid tasting nastiness for reasons other than truly drinking what tastes right).

I will take good old American moonshine (You might call this REAL Scotch made by descendants of Scotland in the Southern Blue Ridge mts. - and it has NOT been watered down in any part of the process - quite the contrary - In fact, I will bet there are Scottish that make this proper liquor the same way in Scotland - probably some making it today.)

Galencia style Agua Vino is also good, or as of lately, I've had quite a bit of Polish spirytus rektyfikowany, which is also good.

I just do not understand why ANYONE in their right mind would drink that utter horse shit called "Scotch" and then go and talk about how good it tastes (ohhhhh...this horse piss is really goooooodddd) - GET REAL!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dr. V » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:15 pm

Woodsman wrote:
I will take good old American moonshine (You might call this REAL Scotch made by descendants of Scotland in the Southern Blue Ridge mts. - and it has NOT been watered down in any part of the process - quite the contrary - In fact, I will bet there are Scottish that make this proper liquor the same way in Scotland - probably some making it today.)

I just do not understand why ANYONE in their right mind would drink that utter horse shit called "Scotch" and then go and talk about how good it tastes (ohhhhh...this horse piss is really goooooodddd) - GET REAL!

The distilleries in Scotland are busy making Whisky not Scotch.
Dr. V
Academikus Seductresus

Postby Woodsman » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:21 pm

vlindsay wrote:
Woodsman wrote:

The distilleries in Scotland are busy making Whisky not Scotch.

Both are crap and are therefore irrelevant to anyone with a reasonable level of "taste."
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:13 pm

vlindsay wrote:The distilleries in Scotland are busy making Whisky not Scotch.

Legal definition

To be called Scotch whisky the spirit must conform to the standards of the Scotch Whisky Order of 1990 (UK),[3] which clarified the Scotch Whisky Act 1988,[4] and mandates that the spirit:

1. Must be distilled at a Scottish distillery from water and malted barley, to which only other whole grains may be added, have been processed at that distillery into a mash, converted to a fermentable substrate only by endogenous enzyme systems, and fermented only by the addition of yeast,
2. Must be distilled to an alcoholic strength of less than 94.8%[4] by volume so that it retains the flavour of the raw materials used in its production,
3. Must be matured in Scotland in oak casks for no less than three years and a day,
4. Must not contain any added substance other than water and caramel colouring, and
5. May not be bottled at less than 40% alcohol by volume.

= HORSE PISS.

Real men don't drink that horse piss. Real men drink the real deal which is made using the following method:

Grow organic barley and/or corn and/or rye on rich humus river bottom soil, harvest at just the right period to retain the unique flavor of grain, dry it in sunlight and plenty of fresh country air, grind it down, put it in some fresh mountain spring water of excellent purity, add some brewers yeast and unprocessed cane sugar, bring it up to simmer in a pot, let it cool down to about room temperature and let it ferment for up to 3 weeks. Then, after this solution reaches a preferred specific gravity (or until it quits releasing CO2), it is then heated to a most beautiful 173F and the evaporate is called "white liquor" (others will call this moonshine, but mountaineers call it White liquor). It is almost 2x as strong as what you call "Scotch", tastes better and will give you the lightest hangover of any strong liquor you've ever had.

The color is a step more transparent than crystal. The taste is both unique to the grain and smooth with a strong tone of alcohol, but does not overpower the taste. The taste most resembles tequila (tones of) than any other commercial liquor.

I haven't had any good white liquor for quite a while, but last time I bought some it went for $12/quart (bottled appropriately in an original Ball widemouth jar). There is no better liquor at any price.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe