complimentary beer on international flights

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

complimentary beer on international flights

Postby Woodsman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:30 pm

The wines suck horribly.

I tried beer on the way back and this was a good experience - generally I do not like beer in a can, but this stuff was pretty decent:

Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Re: complimentary beer on international flights

Postby Kurt » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:49 pm

Woodsman wrote:The wines suck horribly.

I tried beer on the way back and this was a good experience - generally I do not like beer in a can, but this stuff was pretty decent:

That is not bad stuff. That was the "France" beer for some reason. Cans are just the same as bottles for quality IMO unless it is a beer that has to sit a long while (like the Belgian stuff or the Barleywines.)

This place

http://sixpoint.com/

is making beer in 4 packs for cans. It is like they made good beer designed for someone who rides the subway home from work and does not want to carry six bottles.

Technically wine can come in a can. And I would rather drink it out of a can than drink it out of an airplane cup.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:01 pm

It's French and there fore gay. It does not do to you what a good 10 or so Belgian Stellas do but then I guess that's the last thing you want at 30 000 ft.

Did you have a nice quiche to go with it?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Kurt » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:13 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:It's French and there fore gay. It does not do to you what a good 10 or so Belgian Stellas do but then I guess that's the last thing you want at 30 000 ft.

Good Stellas?

That is like calling American Budweiser good.

Stellas are like Nutella with the chocolate and hazelnut flavor removed.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:27 pm

Stellas are like Nutella with the chocolate and hazelnut flavor removed.

But they sure do fuck you up!
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Woodsman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:34 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:It's French and there fore gay. It does not do to you what a good 10 or so Belgian Stellas do but then I guess that's the last thing you want at 30 000 ft.

No but I find a good quiche delicious. Put bacon in quiche and it becomes as masculine as a chainsaw.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:01 pm

Wife beaters and 1664s are what bums drink in Belgium and France.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby gnaruki » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:05 pm

If sitting in the emergency exit aisle remember to milk the flight attendents in front and behind you so they lose track of how much you've drank.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:34 am

Mikethehack wrote:Wife beaters and 1664s are what bums drink in Belgium and France.

Being a hillbilly from the USA, I would probably fit right in. But seriously, for canned beer not bad. Almost all beer I drink is from a brown bottle and very good. I had some 380? (some Brit beer I might have the number wrong) the other night in a pub with rickshaw that was pretty good from a tap. I can tell at least in this pub they keep their taps clean. It's a big problem over here in the US. I can almost guarantee I will need to shave my teeth in the morning if I drink a draught beer from a bar here. This is why I just don't bother ordering anything but a bottled beer and there isn't a decent domestic beer in the country. It's craft beer or nothing for me here.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:38 am

1664 from Kronenbourg is a very good beer. good in a can, better in a bottle, and best from the tap. having lived over here in germania for umpteen yrs i can tell you that. btw: it's from strassbourg. for the historical and geographic challenged, of which rickshaw92 seems to be a member, that's in the alsace-lorraine, which at the time the brewery started, was part of germania at large. didn't the name kronenbourg kind of give you a hint? sounds rather germanic vice french, don't you think?
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:45 pm

AztecDave wrote:1664 from Kronenbourg is a very good beer. good in a can, better in a bottle, and best from the tap. having lived over here in germania for umpteen yrs i can tell you that. btw: it's from strassbourg. for the historical and geographic challenged, of which rickshaw92 seems to be a member, that's in the alsace-lorraine, which at the time the brewery started, was part of germania at large. didn't the name kronenbourg kind of give you a hint? sounds rather germanic vice french, don't you think?

Yes.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:31 pm

AztecDave wrote:1664 from Kronenbourg is a very good beer. good in a can, better in a bottle, and best from the tap. having lived over here in germania for umpteen yrs i can tell you that. btw: it's from strassbourg. for the historical and geographic challenged, of which rickshaw92 seems to be a member, that's in the alsace-lorraine, which at the time the brewery started, was part of germania at large. didn't the name kronenbourg kind of give you a hint? sounds rather germanic vice french, don't you think?

One beer I have not had in a while from that region is Fischer 'd Alsace. It was great for homebrewers because it came in a 1 liter bottle with a ceremic "top" and the bottle was brown (screw green bottled Grolsch any beer that needs real bottle conditioning will get skunked in a Grolsch bottle).
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby diamondcutter13 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:06 pm

I am going to be using every trick in the book to get as much booze as possible doing Dubai/New York run on the 14th, the exit seat trick sounds like a good one. Emirates have any decent brews on board? Haven't flown them in awhile.
Tacuero ceruisa, vigilate hoc
diamondcutter13
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:29 pm

Nearly got thrown off a flight once when I was too drunk and too lazy to hit the bog, so I pissed into a whiskey bottle. One of the other passengers complained and tried to stop me, but you know what it's like once the tap is turned on. There was a bit of pushing and shoving and some of the 'stuff' got splashed around. I then tried to give it to the trolly dolly to get rid of.

They would have chucked me in the brig if the plane had one. I fell asleep nearly immediately afterwards and woke up stinking of booze and piss to lots of hostile looks from the crew and other passengers. Some people just need to lighten up.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby Woodsman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:09 pm

That is a great story!!!

Mikethehack wrote:Nearly got thrown off a flight once when I was too drunk and too lazy to hit the bog, so I pissed into a whiskey bottle. One of the other passengers complained and tried to stop me, but you know what it's like once the tap is turned on. There was a bit of pushing and shoving and some of the 'stuff' got splashed around. I then tried to give it to the trolly dolly to get rid of.

They would have chucked me in the brig if the plane had one. I fell asleep nearly immediately afterwards and woke up stinking of booze and piss to lots of hostile looks from the crew and other passengers. Some people just need to lighten up.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe