HOTELS IN DJIBOUTI/VISAS

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

HOTELS IN DJIBOUTI/VISAS

Postby herodotus » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:41 pm

Hello all,

I am considering a trip to Djibouti in the next few weeks, just for the hell of it. I have heard it is quite expensive there in the capital city. I'm not an Intercontinental kind of fellow, so has any recent visitor got any recommendations on where to stay that won't break the bank? Anywhere else worth visiting?

On another note, what's the word on visas? Are they issued on arrival for Canadians?

Thanks
herodotus
BFCus Regularus

Re: HOTELS IN DJIBOUTI/VISAS

Postby coldharvest » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:37 pm

get a visa right at the airport before customs
The Kapinski is pretty swish but the Sheraton is probably the best all round.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:59 am

I HEAR DJIBOUTI IS OK, I HAVE SOME FRIENDS WHO WORK THERE - I LIKE TO POST IN ONLY CAPITAL LETTERS, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO MY POST!

~JITW!
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby coldharvest » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:55 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:I HEAR DJIBOUTI IS OK, I HAVE SOME FRIENDS WHO WORK THERE - I LIKE TO POST IN ONLY CAPITAL LETTERS, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO MY POST!

~JITW!

Djib is a shit-hole, the President is corrupt and bloated power-monger and his wife controls the Khat trade.
Having said that I'd still love to see Lac Assal.

Somaliland is better.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:07 am

THANKS FOR THE INFO COLDHARVEST

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby buffybot_in_beirut » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:36 pm

Don't have my LP guide at hand, but a few years ago I stayed in the creatively named "Hotel de Djibouti" on a roundabout a few 100 meters down from the market/bus station, diagonally opposite the Einguela post office branch. It's your typical francophone sub-Saharan "half-star" hotel and I think it has been a travellers' favourite for ages. Cheap enough (for Djibouti), not a nasty fleapit, reasonably friendly, a/c works (though at this time of the year you may not need it?!). Much better than a guesthouse in the market area (don't recall name), which was advertised as the cheapest place to stay in town, yet only about 10% cheaper than the "Djibouti" - not worth the difference!

French embassies can issue visa on behalf of Djibouti although, as coldharvest wrote, many nationalities seem to have become eligible for a visa upon arrival in the last few years.

I thought Djibouti was great for a few days, just for the hell of it, and I was there in mid-summer! The city centre has some pretty colonial (crumbling) houses as well as little snack bars were you can eat "cheaply" (well not Cairo-cheap, but no need to spend tens of dollars). If you can spend 10 or 20 dollars on a meal, go to the African quarter for some oven-baked, Yemeni-style fish ("poisson yemenite") - yummy!

If you are in Lebanon, check out an extremely bizarre connection that I discovered recently: African Express Airways reportedly flies from Amman (of all places) to Djibouti, and then on to Kenya.
buffybot_in_beirut
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe