Ghost peppers...

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Ghost peppers...

Postby Woodsman » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:41 pm

...In small quantities.

At 1 million scoville units, you don't need very much of this pepper to heat things up.

The other day I was at my wife's doctor's office and one of his patients gave him a few ghost peppers.

They were orange-red and about the size of a jalapeno, only slightly fatter and a different shape.

In the back room the Doctor and I tried them. I cut off a very small piece at first and it just tasted like sweetish bitter pepper without much heat effect at all. Then I cut a slightly larger piece off (still only about 1/2 square centimeter) and as soon as I sunk my teeth into it, I realized very quickly that this was the hottest damned pepper I've ever tried by a long shot.

The heat lasted for about 7-8 minutes with just that small chuck that I spit out after about 1 bite.

The flavor of pepper is better than a habanero in my opinion, even though its way hotter.

I think this would work very well if you cooked it into some soup or stew or something to give it some serious heat, but I would not advise trying to eat a raw one unless you like really really really hot stuff.

I love spicy foods, but this pepper in its raw form is too hot for my palette.

bon appetit.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Re: Ghost peppers...

Postby Kurt » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:47 pm

hot food is great fun but then there is crazy.

food that hot would make it so enjoying the pepper taste would be nearly impossible.

That said, I have read that the way to use a ghost pepper is to score it a little and then dip it into a soup or sauce by its stem. More dips = more heat.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:10 pm

I picked up a bottle of this the other day and it's not bad. The problem I have with a lot of really hot sauces is that they taste terrible. This one's actually pretty good.

http://www.melindas.com/sauces/nagajolokia.html
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:47 pm

Chimborazo wrote:I picked up a bottle of this the other day and it's not bad. The problem I have with a lot of really hot sauces is that they taste terrible. This one's actually pretty good.

I have a Dave's Insanity sauce that tastes great only if it is shaken up for 30 minutes. If not an oily residue pours out on your food that will kill you and have your corpse on the toilet for two weeks.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:58 pm

I'll bet it will. One of my favorite hot sauces is El Yucateco Kutbil-Ik. It has a really nice smokey flavor.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:02 am

Kurt wrote:
Chimborazo wrote:I picked up a bottle of this the other day and it's not bad. The problem I have with a lot of really hot sauces is that they taste terrible. This one's actually pretty good.

I have a Dave's Insanity sauce that tastes great only if it is shaken up for 30 minutes. If not an oily residue pours out on your food that will kill you and have your corpse on the toilet for two weeks.

I had the oily residue from that shit once and believe me, Kurt is not kidding.

The little part of that ghost pepper I spit out the other day, I saved on a napkin in the center console of my truck. I ate another piece yesterday from it. Yep, hot and again, I think there is a taste difference between this and other peppers - it most definitely has a better flavor than any other hot peppers I have had. If it was something like jalapeno in heat it would be the best pepper ever, I think.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:50 am

Ghost peppers are a hard balance. I've only had one flavourable experience with them (not feeling like death for awhile). My personally favorite is serrano's, I like the flavor and you can get away with eating a lot and not burn yourself too much.

Funny you bring this up. A buddy of mine is attempting to breed down their spiciness.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:46 pm

I want to try making stuffed peppers with serranos instead of green peppers, but my only attempt at making stuffed peppers (I think I used poblanos) was not great. If anyone has a recipe, I'm open to suggestions.
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:22 pm

Chimborazo wrote:I want to try making stuffed peppers with serranos instead of green peppers, but my only attempt at making stuffed peppers (I think I used poblanos) was not great. If anyone has a recipe, I'm open to suggestions.

Try a crumbly dry blue cheese mixed with smashed breadcrumbs for serranos. Those are too hot to be anthing but a finger food. You might toss in some salty ham or crispy bacon in the mix too. Maybe dip them in a puree of cilantro and cucumber to take a bit off the heat and salt.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby AztecDave » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:14 pm

I like hot sauces and chilis as much as the next guy but Hot unto itself is not a flavor.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby LechoZX » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:58 pm

Chimborazo wrote:I want to try making stuffed peppers with serranos instead of green peppers, but my only attempt at making stuffed peppers (I think I used poblanos) was not great. If anyone has a recipe, I'm open to suggestions.

Aren't serranos a little narrow for stuffing?

One of my all-time favorites is chile rellenos,

http://www.progressotamale.com/recipes/ ... lenos.html

but here is a more eclectic mexican dish with stuffed chiles... chiles en nogada.

http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_c ... gada-.html
Blah person
LechoZX
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:16 pm

LechoZX wrote:

Aren't serranos a little narrow for stuffing?

Yeah, wrong pepper. What's another one about the size of poblanos but hotter?
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby LechoZX » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:09 pm

Anaheim peppers maybe, but they are only a little hotter.
Blah person
LechoZX
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:30 am

In spirit of this thread I just ate three sliced up serrano's in two minutes. Fuck I forgot how strong these are.....and yep only one beer in fridge.

Speaking which do mayans have superpower spice intake abilities? I watched a Guatemalan of mayan descent eat a few ghost peppers once with no reaction except saying "those a good! I need to send some seeds to my family back home." Even the Thai line cook gasped in disbelief.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:47 pm

'Killer Kismot curry' contest leaves two in hospital in Edinburgh

Two diners have now found out the toll a ‘Kismot Killer’ can take on the body after they were hospitalised by the fiery dish after the Kismot curry house in Edinburgh decided to turn up the heat on the dish for a charity event.

World's hottest chilli contest: Competitors tuck in to the 'Kismot Killer' curry, trying to prove it's not too hot to handle. It left two people in hospital... (Picture: TSPL)..

Ambulances were called to the restaurant, with one of those taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary (ERI) having to return there within hours of being released, for more treatment.

At the heart of the ‘Kismot Killer’ is the bhut jolokia chilli, considered the world’s hottest edible variety – 20 times more potent than some Cayenne peppers.

The blood red and brown dish containing three of the chillies gives off an air of menace and the disclaimer gives customers a taste of what they are letting themselves in for.

‘Kismot Restaurant will take no responsibilities for the bodily functions after you eat the curry,’ it says. ‘If you die whilst eating or as a direct result of eating the curry, members of the table will share the cost of your Kismot Killer.

Kim Curie had to be taken by ambulance to hospital twice in a matter of hours

‘If you become ill due to the Kismot Killer or if you find that you are experiencing any problems with your lover(s) then under no circumstances are you entitled to blame Kismot Restaurant or any members of its staff.’

Participants in the charity event had to eat spoonfuls of increasing strength ‘Kismot Killer’, with those who took a drink of milk before the end being disqualified.

Kim Curie, 21, a Korean exchange student at Edinburgh University, came second in the competition, which was in aid of the Children’s Hospice Association Scotland. She said: ‘I’ve always enjoyed spicy foods and thought this was for a good cause. But it came with a price: I had to be taken to the ERI twice. I have never endured such pain in my life.’

Restaurant owner Abdul Ali admitted his surprise at the violent reaction to the dish, especially as the man who finished fifth also ended up in hospital.

Abdul Ali, manager of the Kismot restaurant, with his Kurry King or Queen crown and trophy (Picture: EN News).

‘People were in agony,’ said Mr Ali, who was criticised by the ambulance service after the event. ‘I might have overestimated what I could give them. We made it a bit hotter than it is on the menu. I was a bit shocked at how people reacted. I think we’ll tone it down in future. We do not want any more ambulances.’

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/877704-kill ... z1a7RjFJNi
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe