Suggestions for not too DP but not too boring vaca

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Suggestions for not too DP but not too boring vaca

Postby kilroy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:25 pm

so i'm taking this girl on a vacation with me. she don't wanna go to some place where she'll feel anxious about getting robbed or bombs going off or any shit like that and i don't wanna be bored as shit at some all inclusive with nothing to do but drink and fuck (not that that's a bad time, but that can be done anywhere and you don't have to go on vacation if that's all your gonna do).

so where would you recommend we plan our destination for so that we have a beach and private room but has other cool shit to check out than just the beach and the hotel. preferably somewhere that won't be total rapage on airfare?

any ideas?
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Re: Suggestions for not too DP but not too boring vaca

Postby marie-angelique » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:02 pm

how much time do you have?
what is your budget?
what is your creature comfort level?
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby kilroy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:06 pm

half a week.
budget up to a grand each.
my creature comfort level is as long as i'm not having to kill my traveling companions to cannibalize them for food i won't complain too much. hers i haven't pegged yet but would suspect to be a bit higher than that. looking for luxury, at least in the hotel, but it don't have to be saudi prince type digs.
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:39 am

half a week?

Bogota.

Fun place.

Museums.

Good Food.

But it might freak her out.

If I had a half week with a woman to travel I would hit Rome or Paris. A few days is the time to do something like that.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby marie-angelique » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:38 am

half a week??

you better stick pretty close to home for such a short trip. why not hit central america. not mexico, but panama, nicaragua, or shudder, costa rica.

with half a week you could probably just hit the city you fly into and out of, and maybe a day trip elsewhere.
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:31 am

Half a week? Thats like 4 days with a days travel time each way that leaves 2 days, perhaps 2 and a half days. Hmmmmm. Antigua near Guat city is nice, touristy and lots of fuckin izzies and no beach but its a short haul flight from the U.S. and the food is good and the beer is nice and you can take a chicken but from near the airport.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Woodsman » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:56 pm

Trade lushious for luxury.

Look up last resort in Trelawny parish - Skip the beach and go walking Maroon style instead.

You could die, but you probably won't.

Cheap

Beautiful

Fun

No better place to get to know yourself or someone else than a forest.

EDIT: Crap - just noticed they are out of order - check with these guys for an alternative place to stay:

http://www.jamaicancaves.org/info.htm
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby bearanddragon » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:54 pm

half a week to blow a grand each? that sounds like pretty good living to me! From where you're at, maybe Jamaica or Dominican Rep? Not too touristy (i.e. most other islands in the Caribbean), not too far from where you are, and also slightly run down enough to be considered somewhat DP. Then do something off the beaten track when you get there, like rent a couple motorcycles or something. That's probably what I'd do if I was taking my gf from where you were with that budget.
You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Pecker! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Postby Michael » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:58 pm

I was going to suggest Istanbul until I saw your budget...I'd go with the Dominican Republic.
Michael
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:37 am

That would be 4 days in country right?
What about Baku, Azerbaijan? Or Tblisi, Georgia? Really anyplace well off the beaten path in Eastern Europe - not too long a flight, not very expensive, nice hotels usually not an issue, lots of interesting things to do/see, and they can go from safe to dicey to DP and everything in between...

Edit - just saw the beach part. Well, baku is right on the Caspian but I wouldnt exactly recommend the views unless you are into derelict oil rigs. But there is that way way cool Zoroastrain Fire Temple to check out, and its a pretty cool city. If you want a nice beach and a pretty country that is less than safe but still not exactly a DP what about the former Yugoslavia? Croatia is supposed to have some awesome beaches (I have never been)...
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Penta » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:36 pm

Cartagena. The old city, obviously, not the modern resort. Very romantic, safe as she'd want, and in Colombia. You'd need to go along the coast a bit for good beaches though.

I was in Martinique a few weeks ago, and it was gorgeous. France in the Caribbean. Good food, good wine (and rum), a few great beaches, lots of watersports, very laid back, no crime to speak of, and you could climb a volcano or two if you needed to do something a bit more energetic.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:46 pm

1 Grand each including plane tickets?

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby kilroy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:51 pm

yup, a grand including the airfare, so the more i spend on that the less i get to spend on things like drinks or lingerie or dope. it'd be like over a long weekend with vacation day or two pegged on, so yeah 4 days on the spot. with that amount of time i don't wanna do anything too far of course, so europe and asia and africa would be out. bogota would be awesome but would probably freak her out, plus no beach. cartagena sounds like a baller idea.
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:58 pm

If you do go to Cartagena, I can point you to a lovely but not outrageously expensive hotel. And one in Taganga, just outside Santa Marta, which is good for beaches and Tairona Park.

Edit: they're in here
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=48849&start=0
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Eiriksson » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:28 pm

I'm a big believer in Central America. Cheap, still got a whiff of danger, but there's plenty nice to do besides beaches. Most countries have places for hiking not to far from the ocean, it's relatively close to, say, Houston, so a flight is usually manageable, and the sights can be lovely. Try El Salvador. The northwest is great for forests and mountains and hiking, old buildings everywhere (the church in Metapan is gorgeous, although Metapan has gotten a little more dangerous lately), and the Pacific Ocean is a few hours on bus away.
"What is true cannot be sad." ~ Esteban Montejo
Eiriksson
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe