Assorted Web Resources: Knots, Locks, Field Manuals, etc.

Where to go, what to eat, where to stay, guides, and taxi drivers.

Check here to see what other BFCers have enjoyed.

Moderator: coldharvest

Assorted Web Resources: Knots, Locks, Field Manuals, etc.

Postby mapandcompass » Wed May 12, 2010 11:27 pm

I was organizing my bookmarks and found some sites that might be of interest (someday? maybe?) to members of the Flag. Anyhow, I am 'recommending' these resources for the sake of general adventurous education.

IMHO, every adventurer should be somewhat proficient with ropes and cord. You'll need to know some knots and this animated website is better than books: http://www.animatedknots.com/

Need to boil your water/bandages/food in the field? Can't risk/fuel a campfire? This tiny stove (<1oz) can be improvised just about anywhere people have lived or littered. I made one out of soda cans and it's held up over 3 years. It would be simple enough to make one while traveling, using scrounged materials and hand tools. Runs on 90%+ alcohols - ethanol, methanol, and even isopropyl from drugstores/med chests or 151 proof rum in a pinch :*( http://users.sisqtel.net/losthiker/pikastove/

If you're technically inclined, or a fan of being taken prisoner (improvise your picks/wrench beforehand, please), a basic knowledge of the mechanisms within various locks may serve you well someday. Also, if you rely on locks to protect yourself or your valuables, this first link is pertinent! I recommend Deviant Ollam's excellent presentation: http://www.blackhat.com/presentations/b ... lam-WP.pdf
Although no self-respecting American LEO would handcuff you like this, not all potential captors are versed in prisoner management. http://revver.com/video/201749/unlock-h ... -revealed/

In this stack of Army Field Manuals, you might find a bit of homework if you're venturing into dangerous places: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... y/army/fm/

I can dig up a bit more stuff if anyone finds these kinds of things at all interesting...
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Way out West

Re: Assorted Web Resources: Knots, Locks, Field Manuals, etc.

Postby coldharvest » Thu May 13, 2010 5:44 am

Superb, cheers.
We had the animated knot one up a while ago, very useful.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
User avatar
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman
 
Posts: 25677
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:36 am
Location: Island of Misfit Toys

Re: Assorted Web Resources: Knots, Locks, Field Manuals, etc.

Postby marie-angelique » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:48 pm

mapandcompass wrote:I can dig up a bit more stuff if anyone finds these kinds of things at all interesting...


yes, please :) and thanks!
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
User avatar
marie-angelique
Coonass
 
Posts: 5986
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:24 am
Location: over the rainbow

Re: Assorted Web Resources: Knots, Locks, Field Manuals, etc.

Postby redharen » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:21 pm

Need to boil your water/bandages/food in the field? Can't risk/fuel a campfire? This tiny stove (<1oz) can be improvised just about anywhere people have lived or littered. I made one out of soda cans and it's held up over 3 years. It would be simple enough to make one while traveling, using scrounged materials and hand tools. Runs on 90%+ alcohols - ethanol, methanol, and even isopropyl from drugstores/med chests or 151 proof rum in a pinch :*( http://users.sisqtel.net/losthiker/pikastove/


Thanks for this one -- I've built the Pepsi can stove and the Cat Stove and have liked them both. I have used the Cat Stove on two long ultralight hikes in the desert, but might try this Pika Stove and give it a shot this summer.
User avatar
redharen
small ax
 
Posts: 2653
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:22 am
Location: Jerusalem

Re: Assorted Web Resources: Knots, Locks, Field Manuals, etc

Postby strapped » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Thanks for the posting map&c.

I like the lock publication a lot. Quite a while ago I bought a lockpicking kit and a couple of door locks and deadbolts and taught myself to pick locks. I only picked the locks that I had bought but this reminded me of my kit again.

I fiddled and farted around for a few days on the deadbolts before they opened but I distinctly remember how proud I was of myself when I got them opened. I think I am going to try it again.
strapped
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Re: Assorted Web Resources: Knots, Locks, Field Manuals, etc

Postby mapandcompass » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:25 pm

I'm glad to see this thread is well received. Here's some more rando links for ya.

This website http://www.woodsdrummer.com by Eric Stoskopf is excellent reading (and a good way to melt those office hours). In short, he's into solo-wandering the Sierras with a bare minimum of equipment: axe, blanket, knife, firesteel, pistol. Really wonderful adventures to read about, and I've learned a good bit by reading his site (thrice, by now). He's a decent photographer as well, and is an astute gear analyst. Sadly, Eric hasn't updated the site in a very long time, so once you've browsed through it, don't hold your breath for new material.

This handy online calculator by NOAA lets your plug in Lat/Long and will tell you the magnetic declination in that spot! Very handy if you're like me, and rely on (gasp) a magnetized needle instead of a battery-powered low-orbit-satellite uplink as my primary nav tool. http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodels/Declination.jsp

Here are a couple more doom-and-gloom reading selections that I've found. I am posting these for your reference only, PLEASE, don't even THINK of maybe trying this at home.
US Army Technical Manual on Improvised Munitions: http://onlinebooks.110mb.com/tm%2031-210/31-210-contents.htm
US Army Technical Manual on Hand-to-Hand Combat: http://www.onlinefreeebooks.net/sport-martial-art-ebooks/martial-arts/combatives-pdf.html
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Way out West

Re: Assorted Web Resources: Knots, Locks, Field Manuals, etc

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:52 pm

mapandcompass wrote:US Army Technical Manual on Improvised Munitions: http://onlinebooks.110mb.com/tm%2031-210/31-210-contents.htm


Considering the crowd here you may want to keep that link to yourself

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
User avatar
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS
 
Posts: 7924
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:58 am
Location: My Job is More Interesting Than Your Vacation

Re: Assorted Web Resources: Knots, Locks, Field Manuals, etc

Postby mapandcompass » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:47 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:Considering the crowd here you may want to keep that link to yourself
~JITW


I kind of thought that myself; any idea how to edit that post? I seem to think there used to be an Edit button?
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Way out West

Re: Assorted Web Resources: Knots, Locks, Field Manuals, etc

Postby coldharvest » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:28 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:
mapandcompass wrote:US Army Technical Manual on Improvised Munitions: http://onlinebooks.110mb.com/tm%2031-210/31-210-contents.htm


Considering the crowd here you may want to keep that link to yourself

~JITW

Oh yeah because the internet is full of secrets........you fuckin' morons
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
User avatar
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman
 
Posts: 25677
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:36 am
Location: Island of Misfit Toys

Re: Assorted Web Resources: Knots, Locks, Field Manuals, etc.

Postby mapandcompass » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:13 pm

coldharvest wrote:Oh yeah because the internet is full of secrets........you fuckin' morons


Oh yeah? I'm just worried about that fact that the Internet is full of morons... you fuckin' secret
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:50 am
Location: Way out West

Re: Assorted Web Resources: Knots, Locks, Field Manuals, etc.

Postby coldharvest » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:43 pm

mapandcompass wrote:
coldharvest wrote:Oh yeah because the internet is full of secrets........you fuckin' morons


Oh yeah? I'm just worried about that fact that the Internet is full of morons... you fuckin' secret

I have no good answer for that.......you've bested me Sir.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
User avatar
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman
 
Posts: 25677
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:36 am
Location: Island of Misfit Toys

Re: Assorted Web Resources: Knots, Locks, Field Manuals, etc

Postby felspar » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:51 pm

mapandcompass wrote:I'm glad to see this thread is well received. Here's some more rando links for ya.

This website http://www.woodsdrummer.com by Eric Stoskopf is excellent reading (and a good way to melt those office hours). In short, he's into solo-wandering the Sierras with a bare minimum of equipment: axe, blanket, knife, firesteel, pistol. Really wonderful adventures to read about, and I've learned a good bit by reading his site (thrice, by now). He's a decent photographer as well, and is an astute gear analyst. Sadly, Eric hasn't updated the site in a very long time, so once you've browsed through it, don't hold your breath for new material.
[/url]


Agreed about Eric Stoskopf, and it's unfortunate that there isn't any contact info listed to at least see if he's still alive.



On the lock side of things, check out:

http://toool.nl/Lockpicking

http://www.lockpicking101.com/

And all the Matt Blaze publications: http://www.crypto.com/blog
felspar
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:38 am

Re: Assorted Web Resources: Knots, Locks, Field Manuals, etc

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:02 pm

coldharvest wrote:
JamesInTheWorld wrote:
mapandcompass wrote:US Army Technical Manual on Improvised Munitions: http://onlinebooks.110mb.com/tm%2031-210/31-210-contents.htm


Considering the crowd here you may want to keep that link to yourself

~JITW

Oh yeah because the internet is full of secrets........you fuckin' morons


It was a joke dumb ass

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
User avatar
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS
 
Posts: 7924
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:58 am
Location: My Job is More Interesting Than Your Vacation

Re: Assorted Web Resources: Knots, Locks, Field Manuals, etc

Postby Chimborazo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:32 pm

mapandcompass wrote:This handy online calculator by NOAA lets your plug in Lat/Long and will tell you the magnetic declination in that spot! Very handy if you're like me, and rely on (gasp) a magnetized needle instead of a battery-powered low-orbit-satellite uplink as my primary nav tool. http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodels/Declination.jsp


Very cool...thanks. As for the GPS folks, lots of them use the incorrect datum anyway, so stick with your namesake.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
User avatar
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 4105
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:12 pm
Location: Bahrain

Re: Assorted Web Resources: Knots, Locks, Field Manuals, etc

Postby coldharvest » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:24 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:It was a joke dumb ass

~JITW

dumb ass?

I'll have you know that my ass can fart in every civilized language known.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
User avatar
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman
 
Posts: 25677
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:36 am
Location: Island of Misfit Toys

Next

Return to The Black Flag Cafe Recommends..

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests