Cambodia

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Cambodia

Postby suwon fish » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:13 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:I stay at the Capitol, a cheap dive. Happy pizza on the river is nice.

Is this the hotel from "Off the rails..."? If so, where is it?
A day should not be praised until the Sun has set, a woman until she is burned, a sword until it's tested, ice until it's crossed or beer until it's drunk - Viking proverb
suwon fish
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:32 pm

suwon fish wrote:
rickshaw92 wrote:I stay at the Capitol, a cheap dive. Happy pizza on the river is nice.

Off the Rails was an bitchin read. The Capitol is just off Monivong Blvd.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby JITW » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:47 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:
suwon fish wrote:

Off the Rails was an bitchin read. The Capitol is just off Monivong Blvd.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

man I love that book - a buddy i was working with back in the day in Qatar gave me that book to read - a month later i went to Cambodia

I went when the "wild wild west" feel was leaving, but i still got to hear gunfire outside of my hotel

I go to Cambodia a couple times a year still - it is my second favorite place in Southeast Asia - but all the car traffic (something that did not even exist 10 years ago) and stores selling 52 inch plasmas is starting to make Phnom Penh sort of lame - but it is still sort of like Bangkok in the 70's from what the expat old timers tell me

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:59 am

Forget the name of the place I stayed but was a tiny room w/ paper thin walls and comfy bed for around US$3-4/night (I think Narin 2 @ 20 111
Phnom Penh 12258, Cambodia).

Just passed out there as I was out and about for most of the day and night. City was nice enough, a bit difficult as a pedestrian because of the traffic, and always watch out for little shit teenagers flying down the street on their dirtbikes.

This might help: http://wikitravel.org/en/Phnom_Penh#Sleep

There's a billion places, all changing all the time. Choose your area and scene more so than the place. Lake area to north is for cheap hostels on the lake w/ smoked out backpackers. Slightly more expensive places to the south.

FCC was as everyone said - douchey and expensive. Heart of Darkness had a lot of security, expensive drinks and hookers but was one of the few places w/ majority locals. Went to a Halloween party on the Pontoon which was kinda fun but also full of white NGO douchey ppl. General impression was that if you're white, you're either a backpacker or some NGO person. Most NGO ppl will definitely let you know how saintly they are. I'm sure they're all doing brilliant work but a little modesty goes a long way.

Tuol Sleng, Killing Fields, etc are very easy to get to and worth doing to get your cultural and dark tourism on. Russian Market was a strange complex and have fun getting across the road to it. Good eating outside at night and in the area south of there.

All info from 2008 so your mileage may vary.

-V
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:12 am

Shame they nol onger have the map of Cambodia made of skulls. They used to have a land mine museum at Siem Reap.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby kilroy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:09 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:Shame they nol onger have the map of Cambodia made of skulls. They used to have a land mine museum at Siem Reap.

i heard the gov't was trying to shut aki ra's museum down when i was there, they actually went through with it? damn, that's a huge shame, that place was cool as hell!
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:38 am

kilroy wrote:
rickshaw92 wrote:Shame they nol onger have the map of Cambodia made of skulls. They used to have a land mine museum at Siem Reap.

i heard the gov't was trying to shut aki ra's museum down when i was there, they actually went through with it? damn, that's a huge shame, that place was cool as hell!

Seriously? Three yrs is a long time but was fully functioning with quite a few guests when I was there in Oct 08 and was a wonderful way of showing the perils of land mines. Sucks if this is true.

Rather off-topic but did it strike anyone else that has been there strange that, other than Angkor Wat, a large portion of their tourist industry is built off of exploiting the traumas of the past. I know it's a very young nation and these museums and the like are important parts of their history (esp. since so much of the older cultural and what not was destroyed) but I wonder how it is for them to live w/ such a gruesome past at their door.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:49 pm

Thanx for the info,people.
I'm really looking forward to these so-called Happy Shakes that propel you on a celestial voyage.
How many would you recommend consuming all in one shot?
Sri Lanky

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:35 pm

Order them xtra happy and dont stop till ya puke.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby bearanddragon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:09 am

kilroy wrote:heart of darkness the bar? it sucked when i was there. that was like 5 years ago so maybe it's different now.

there in 09. nothing special. just a bar
You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Pecker! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Postby bearanddragon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:11 am

Sri Lanky wrote:Thanx for the info,people.
I'm really looking forward to these so-called Happy Shakes that propel you on a celestial voyage.
How many would you recommend consuming all in one shot?

2. i'd do 2 spread out over about 30 mins. then if nothing's happening, you can up the dosage. lol. this i learned the hard way.
You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Pecker! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:46 am

Got the real shit so I'm not bothering with the Shakes. I've just ingested about a gram straight up...we'll see what happens.

Phnom Penh: I like...that about sums it up.
Sri Lanky

Postby Sri Lanky » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:05 am

Well,this is what happened. It all culminated into a party on a boat on the Mekong R. with a couple of Aussie businessmen and five girls. The girls cooked bat on the boat along with some other delicacies. I'll leave that to your imagination.

This should probably be in the travel section but when it's this good it's to be recommended.
Sri Lanky

Postby Sri Lanky » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:50 am

Oh yeah,this was the theme song for the evening which added to the already surreal feel of it all....because thirty percent of their population was murdered and almost everybody is under 35. Fuck,you feel like such a father figure. You know,like who's your Daddy? The women were between 23 and 28 so don't get any ideas...I know what you're thinking.

Anyways this is the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTaWayUE5XA

Every shing-a-ling-a-ling...
Sri Lanky

Postby crotalus01 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:46 pm

Been 2005 since last time I was there so I am sure everything has changed. However, the coolest thing I did there (beside Angkor Wat of course) was there used to be a place on Monovong Blvd in PP where you can rent a motorbike for next to nothing - gotta give them your passport to hold as collateral though. Me and a guy from the UK rented bikes and we did a 3 day excursion from PP up to Kampong Chnang, Kampom Thom, Kampong Cham and back to PP - awesome trip! Lots of little villages, ancient temples etc along the way, a couple of supremely frightening river crossings, and tons of things the "normal" tourist to Cambodia will never get to see. We actually had more pictures taken of us than we took pictures! Many of these people had never seen a western tourist before.
Anyways, get to the Russian Market (Psar Tool Tom Pong in Khmer) and look for the book Adventure Cambodia by Jacobson and Visakay - its the best guide book for the country ever published. Make sure the copy has the included map, its a great help navigating the "highways".
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe