Bloody Marys

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Bloody Marys

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:45 am

I* have been drinking a mad amount of bloody marys over the past couple of years, it is starting to become my daytime drink of choice

I am using a lame recipe of V8, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, salt and Pepper

Can anyone her recommend a better recipe - One bartender said that i should boil my mix

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Re: Bloody Marys

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:55 am

I use tomato or clamato juice but I dont drink them often and never in public.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Kurt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:13 am

I do simmer the v8 because I add "Better than Bullion" beef paste. Like 1 tsp for 3 or four glasses.

And if you can find it powdered jalepeno pepper...just a dash. maybe roast a bunch of it with some good flaky salt for the edge of the glass.

In Bulgaria I garnished it with a pickled long pepper.

Experiment with local ingredients too. pickled things are ideal. maybe add an olive stuffed with a local cheese or something.

It is a drink for both people who like to drink and for cooks who like to experiment.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby AztecDave » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:53 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:I* have been drinking a mad amount of bloody marys over the past couple of years, it is starting to become my daytime drink of choice

I am using a lame recipe of V8, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, salt and Pepper

Can anyone her recommend a better recipe - One bartender said that i should boil my mix

~JITW

jitw - you omitted the most important ingredient - vodka. if you use cheap stuff you get a lousy drink. but i also think that a good enough vodka will suffice - you reach the point of diminishing returns on quality likker when mixing. i also add a small dose of horseradish - adds a little different kick to it.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby diamondcutter13 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:40 pm

BMs made with clamato juice are bloody Caesars and are much more popular in Canada than bloody Marys. They rock as a brunch cocktail but really they should only be enjoyed when you're already hungover and never after dark (although boozy pre-dawn breakfasts are ok). Celerey salt on the rim and a lemon slice and celerey stick garnish is mandatory to restore vitamins, acids, and minerals to your abused system.
Tacuero ceruisa, vigilate hoc
diamondcutter13
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:52 pm

Horseraddish...yes.

Ok, here is how I make mine. The only one to have one so far was a poster named Zedminster who was not aware that we had cancelled our BFC breakfast ages ago and showed up at my place one morning.

1. Salt the glass with celery salt.
2. quick grind of fresh black pepper at the bottom of the glass
3. add horseraddish to the bottom of the glass
4. squeeze of lemon juice
5. add vodka and let it all mull for a bit. (I prefer weak bloody marys myself because I like to have a beer chaser with mine)
6. dash to taste of tobasco
7. careful with the Worcestershire sauce (which is a direct remnant of Roman food in Britannia so that stuff is history) but add it.
8.ice
9. celery salt the ice a little bit.
10. dill pickle spear or celery stalk
11.my mix (v8 + tsp of beef paste simmered w/jalapeno powder to taste allowed to cool overnight)
12. add pretzel on spear or stalk.

If you use fresh horseradish then use more of it. But I prefer the stuff in a jar.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:51 pm

The only one to have one so far was a poster named Zedminster who was not aware that we had cancelled our BFC breakfast ages ago and showed up at my place one morning.

And?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Kurt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:12 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:
The only one to have one so far was a poster named Zedminster who was not aware that we had cancelled our BFC breakfast ages ago and showed up at my place one morning.

And?

We drank bloody marys.

You have to stop reading my posts like someone ripped out the best part of Penthouse Forum.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby flipflop » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:01 am

Best hangover cure out there

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Ultra Swain » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:20 pm

flipflop wrote:Best hangover cure out there

Cheers

Don't forget the lactated ringers IV and vitamin B12 injection. The emergency hangover cure is the best part of working with medics.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Chimborazo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:02 pm

Kurt's recipe sounds awesome. The only thing I'd add is three olives and a touch of olive brine.

Here's another one of my favorite mixes - http://www.bluecrabbay.com/Sting-Ray-Bloody-Mary-Mixer-Undressed/productinfo/00001/
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:32 pm

That is what is awesome about the drink. All kinds of stuff can be floating around in there.

But I have to say I find the Clamato based ones vile. Clamato has fake food coloring so it makes me ill about a day after drinking it.

My favorite bloody mary time was back when I first started the job I have now the Large Scale Status Display Board completely went on the fritz. This is a wall of 88 projection monitors. I had to crawl inside of these metal frames for 8 hours manually checking every cable and playing around with a socket wrench. I just started working there and I did not even know the system well enough to be doing that. But I got it up and running before AM rush hour.

So at 7am I get off work, hed to a diner. I am in physical pain. I am angry because people were yelling at me for 8 hours straight. I am bitter that someone left that time bomb for me. But then after 3 bloody marys I felt awesome, out of pain and happy. Just like that. No venting, no therapy, no "just talking to someone" just a greek waitress ignorant of NYC alcohol serving laws bringing me happiness.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:15 pm

But I have to say I find the Clamato based ones vile.

Must be an American thing. Kinda like most Canadians feel the same about cheese whiz and McDonalds.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby coldharvest » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:38 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:

Must be an American thing. Kinda like most Canadians feel the same about cheese whiz and McDonalds.

I like them both but fuckin' hell I remember having a fantastic Caesar in Sneakys
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:43 pm

coldharvest wrote:
rickshaw92 wrote:

I like them both but fuckin' hell I remember having a fantastic Caesar in Sneakys

And they have a bitchin all day breakfast too.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe