New Tires MF's!

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

New Tires MF's!

Postby Chelly » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:32 pm

this is a throwback to my old BFC Bikers thread where those interested have seen me go from "I just bought a bike, now what do I do?" to my currrent state as International Enduro Rider poster boy.
been riding bald for a while now on cheap chinese made tires and tubes that were on the bike when I purchased it used.
Finally able to replace them yesterday with some real tires and tubes (Bridgestone - I don't know if they're a big player in the game but at least I recognize the name and they are made in Japan). Even though my tubes are ok, they are the cheap chinese variety, so I thought I'd get all the new higher quality stuff I could, and just keep the old for an emergency. With Installation and everything, the two new tires and tubes cost me about US$157 (15% tax included), which seems a good price when I was comparing tires from a Canadian website where similar tires were around $100 per. Front is Trail Wing 27 and rear is Trail Wing 44. Online it looks like they have equal amounts of detractors and promoters, with them generally being a decent dirt and pavement tire. The front is 2poly +1 nylon tread and 2poly sidewall, rear is 3nylon tread and 2nylon sidewall. That doesn't mean much too me - again, online no one seems to have strong opinions one way or the other.

out with the old (yes, Friendlyskies, you have been mere milimetres away from certain controlled stops and having to take a cab):

and in with the new:

Chelly
Besleeve Yourself, Strumpet!

Re: New Tires MF's!

Postby Atrax » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:11 pm

Sweet ride dude. I gotta learn to ride one of these days.
Atrax
BFCus Regularus

Postby friendlyskies » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:03 am

Ah sweet. When I get back to Managua (one more week of this bitter fracking US cold yargggghhhh) you've got to cruise by. How about Peace Park as a backdrop for a groovin' motorcycle pic?

Image Image
"4 cylinder Camaro=communism" El Presidente

"You can smoke salmon but it's not quite the same as smoking heroin." nanuq
friendlyskies
Vata Loca

Postby Chelly » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:22 pm

Looks interesting, I'm game for anything. Let's get Tipi Tapa in there - I've got a couple friends who keep asking when I'm going out there again. In fact I'll probably go there this weekend as well. And a friend / former co-worker from Soviet Canuckistan is getting here on the 17th to hit the south so hopefully you two can connect and you can tell her the do what's where's.
Chelly

Postby Woodsman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:47 pm

Looks good. For the record, Chelly those are called "death wings" in the motorcycling community. Don't worry though, not very many people have died using them.

Just remember: It's not bald until the cord is hanging out.

:-)

I still really love that bike!

keep the rubber side down!
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chelly » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:50 pm

Woodsman wrote:Looks good. For the record, Chelly those are called "death wings" in the motorcycling community. Don't worry though, not very many people have died using them.

Just remember: It's not bald until the cord is hanging out.

:-)

I still really love that bike!

keep the rubber side down!

alright, so I won't win Dakar (this year!) flying Death Wings. But yeah, I love her too, and it seems a lot of people do. I get thumbs up all the time from other moto's. Gas station attendants always ask about it. Just yesterday I was waiting for some tailoring to get finished (ripped jeans and missing buttons and what-not) so I went to a bar close-by for a couple of pops and some dude just started asking me about it - we talked for 10 minutes and not once did he ask where I was from, what am I doing here, how did I like Nicaragua etc., just talking about my bike.

I get why I like it so much - it's my first and only moto, it gives me a ton of freedom, no more taxis, and I get little to no hassles at the intersections from touts and beggars. I just have to keep an eye out for the Transit cops. But I don't understand the reaction I get from others. It's far far from the prettiest or newest bike out there - it must be some kind of classic, if only in these parts.
cheers.
Chelly

Postby Woodsman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:16 pm

Chelly wrote:But I don't understand the reaction I get from others. It's far far from the prettiest or newest bike out there - it must be some kind of classic, if only in these parts.
cheers.

It's a DR, it's a small CC size, just about perfect for traveling anywhere, because it's strong enough to climb a hill or do highway speeds, but not too heavy to lift over a creek too deep to ford, etc.

If I was picking a bike to travel RTW, that's just about exactly what I would want - just travel light.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:52 pm

lovely!!!
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Return to Black Flag Cafe