Scotch

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Scotch

Postby svizzerams » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:18 am

I think I'll still stick with a nice red blend wine - something with a little Cab Sav.; Cab Franc; merlot, and perhaps some syrah thrown in....
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Bronco » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:24 pm

Just a short story here. I inherited a Decanter and was wondering what I should put in it so I asked several friends for suggestions and most agreed that it should be a good Scotch. The big problems there are a) there are so many brands available, and b) many of the opinions of scotch are pretentious. To resolve this dilemma I have begun to buy bottles one at a time and methodically work my way through them. I have come to the conclusion that everybody is right. Each person has their own set of taste buds and they all vary.
At this point I will NEVER buy another bottle of JW Red, I do like Chivas Royal Salute, but I prefer JW Gold to that. I tend to like single malts better than blends, although good blends are nice to offer other people who are not whisky enthusiasts on special occasions. My next plan is to buy one bottle at a time and drink less than half the bottle, leaving the rest for comparison testing at some later time as I add to my collection. As a general rule the better choices of single malts tend to correlate with the sales turnover at the liquor store. People buy what they like but can afford, therefore buying what everyone else is buying is a fairly safe bet.
Ice tends to soften the alcohol shock but waters down the taste once it reaches a certain level of dilution, therefore limiting the amount of ice or drinking a single malt neat is probably my preferred way to drink it. I have not developed the taste for soda....yet, although I can see your point, Kurt. Thanks to all of you for your educated and experienced input.
I have decided to get rid of the decanter.
"I used to care, but things have changed"
Bob Dylan
Bronco
Old Man On The Mountain

Postby WillyBlues » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:02 pm

Bronco wrote:Just a short story here. I inherited a Decanter and was wondering what I should put in it so I asked several friends for suggestions and most agreed that it should be a good Scotch. The big problems there are a) there are so many brands available, and b) many of the opinions of scotch are pretentious. To resolve this dilemma I have begun to buy bottles one at a time and methodically work my way through them. I have come to the conclusion that everybody is right. Each person has their own set of taste buds and they all vary.
At this point I will NEVER buy another bottle of JW Red, I do like Chivas Royal Salute, but I prefer JW Gold to that. I tend to like single malts better than blends, although good blends are nice to offer other people who are not whisky enthusiasts on special occasions. My next plan is to buy one bottle at a time and drink less than half the bottle, leaving the rest for comparison testing at some later time as I add to my collection. As a general rule the better choices of single malts tend to correlate with the sales turnover at the liquor store. People buy what they like but can afford, therefore buying what everyone else is buying is a fairly safe bet.
Ice tends to soften the alcohol shock but waters down the taste once it reaches a certain level of dilution, therefore limiting the amount of ice or drinking a single malt neat is probably my preferred way to drink it. I have not developed the taste for soda....yet, although I can see your point, Kurt. Thanks to all of you for your educated and experienced input.

The rule with ice is extra large cubes, buy a tray if needed, it cuts down on the melting time.
"All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something that isn't even visible."
WillyBlues
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:21 pm

Bronco wrote:Just a short story here. I inherited a Decanter and was wondering what I should put in it so I asked several friends for suggestions and most agreed that it should be a good Scotch. The big problems there are a) there are so many brands available, and b) many of the opinions of scotch are pretentious. To resolve this dilemma I have begun to buy bottles one at a time and methodically work my way through them. I have come to the conclusion that everybody is right. Each person has their own set of taste buds and they all vary.

Problems with decanters are:

Lead crystal...or why rich people would die of lead poisoning or kidney failure.

Part of the point of good booze is the bottle. It contains information so you can buy another one and, there is never any lead in them.

If I had a crystal decanter I would put a cheaper but good liquor in it...then leave it out so my housecleaner would think she was stealing a shot of "fancy" booze.

Also another good use for one would be to decant a red wine into it before serving. the motion of pouring it twice would speed up the "breathing" but you would never want to leave it in the decanter. (I "decant" in a Pyrex and it works great)
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:44 pm

svizzerams wrote:I think I'll still stick with a nice red blend wine - something with a little Cab Sav.; Cab Franc; merlot, and perhaps some syrah thrown in....

I wouldent be caught dead drinkin wine as that is a total womans drink, but why not try the Rickshaw92 tried, tested, and true method and gettin the cheapest stuff with the most alcohol?
Not for Scotch though, for that ya gotta spend at least a score, anything less and you are an chavastic alchie.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Kurt » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:19 pm

I found a scotch for the hypothetical decanter. It is cheap....$32. Speyside single malt and from Gordon & McPhail who make my kickass 15 year old that costs way too much.

It is called The MacPhail's Collection and this is an 8 year old from Tamdhu Distillery. The fact it is 8 years old and made from whiskey that is mostly used in blends makes this cheap, but really tasty. Plus it is smooth so people who don't like old single malts will still like this.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Caliban » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:12 pm

Kurt wrote:I found a scotch for the hypothetical decanter. It is cheap....$32. Speyside single malt and from Gordon & McPhail who make my kickass 15 year old that costs way too much.

It is called The MacPhail's Collection and this is an 8 year old from Tamdhu Distillery. The fact it is 8 years old and made from whiskey that is mostly used in blends makes this cheap, but really tasty. Plus it is smooth so people who don't like old single malts will still like this.

Now,we are a considerable time and six pages into this thread and I'd still stick with the Balvenie, doublewood or single barrel 25 you mentioned in the first post or an old Dalwhinnie, a fine distillery in the central highlands. Nice and smooth.

I have a Balvenie 25 yr single barrel that was my dads, still unopened after close to 20 years (yes I realise that it no longer matures after bottling) that I am thinking of opening in six weeks time for my sepcial occasion. Or maybe I'll save it another two years for what would have been his 80th birthday.
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby shivers » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:34 pm

I think he wants you to open it for that special occasion.

Cheers!
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:45 am

I am tempted to "just happen" to be in Liverpool for the Scotch opening.

The Balvenie 12 year old is a fine drink. I cannot imagine what the 25 year old would be like. Whatever occasion you open it on will be a memorable one.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby coldharvest » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:34 am

Caliban wrote:
Kurt wrote:I found a scotch for the hypothetical decanter. It is cheap....$32. Speyside single malt and from Gordon & McPhail who make my kickass 15 year old that costs way too much.

Now,we are a considerable time and six pages into this thread and I'd still stick with the Balvenie, doublewood or single barrel 25 you mentioned in the first post or an old Dalwhinnie, a fine distillery in the central highlands. Nice and smooth.

I have a Balvenie 25 yr single barrel that was my dads, still unopened after close to 20 years (yes I realise that it no longer matures after bottling) that I am thinking of opening in six weeks time for my sepcial occasion. Or maybe I'll save it another two years for what would have been his 80th birthday.

half now, half then?
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:16 pm

I have a Balvenie 25 yr single barrel that was my dads, still unopened after close to 20 years (yes I realise that it no longer matures after bottling) that I am thinking of opening in six weeks time for my sepcial occasion.

Party at Calibans!
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Caliban » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:41 pm

No problem there my friend.All welcome.

A small select band (and their beer auxilliaries) awaits your arrival

That wee one at the front is going down rather well as I type. Ledaig from the Fort William distillery. A rather smoky back taste that is reminiscent of a mackeral smokery which for some curious reason works really well
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby vetparatrooper » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:42 am

Wish I could actually listen to all of Burns Poem's being actually read but every time I click on one of these readers it says "not available in your area".
but the Glenlivet has been been good while reading.
Conlige suspectos semper habitos
vetparatrooper
BFCus Regularus

Location: Mountains somewhere in the Appalachians (other than that, my exact location is nobody's bizness)

Postby suwon fish » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:35 am

vetparatrooper wrote:Wish I could actually listen to all of Burns Poem's being actually read but every time I click on one of these readers it says "not available in your area".
but the Glenlivet has been been good while reading.

I normally use Demonoid to find torrents, but you need to be a member to use it. Isohunt works just fine too.

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/112627097/burns+poetry?tab=summary

This torrent is the poems of Robbie Burns.

If you never downloaded torrents before you need a program to do it for you. I like Utorrent best.

http://www.utorrent.com

All this stuff, movies, ebooks, audio books, music is free by the way.
A day should not be praised until the Sun has set, a woman until she is burned, a sword until it's tested, ice until it's crossed or beer until it's drunk - Viking proverb
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby vetparatrooper » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:51 pm

Well hey that is pretty cool thanks and with the wintery mix that just started I just got back from the liquor store in time for the third and final storm of the season (hopefully) and decided to try the Balvenie doublewood that the beginner of this fine thread suggested....so it shall be a night of Burn's Poetry (read aloud this time) and a nice fire in the fireplace...cheers...see ya'll when the power comes back on...gonna save the battery on this thing for the evenings festivities
Conlige suspectos semper habitos
vetparatrooper
BFCus Regularus

Location: Mountains somewhere in the Appalachians (other than that, my exact location is nobody's bizness)

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe