J.K's Scrumpy Hard Cider

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

J.K's Scrumpy Hard Cider

Postby Kurt » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:52 pm

This stuff is great. Naturally carbonated, no sugars, sulfites, or anything other than apples and yeast. It is American made in Michigan and I cannot compare it to any other cider available because it is simply different ...and better than any low alcohol apple based drink I have ever had (It goes really well as a chaser to Calvados but perhaps that is a bit excessive). Sometimes with cider you think "oh good this will taste like apples...It will be have a beer's fizz but with apple flavor." and then you drink it and find out that it tastes like someone added carbonated vinegar to it. J.K's does not even remotely taste like vinegar. I tend to drink a bottle of it before bed but I think it would go great with bacon and eggs in the morning. I think I would even choose it over a bloody mary as a breakfast drink if it was ever offered in a restaurant.

http://organicscrumpy.com/index.html
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: J.K's Scrumpy Hard Cider

Postby Penta » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:02 pm

Kurt wrote:This stuff is great. Naturally carbonated, no sugars, sulfites, or anything other than apples and yeast. It is American made in Michigan and I cannot compare it to any other cider available because it is simply different ...and better than any low alcohol apple based drink I have ever had (It goes really well as a chaser to Calvados but perhaps that is a bit excessive). Sometimes with cider you think "oh good this will taste like apples...It will be have a beer's fizz but with apple flavor." and then you drink it and find out that it tastes like someone added carbonated vinegar to it. J.K's does not even remotely taste like vinegar. I tend to drink a bottle of it before bed but I think it would go great with bacon and eggs in the morning. I think I would even choose it over a bloody mary as a breakfast drink if it was ever offered in a restaurant.

"scrumpy" and "low alcohol" sound like a contradiction in terms, category error or whatever.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Kurt » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:10 pm

Penta wrote:
Kurt wrote:This stuff is great. Naturally carbonated, no sugars, sulfites, or anything other than apples and yeast. It is American made in Michigan and I cannot compare it to any other cider available because it is simply different ...and better than any low alcohol apple based drink I have ever had (It goes really well as a chaser to Calvados but perhaps that is a bit excessive). Sometimes with cider you think "oh good this will taste like apples...It will be have a beer's fizz but with apple flavor." and then you drink it and find out that it tastes like someone added carbonated vinegar to it. J.K's does not even remotely taste like vinegar. I tend to drink a bottle of it before bed but I think it would go great with bacon and eggs in the morning. I think I would even choose it over a bloody mary as a breakfast drink if it was ever offered in a restaurant.

"scrumpy" and "low alcohol" sound like a contradiction in terms, category error or whatever.

I know...but American's do not have the association of scrumpy as a drink for louts. Our Scrumpy is 6% alcohol, so it is about the same as one of our better beers in the US. I do wish we had the equivalent of your King's IPA here...a good beer at 3.6%. As someone who likes drinking beer I like the idea that two pints of Kings IPA can give me less of a buzz than one pint of stronger IPAs.

Also I tend to consider "low alcohol" as being less than 11% (white wine).
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:54 am

Kurt are you gay? No insult intended, just wondering

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Kurt » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:51 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:Kurt are you gay? No insult intended, just wondering

~JITW

I got enough man points racked up where I could walk up to John Wayne while he is riding a horse and voting for Reagan and say "Hey Marion...you are not fooling anyone with this shit." and the Duke would slink back into the kitchen thinking carefully about what I said.

So in other words, I got enough confidence in myself and my tastes that sometimes weak men who have spent a very long time crafting an image say stuff like "what the hell! He buys doilies in Romania and admits it openly!" Then they slug some scotch, unzip their pants and make sure they still have a penis....and then make a comment about my doily purchases that enforces what they just saw moments ago when they unzipped their pants.

So I'll sit here in my place with cider and what not (I give doilies away..exellent presents) being straight and doing what I want and how I want to do it, and you can sit there and craft a nervous image of yourself and wonder if I am gay...and be wrong.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:49 am

Homo

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby Penta » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:22 am

Kurt wrote:I know...but American's do not have the association of scrumpy as a drink for louts.

More for wurzels than louts (or rural louts if you must; yahoos, perhaps).

Years ago, when Mr Penta, the dean of the business school (who I occasionally quote on economic matters) and I were working on a farm to pay for our forthcoming travels, the mad farmer we worked for thought it a good idea to provide a constant supply of extra-strong scrumpy for us, "to give us heart" for our hay-making labours. Much appreciated, but probably not his best idea ever.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby rickshaw92 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:46 pm

I used to drink a 2l bottle of that stuff before goin out.
Kurt, why not try snake bite. Half pint of strong lager and half pint cider and a bit of black currant syrup. Pound them bad boys back all night for a crazy kinda drunkness.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Kurt » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:33 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:I used to drink a 2l bottle of that stuff before goin out.
Kurt, why not try snake bite. Half pint of strong lager and half pint cider and a bit of black currant syrup. Pound them bad boys back all night for a crazy kinda drunkness.

I enjoyed those at The Intrepid Fox back in 1989...dunno if I can enjoy them again though.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby rickshaw92 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:31 pm

Kurt wrote:
rickshaw92 wrote:I used to drink a 2l bottle of that stuff before goin out.

I enjoyed those at The Intrepid Fox back in 1989...dunno if I can enjoy them again though.

That would be the old Intrepid Fox then. Its now a gormet burger joint called Byrons. Burgers are between £6 and £10 and dont come with fries.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby vagabond » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:12 am

You should have some friends over and play Edward Ciderhands
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Do you get some low-rise jeans and a tight-ass t-shirt with a 12 pack of that crap?

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby Kurt » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:28 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:Do you get some low-rise jeans and a tight-ass t-shirt with a 12 pack of that crap?

~JITW

No, nothing that would turn you on.

Just an eyepatch....

oh wait..
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby lightstalker » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:59 am

nothing like a cold can of scrumpy and a pasty.....real Cornish food

The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:17 am

GAY!

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld