Adventurous Job/Internship for a College Student

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Adventurous Job/Internship for a College Student

Postby shouston321 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:49 am

Thanks Kurt. You’re probably right about doing a local internship here in Chicago and using that experience to go abroad later. I think I’m just anxious to be finished with school and to get out into the world.

The school is part of a few different networks that allow you to essentially go anywhere that you would like. The counselor for the school generally only knows about the common study abroad places like London, Paris, ect… If I can find a program in another country the school is pretty flexible. I think the only requirements are that the country cannot be on a state department travel advisory list and it has to be in an accredited university. Through the networks the school belongs to there is a western university affiliated with most places. I chose those three countries because she had some knowledge about programs there. I could easily research and find a program if I have some ideas.
shouston321

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:56 am

Wow, you came back - lol

Sorry dude, most people that post questions like that never return

~James
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby roach coach » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:16 pm

shouston321 wrote:Thanks Kurt. You’re probably right about doing a local internship here in Chicago and using that experience to go abroad later. I think I’m just anxious to be finished with school and to get out into the world.

I'm at that point too. I was curious abut studying abroad in 2007, and went to the office on-campus to ask about it. Apparently they suspended all campus programs related to the Middle East since they thought was "unsafe." I am eying some intern opportunities and independent study-abroad programs, but my time as an undergrad is nearing an end. I want to continue my studies, but I want to go out and do something besides write 20-page research essays on BS.
..................__
............/´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........./'/.../..../......./¨¯\
.......('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
........\.................'...../
.........'\............. _.·´
...........\..............(
............\..............\
BROFIST
roach coach
BFCus Regularus

Postby Charlie-CBC » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:19 am

Well if you have experience in tutoring foreign cadets in ESL then you can EASILY get a job teaching/tutoring in English in places like Thailand. I taught english there for a year. They will hire anyone. I had no experience or college degree. I'm serious, they will hire any native english speaker. The trick is finding a GOOD ESL teaching job there. The ones I had sucked and the pay was shit. But it's still fun if you've never done it before. There's a huge demand for ESL teachers who are actually native English speakers. Thailand was a lot of fun. And the state department travel advisory list is something that should usually be ignored in favor of more educated/current sources of info on the place you are going. Universities are always ruling a place out if there is even the slightest rumor that it is dangerous. I don't know if Thailand has ever made the state department list, but you can check. Go for it man, there's a whole world waiting for you.
Charlie-CBC

Postby Scotty » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:43 am

Criminal Justice Major and adventurous? Something in South Central Los Angeles (especially if you're white). But something in a thirld world country might be safer.
Scotty

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:49 am

coldharvest wrote:
shouston321 wrote:I am looking at going to South Africa, Vietnam, or Thailand.

.....not much extra money floating around those places.

He could try being a lady boy in Thailand, apparently they make good coin.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby coldharvest » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:56 am

Scotty wrote:Criminal Justice Major and adventurous? Something in South Central Los Angeles (especially if you're white). But something in a thirld world country might be safer.

good suggestion
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:35 pm

Scotty wrote:Criminal Justice Major and adventurous? Something in South Central Los Angeles (especially if you're white). But something in a thirld world country might be safer.

Criminal Justice is probably the most worthless degree you can get, right up there with psychology

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby deselby » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:58 pm

Join a National Guard MP unit, sooner or later you'll be called up and find some adventure.
deselby
BFCus Regularus

Postby Atrax » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:34 am

deselby wrote:Join a National Guard MP unit, sooner or later you'll be called up and find some adventure.

Yeah, like chasing down dudes for speeding as they leave the wire.
Atrax
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:23 am

Atrax wrote:
deselby wrote:Join a National Guard MP unit, sooner or later you'll be called up and find some adventure.

Sounds like you have had that lusty adventure job yourself.

Oh, I got back from Seattle and my lusty adventures involved drinking all kinds of beer and eating all kinds of oysters. Plus I found the elusive "Grains of Paradise" in a spice store there. I have no idea what to do with them but they are hard to find.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:22 pm

Atrax wrote:

Or giving speeding tickets to guys that just spent a month outside of the wire

~JITWUFGYIF
JamesInTheWorld

Postby Atrax » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:45 pm

Kurt wrote:
Atrax wrote:

Sounds like you have had that lusty adventure job yourself.

Oh, I got back from Seattle and my lusty adventures involved drinking all kinds of beer and eating all kinds of oysters. Plus I found the elusive "Grains of Paradise" in a spice store there. I have no idea what to do with them but they are hard to find.

Nah, I'm usually the dude getting chased down. Glad to hear Seattle was a good time.
Atrax
BFCus Regularus

Postby media » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:15 am

The job path you describe is what every kid in military school is wanting. Looking to make a few thousand for school next year and still have a cool internship good luck. In this economy I have people with degrees asking to intern/assist for free. Want some real world experience maybe get some cool training/experience you can actually use then volunteer. Red Cross or find a church going on a mission trip to somewhere you'd like to experience. Take it in small steps. A good leader isn't always the bad ass in the room.
Send Lawyers Guns and Money...
media
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fansy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:20 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:

Criminal Justice is probably the most worthless degree you can get, right up there with psychology

~JITW

criminology/crim justice taught me a lot. but mine was a master's level academic and research-based program. and it is fairly worthless in the sense of using it for my profession (which i dont have). but it is well worth it for someone who wanted to better understand and be able to explain/predict the consequences of the fucked up ways we treat each other. that is, it's not worthless. it may be worthless for traveling around the world and finding adventure tho. that seems to be easy enough to do without a degree and/or associated student debt.
"...we support members' rights to privacy."
- Robert Young Pelton
Fansy
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe