Cigar Monster

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Cigar Monster

Postby suwon fish » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:13 am

If you enjoy an occasional stogie you should check this out.

The prices are amazingly good. I am putiting in my first order today, so I'll keep you guys up to speed on delivery times etc.

http://www.cigarmonster.com/

BTW I don't own this site, I just wish I did ^^
A day should not be praised until the Sun has set, a woman until she is burned, a sword until it's tested, ice until it's crossed or beer until it's drunk - Viking proverb
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Re: Cigar Monster

Postby ktrout » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:58 am

Occasionally. I buy from Famous Smoke Shop. Have you tried the Macanudo Ascots? Favorite quick smoke.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:48 am

Cubans or GTFO.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby ktrout » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:38 am

coldharvest wrote:Cubans or GTFO.

Unfortunately we yanks aren't fortunate enough to get Cubans on a regular basis. We have to make due with Hondurans.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:50 am

ktrout wrote:

Unfortunately we yanks aren't fortunate enough to get Cubans on a regular basis. We have to make due with Hondurans.

well, you know who to blame for that.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby suwon fish » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:52 am

ktrout wrote:Occasionally. I buy from Famous Smoke Shop. Have you tried the Macanudo Ascots? Favorite quick smoke.

Cigar Monster is owned by The Famous Smoke Shop, if you had a good experience with famous smoke you should have no worries about CM.

For the last few years I've been mostly smoking Cuban Punch and Romeo Y Julietas. That and Black and Elegant (German pipe tobacco). It's easy (off base) to get Cubans in Korea.

I always get Cubans because at least half the stoogies I buy are gifts for American servicemen and women (it's a club tradition). In my experience, there are few things Americans like more than a good Cuban stick.

I was in the habit of buying (crazy expensive) handfuls of singles. I just got an old 80 quart Coleman icebox which I'm converting to a humidor. Nothing fancy, just lined with old cigar boxes (no glue) and a tupperware oasis. For this reason I am looking to buy in bulk, at least till I have a few hundred stashed.

I never did smoke Macanudo Ascots, but if they come up on special, I'll grab a handful. Thanks for the tip.
A day should not be praised until the Sun has set, a woman until she is burned, a sword until it's tested, ice until it's crossed or beer until it's drunk - Viking proverb
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:56 am

Bullshit. Much like Che, Cuban cigars are over rated. Dominicans and Hondurans are just as good. I doubt anybody could pass a pepsi challenge with them.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:25 am

I usually just by at a cigar shop - are the prices better online?

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby kilroy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:57 pm

cuban cigars are good because of the wrap and how they're rolled, not because of the tobacco. honduras supposedly has the best tobacco. so for the best cigar you want some honduran tobacco rolled by a well schooled cuban.

baccarat belicoso's are a good example. everybody likes cohiba's though.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby suwon fish » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:07 pm

I'm truly no real cigar connisseur. I like 'em a lot and I know the difference between a good one and a bad 'un. That's about it. I've probably been to conservative. When I like a thing, I stick with it. My preference for Cubans is driven not just by taste but also wanting to make my students happy.

I'm hoping with a huge humidor and my wife's credit card I can become an real expert over the next year or so. I am planning to experiment as much as possible, so CM with it's cheap ass bundles is just what I need.

James, re: price. You'd better be sitting down when you log into Cigar Monster. Those CM fuckers are CHEAP! And yes, they ship to APO.
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:44 am

Would smoking Blunts make me a cigar connoisseur?

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby ktrout » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:19 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:I usually just by at a cigar shop - are the prices better online?

~JITW

Start by dividing by three. Then sometimes again by two.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby suwon fish » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:57 am

The idea for the cooler humidor came from Stogie Fresh. If you fancy a similar project, check out their site...

These pics are the model I'm copying, except I want to line the walls with cedar. I'll post some pics when it's done.

http://www.stogiefresh.com/buildyourown.htm

suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby suwon fish » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:29 pm

I just ordered 50 sticks.... I'm as excited as a girl on prom night!

Mosaico Havano Torpedo
1 BUND 20 Natural 6 x 52 @ $19.96 $19.96
Alec Bradley Sun Grown Toro
1 BOX 20 Natural 6 x 52 @ $74.98 $74.98
'Best Of Plasencia' Sampler
1 SAM 1 Varies varies @ $22.98 $22.98

ktrout wrote:
JamesInTheWorld wrote:I usually just by at a cigar shop - are the prices better online?

~JITW

Start by dividing by three. Then sometimes again by two.

If you live in Korea, you can divide that by two again. I get raped on all kinds of imported stuff here :(
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby suwon fish » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:49 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:Would smoking Blunts make me a cigar connoisseur?

~JITW

That's something I've been pondering myself. What is a connoisseur? I've smoked a pack of smokes a day for at least 25 years, but I don't consider myself a cigarette connisseur...

If you banged your wife every night for 10 years, you would be an expert on sex, but would you be a connisseur? Probably not, unless you were also banging your neighbours wives at the same time.

I surely love good coffee and avoid instant as much as possible, but I'm not a coffee connoisseur...

I think the key is to actively compare and contrast different sticks/chicks/blends in a thoughtful way, study history and take notes on what you like/dislike and why.

And then again, I might be wrong.
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe