Motorcycles: Beach Riding

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Motorcycles: Beach Riding

Postby Chelly » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:08 pm

that's a photo of mine from an old old thread. Someone had asked if you can ride on the beach.
I went out there yesterday (Pochomil), asked the gal I rented a room from ($7.50), and she said it was no problem. So I've got pavement, gravel, and dirt riding experience now, but the beach was too much for me. I just sank right in and had to keep both feet on the ground to keep it up. This is probably obvious, but I assume the ground is harder near the water and riding easier out there. But I hadn't done any research and didn't want to get stuck out there (there's quite a bit of soft sand before you get to the water). Also, even if the sand is soft, if you get up enough speed can you "float" on top - I was strictly in first gear so I don't know if I could have had a good time riding soft sand regardless. You guys are full of answers, hit me!
-c
Chelly
Besleeve Yourself, Strumpet!

Re: Motorcycles: Beach Riding

Postby Woodsman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:38 am

Chelly wrote:Image
that's a photo of mine from an old old thread. Someone had asked if you can ride on the beach.
I went out there yesterday (Pochomil), asked the gal I rented a room from ($7.50), and she said it was no problem. So I've got pavement, gravel, and dirt riding experience now, but the beach was too much for me. I just sank right in and had to keep both feet on the ground to keep it up. This is probably obvious, but I assume the ground is harder near the water and riding easier out there. But I hadn't done any research and didn't want to get stuck out there (there's quite a bit of soft sand before you get to the water). Also, even if the sand is soft, if you get up enough speed can you "float" on top - I was strictly in first gear so I don't know if I could have had a good time riding soft sand regardless. You guys are full of answers, hit me!
-c

You might consider letting some air out of your tires - low air pressure = better traction on the loose stuff - your success on two wheels will always be limited on soft sand. My big piggy bike gets very sketchy in sand - your light bike will be WAY better. Man I so wish I could ride on the sand. I've just finally been able to get out of the snow...moving South of the border and riding in a sand is another step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:54 am

If you are not in a biker gang and you ride a motorcycle you are gay

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Woodsman » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:45 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:If you are not in a biker gang and you ride a motorcycle you are gay

~JITW

Says gay tom.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:12 am

Chelly wrote:Image
-c

I have tried in Glamis and in Mexico. It usually ends in tears. But Woodsy is right, let some air out of your tires and dont over compensate while getting up to cruising speed. The one benefit is that falling doesnt hurt as much most times. Go with god, and getting gay with bikes is ok.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Mikethehack » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:03 pm

Taking one up the tailpipe is ok?
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby Woodsman » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:05 pm

Mikethehack wrote:Taking one up the tailpipe is ok?

Ask James, aka the expert of tactical enemas.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:36 pm

Mikethehack wrote:Taking one up the tailpipe is ok?

It's on the beach, the tropics, maybe after a pitcher of Pink Ladies or 3. I am not here to judge only offer some advice on how to get hot sandy action on your motorbike.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby marie-angelique » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:24 pm

woodsy is right. a small bike and less tire pressure, and yeah, the wetter sand is going to be easier.

can you get balloon tires?

have fun :)
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Hitoru » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:06 am

Make sure you wash your bike real well if you get it into the salt water. Especially the exhaust ,shocks and anywhere the paint has wore off and there is bare metal.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Chelly » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:34 am

Hitoru wrote:Make sure you wash your bike real well if you get it into the salt water. Especially the exhaust ,shocks and anywhere the paint has wore off and there is bare metal.

thanks, that's good advice for next time.
I did go get my bike washed and the chain and clutch lubed when I got back, but at the time I was only thinking in terms of sand.
Chelly

Postby zomb1elvis » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:15 pm

im not mx superstar or anything but if i have to ride my bike across a sand(which working in constrution happens a bit) i find getting into high gear quickley and reving the tits off it stops the bike digging into the sand.
zomb1elvis

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:28 pm

Don’t forget to mod your pipes so they are extremely loud, that is soooo cool

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby svizzerams » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:24 am

lower tire pressure and get it out of 1st gear - keeping your speed up and steady is one of the keys to success. Unless you hit a hidden rock, of course.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Chelly » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:37 pm

* photos are from my new old RazrV3 so poor quality...

back from the beach. did some real riding this time. wish I could say I followed your advice about tire pressure but first I'd have to go find out if there's a compressor in Pochomil, then where it is, then where the guy who operates is, and when he'll be around. I just wanted to hit the beach.
Well firstly, I wanted to eat. I arrived at Masachapa and went to El Triangle where the road splits for a couple pops.
I was really hungry and wanted a big meal, so I asked the gal there if you can go to Barcelo Montelimar (all inclusive resort a few miles to the north) and just pay for lunch. She said no you couldn't. So I went to Montelimar and went to reception and told them I wanted the lunch buffet. It was $20, and you have access to the restaurant for the duration of the lunch service (11:30-2:30 I think) - same goes for breakfast and dinner, all $20 each. That includes a pour-your-own-beer tap.
Next it was back to Masachapa to head south to Pochomil (cheaper beach town in general). They've been doing construction so finding the access road is confusing, eventually I came to a nice slope down towards the beach so I said to hell with it I will ride the beach to Pochomil.
A few minutes later I pulled up to a Ranchero and ordered a drink and talked habitaciones.
got a room for 200 cordobas ( a little less than US$10), unloaded my gear, and went for a cruise less encumbered by little things like helmets.
later on I settled into a hammock and listened to the last couple of howard stern shows on my mp3 player and boozed into the darkness.
great great riding, great time overall.
cheers
Chelly

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe